Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meaningless Words in Football

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
Actually I've never heard it in a footballing context (can you provide an example?) but have typed it many a time in property contracts.

Anyway, my contribution is "role model".

I have seen it in old FA referees guides , in regard to goalposts , corner flags etc . The supplementaries to the pitch , players and ball.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
'All we ask for is consistency in the officials'

Shut up.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
At uni the 1st and 2nd team fancy themselves as a bit of an academy. Tactically its the most complex I've ever come across.

Words such as we will look to take chances through "zone 14". We will play through "the thirds".

Not sure I'd describe all of these phrases as meaningless though, more cliche.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Respect - since the much heralded 'introduction' a few seasons ago, Fergie, Shrekhead and his mates still gang up on referess as they did before. Plenty of other clubs in the frame too. Shaking hands before the game does not engender nor denote any adidtional respect. One of the most useless words and initiatives in football ever.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
block
tackle

and thats normally the colour of the card seen by any perpetrator

football has become a definite no contact game
even if the ball is between you and the other players leg/foot.........but not head

Last edited:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Passion

Means f*** all, and is endlessly spouted by dribbling idiots who think a player/manager shouting and waving their arms a lot is actually more important than winning games or having TECHNICAL ABILITY.

Its only really used in England, the last country on Planet Football to discover that technique and skill trumps "effort" and passion EVERY SINGLE TIME.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Asks questions - as in the striker asked questions to the defender.

Like what? Do you know where you wife was last night? Does my bum look big in this? What to doing after the game, fancy a shower?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Asks questions - as in the striker asked questions to the defender.

Like what? Do you know where you wife was last night? Does my bum look big in this? What to doing after the game, fancy a shower?

It annoys me that 'ask' is used as a noun e.g. 'that's a big ask.'

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"They are playing like two different teams out there..."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here