Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] McGhee 99% likely to leave by end of week!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
London Irish said:
So let's get this straight Rougvie. You are defending Bloom, the guy who refused to condemn the sale of the Goldstone ground when it happened? :nono:

Have I ONCE defended him ?

You were not around then, the 'sides' were not as defined as they seem now with hindsight.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
So let's get this straight Rougvie. You are defending Bloom, the guy who refused to condemn the sale of the Goldstone ground when it happened? :nono:

No wonder you don't think Knight and Perry being shafted like they currently are being is a bad thing.

Well, congratulations, you got what you wanted, McGhee is finished.

Let's see how much you now the enjoy the consequences of that now over the next year.

Steve, I think most fans are suspicisous of Bloom, I know of them, as I was at school with the daughters, but personally I have never really forgiven him for his fence sitting in the mid 1990's.

However there is nothing to suggest that people are trying to push Knight out of the club and in any case no one person can have control of the club and I have a feeling that Perry has the one percent of the club that means he has the deciding vote (he certainly did in 1997).

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My big worry is this. If there was any chance that Lewes District Council might do the decent thing and quit having made their point when the ODPM rewords their letter (okay I'm clutching at straws, but there must be A chance), were Derek Chapman to take over as Chairman, there is absolutely no chance of that happening. Lewes will present it as someone on the make, who is set to benefit from the construction of the stadium (okay there will be competitive tendering and Adenstar would only be in the running to be a sub-contractor, not the main contractor) but why would an organisation with its head up its corporate rear end like Lewes District Council take any notice of that? They will go for the jugular and insist on their full right to a Judicial Review. Worrying times indeed.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BensGrandad said:
Is it coincidence that the questions about staying at Withdean permanently have been raised in the past 2 weeks after JP reversed his decision. Now board unrest.

No I believe it is easier to raise this now as Falmer appears to be further and further away...remember JP is under pressure, therefore I would have thought he is not giving this Judicial Review stuff much thought.

Unless Brighton Council allow us to buy the site, this is a non starter isnt it

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
the Realist said:
This thread is totally farcical

Once again the likes of LI are leaping to huge conclusions (that suit their own agenda) about the actual story.

DK is not being forced out - that is absolutely ridiculous.

There is no "power struggle" that would leave DK and MP weakened.

There is nobody itching to take over as chairman

This story is about a healthy debate within the boardroom on whether after an unsuccessful season we should change the manager or not.

Yes, I did say "healthy". It is simple democracy, everyone gets a vote and majority rules. We don't want an oligarchy once again - we want democracy (and to be honest, as large a board as possible to ensure fair and reasoned debate from all angles).

DK does not have a majority - no one individual does (a situation that we all agree with). So even if DK was totally behind the manager, if the rest of the board are not then, as a democracy, the manager goes.

All the new investor is doing is providing the opportunity to make this decision. Without the input of funds there would be no money to pay off Mcghees contract

It does not mean DK has to go as well. DK certainly will not have put up a "back me or sack me" stance over this and, to be honest, it probably suits DK not to be seen as the insigator of this dismissal as, if the new man doesn't get off to a flyer next season, the Chairman will be a little bit insulated against supporter pressure.

Incidentally - at ANY other club (that did not have the same money issues as ourselves) it would be a no-brainer that McGhee would be sacked with his record over the last one-and-a-half season.

It is only a debating issue because we have no money.

Well the new investor (who certainly is not a mystery as just about everybody knows who it is) has now provided suffiicent financial input to ensure that we can take this decision on footballing grounds as opposed to financial ones.

And on footballing grounds he must walk.

The Bloom family have invested in this club since the early seventies, nearly 40 years, probably before nearly everyone who posts on this board started supporting the Albion.

They are not short-term asset strippers. Yes, Ray was on the board during the Archer years but did not personally gain anything from that time. Do you really think the DK syndicate would have allowed Ray to remain on the board had he been instrumental in any of the really dodgy stuff that went on.

No of course not. Unfortunately Ray possibly didn't have the strength of personality like his father to be able to recognise Archer's failings and ended up fence-sitting.

He is a perennial "supporter" of the Chairman of the board - he was constant in that before Archer (although ultimately he did put a lot of pressure on Archer to hand over control to DK) , and he has been constant in that support in the post-archer years with DK.

In short, he is not a menace, he is a someoner who loves the Albion and has backed them financially for 22 years - without any sort of monetary return

This is about McGhee, not DK - and it is only the McGhee supporters who are trying to twist it otherwise

At last some sense!!!

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that the Club would get permission for an enlarged Withdean to become a permanent home.

The local NIMBYs would oppose it - and they are much better organised than the Falmer NIMBYs. And they have the support of the local Tories, who will effectively be in control of the City Council for the critical period in any Withdean planning process.

If anyone thinks that the Albion can get a stadium when Brighton & Hove City Council oppose the plans, they are barking mad.

And if there is a barking mad "investor" out there, then I'm with London Irish - very afraid indeed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hasn't the make up of shares been changed since Archer gave his back so that now DK and MP do not have sufficient shares to dictate any issue. In order to 'win' anything it needs 2 of the major shareholders not MP with his 1% to stand back to back.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
I just take the view of Harty that we shouldnt have 'blind faith'. I dont expect anyone to agree with me. Its all about opinions at the end of the day.

As someone once said. "I may not agree with your opinions but I will fight for your right to express it".

But then there has always been a section of support that would go with what the club was doing. In the mid 1990's it could be found for a long time in the West Stand and they did not speak against Belloti and Archer for a noticeable amount of time after the sale of the Goldstone and these days we have sections of support that again will not question anything, the issue is at times they are the most vocal on here.

At the end of the day the reason we have a club to support is because people did ask difficult questions back in 1995 and long may that continue. Scrutiny is a good thing.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Lord Bracknell said:
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that the Club would get permission for an enlarged Withdean to become a permanent home.

The local NIMBYs would oppose it - and they are much better organised than the Falmer NIMBYs. And they have the support of the local Tories, who will effectively be in control of the City Council for the critical period in any Withdean planning process.

If anyone thinks that the Albion can get a stadium when Brighton & Hove City Council oppose the plans, they are barking mad.

And if there is a barking mad "investor" out there, then I'm with London Irish - very afraid indeed.

Who said the investor is 'Barking mad' ? LI ??

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think this investor story is very good, If someone is prepared to put money in then we simply have to be prepared to listen. Reading the previous 5 pages however , its very clear that no-one has an incling who this might be. Exciting stuff surely.

I am behind McGhee , but if he goes then so be it , the club goes on and onwards and upwards

Keep the Faith

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Uncle Buck said:
At the end of the day the reason we have a club to support is because people did ask difficult questions back in 1995 and long may that continue. Scrutiny is a good thing.

But some people feel we have no right to ask questions. Its all "how dare you" or "are you a real fan?" or "hidden agenda" etc etc.

Expressing opinions and asking questions is a good thing surely? After all it was people like Atilla who started the ball rolling against Archer and Co by doing exactly this.

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Come on then Placcy, we are all waiting to hear all you know about Derek Chapman.........

Or can you not think of anymore SHIT or LIES to make up about someone who has been susidising your enjoyment for the last 3 years.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
But some people feel we have no right to ask questions. Its all "how dare you" or "are you a real fan?" or "hidden agenda" etc etc.

Expressing opinions and asking questions is a good thing surely?

I guess it is how the make up of some of our support has changed and mediums such as the internet can make them seem very vocal.

I think whilst most people trust Knight and the current board, enough remember what happened before to know that keeping tabs on things is a good thing.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
the Realist said:
This is about McGhee, not DK - and it is only the McGhee supporters who are trying to twist it otherwise

True, true...although LI's sudden appraisal of a boardroom disagreement as "a f***ing disaster" when he thinks what's been going on on the pitch over the last year and a half is all fine and dandy is a fine example of why NSC is still quality comedy!

It would take more than debating whether to sack McGhee to make me distrust the board. All power to whoever wants McGhee sacked, it'll save us finishing 14th in div 2 next season!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Agreed, Piers. Scrutinty is ALWAYS good.

If BG's investor wants us to remain at Withdean, he wold be laughed out of the room immediately. £5 million worth of Public Inquiry has seen fit to denounce Withdean as a permanent home. That decision will not be reversed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dies Irae said:

Unless Brighton Council allow us to buy the site, this is a non starter isnt it

I believe that this is the thinking behind it and as I was told, and I am sure somebody on here agreed, it is much simpler to get a variation order than original planning permission. Withdean is already a sports stadium and I am lead to believe that an 8,000 seater stand with changing rooms offices etc underneath could be built on the site of South Stand in a very short time virtually during the close season. Other stands could then be added bit by bit whilest still remaining open. I think Leyton Orient closed a section at a time to rebuild.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The Large One said:
If BG's investor wants us to remain at Withdean, he wold be laughed out of the room immediately. £5 million worth of Public Inquiry has seen fit to denounce Withdean as a permanent home. That decision will not be reversed.

I'm pretty sure with the sort of people you and I both know, that you will of heard that the idea is being looked at by these mystery investors.

Or am I totally wrong ?

Oh and placcy, still waiting..............

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes absolutely. Withdean is not the place to take this club forward. Or is it?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here