Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] McGhee 99% likely to leave by end of week!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BensGrandad said:
I believe that this is the thinking behind it and as I was told, and I am sure somebody on here agreed, it is much simpler to get a variation order than original planning permission. Withdean is already a sports stadium and I am lead to believe that an 8,000 seater stand with changing rooms offices etc underneath could be built on the site of South Stand in a very short time virtually during the close season. Other stands could then be added bit by bit whilest still remaining open. I think Leyton Orient closed a section at a time to rebuild.

ok then....how do you get around the fact that the bridge is too narrow to allow more than 10k people out?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tony Meola summed it up perfectly. Nothing more to say really.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Rougvie said:
Come on then Placcy, we are all waiting to hear all you know about Derek Chapman.........

Or can you not think of anymore SHIT or LIES to make up about someone who has been susidising your enjoyment for the last 3 years.

Exactly....

As I asked earlier on....where is his 'source' as to this ONE person causing chaos on the board....all very quiet since then!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
I believe that this is the thinking behind it and as I was told, and I am sure somebody on here agreed, it is much simpler to get a variation order than original planning permission. Withdean is already a sports stadium and I am lead to believe that an 8,000 seater stand with changing rooms offices etc underneath could be built on the site of South Stand in a very short time virtually during the close season. Other stands could then be added bit by bit whilest still remaining open. I think Leyton Orient closed a section at a time to rebuild.
It's not just about the space around the ground.

There are safety issues at work here. Health & Safety has dictated that the access via the tunnel under the railway is not sufficiently wide enough to cater for the proportion of the 15,000 crowd that would need to walk through it. The pitch would need to be turned around 90%, the Sportsman demolished and planning permission obtained for the permanent structures.

Brighton & Hove City Council just doesn't want to know. It supports the Falmer bid.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
After all it was people like Atilla who started the ball rolling against Archer and Co by doing exactly this.

Except he started out by trying to convince us that Stanley was one of the "good guys", because he knew him. Knowing someone socially is not always the same as knowing them in business in my experience.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
McGhee last 60 games

League 58 - Won 8 Drawn 22 Lost 28 - points 46
Cup 2 - Won 0 Drawn 0 Lost 2
Total 60 - Won 8 Drawn 22 Lost 30

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rougvie said:
I'm pretty sure with the sort of people you and I both know, that you will of heard that the idea is being looked at by these mystery investors.

Or am I totally wrong ?
I haven't heard this caveat, apart from on this thread.

Her Majesty's Government has ruled out Withdean as a permanent home of 22,000. What is the point of only having a 15,000 stadium? Do they honestly want a Judicial Review set up purely for this issue? Anyway, they can't, they're too late.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
BensGrandad said:
As I have heard it from a man who is the business manager/personal assistant to the man who has kept this club afloat for the past 12 months is that the rising cost of Falmer in building, paying for it via funding and legal fees is a very big factor in this issue.

This man believes we should shelve Falmer and stick with Withdean and make it a 15,000 all seater stadium. Whether or not this is feasible I do not know. Would Brighton Council sell Withdean as a sports complex as it has been a 'white elephant' ever since it was built and the only time that it has made money is through us renting it from the council.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT HE IS THE MAJOR INVESTOR IN QUESTION.

:flameboun UTTER BOLLOCKS ALERT :flameboun

I have heard some crap in my time, but the idea that this mysterious investor is seriously thinking about the possibility of expanding Withdean, is total bollocks.

So, either BensGrandad is telling porkies, or this investor is anonymous because he is locked up in a mental home

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not a planning expert but for somebody who has the money to undertake such a task to suggest it I would think that they have been advised of the possibility or otherwise.

So it shouldn't just be discarded as irelevant nonsense. I accept Lord B's view that it is a non starter but that is his view and others may view it differently and believe that they can see a way around the problems.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Icy Gull said:
Except he started out by trying to convince us that Stanley was one of the "good guys", because he knew him. Knowing someone socially is not always the same as knowing them in business in my experience.

Yes he did and fair play to Atilla he has admitted on here that he was "duped". To put it midly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's not just Lord Bracknell's view - it's also Brighton & Hove Albion's view, the Westdene residents' view, Brighton & Hove City Council's view, Health & Safety Executive's view, Her Majesty's Planning Inspectorate's view and the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister's view.

I would say that covers it.

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Large One said:
I haven't heard this caveat, apart from on this thread.

Her Majesty's Government has ruled out Withdean as a permanent home of 22,000. What is the point of only having a 15,000 stadium? Do they honestly want a Judicial Review set up purely for this issue? Anyway, they can't, they're too late.

Indeed, there are so many holes in this argument, it's not true. Some of them are covered by Lord B's post above, but I'll give you another

Apart from the fact that it simply wont ever happen, why would someone invest a major amount of cash to increase the capacity to 15,000 when they would be guaranteed to NEVER get their investment back, and it wouldnt move the club forward hardly at all anyway, given all the restrictions that would apply. :flameboun

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wanderer said:
:flameboun UTTER BOLLOCKS ALERT :flameboun

I have heard some crap in my time, but the idea that this mysterious investor is seriously thinking about the possibility of expanding Withdean, is total bollocks.

So, either BensGrandad is telling porkies, or this investor is anonymous because he is locked up in a mental home

It is a consideration of something that he has suggested as an answer to our problems.

Falmer is becoming more expensive by the day and the time will come when the banks will say it is not a viable propsition for us to lend money on. What do we do then if that time arrives?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Large One said:
It's not just Lord Bracknell's view - it's also Brighton & Hove Albion's view, the Westdene residents' view, Brighton & Hove City Council's view, Health & Safety Executive's view, Her Majesty's Planning Inspectorate's view and the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister's view.

I would say that covers it.

So, what are you saying?

:lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Doubtless it is becoming 'more and more expensive', but do you know for a fact that it is unaffordably more expensive? Or do not you think Martin Perry would already have given due credence to rising costs in his business plan?

Withdean is a no-no on far too many levels.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Rusthall Seagull said:
Exactly....

As I asked earlier on....where is his 'source' as to this ONE person causing chaos on the board....all very quiet since then!

But thats what happens when you blatently LIE about someone before you know the facts.

All this could have been avoided if the apparent majority decision of the board to give McGhee an ultimatum to keep us up had been upheld, to be fair if it had been a close run thing McGhee would have probably kept his job because the board, despite what LI thinks are actually a pretty decent bunch of individuals.

It has now come to a head because the Argus knows that McGhee has to go, so they are trying to take down his opononents with him, its the Argus and Naylor who are to blame for this hysteria, good people who have served this club well are being portrayed as Archer type figure as Naylor trys to save his golfing buddy.

The Argus should be ashamed, but thankfully like LI, no one really takes them seriously anymore.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
ben andrews' girlfriend said:

Can't remember who it was that said "i don't mind who he is as long as he puts money into the club" but surely after the past that this club has had we should treat every new investor with a lot of caution?

Precisely. That was why we didn't want Steven Purdew, the health farm baron.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
BensGrandad said:
It is a consideration of something that he has suggested as an answer to our problems.

Falmer is becoming more expensive by the day and the time will come when the banks will say it is not a viable propsition for us to lend money on. What do we do then if that time arrives?

So is this "investor" an expert in railway bridge demolition and reconstruction and NIMBY-placating?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wanderer said:

Apart from the fact that it simply wont ever happen, why would someone invest a major amount of cash to increase the capacity to 15,000 when they would be guaranteed to NEVER get their investment back, :flameboun

The same argument can be used against Falmer we would never get sufficient people in to repay the mortgage.

We will never, except for big cup games, get a crowd of 22000 toa Brighton hiome game and if we are looking towards the Premiership that is too small, we couldn't survive on those gates at either the top of the Championship or the Premiership if we did get them. 15,000 is more than sufficient for us as a Div 1/Championship mediocre side.

The last season that our average home gate exceeded 10,000 was 1984/85 some 20 years ago and prior to Archer & Bellotti.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here