[Albion] McGhee 99% likely to leave by end of week!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
Ah yes, but it means his lover MM gets sacked. Then what?

This whole thread is an overreaction to be honest.... there's absolutely nothing in that article that suggests Knight is being ousted as chairman - not a word even suggests that. All it says is that a major investor has said he won't invest any more if MM is in charge. It DOESN'T say, that investor wants to be chairman.

It is likely to be an existing invester, like Fatboy for example, who wants a say in things. And I would say that anyone who puts hundreds of thousands of pounds into the club deserves a say in decisions.

Again that seems to be right to me, there is nothing to suggest that they want control of the club and in any case, no one person can have overall control.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Surely a split in the board is healthy isnt it? People must be questioned....I am sure originally there was an agreement that DK would have a supporter on the board

What would you prefer, a dictatorship with a board full of Yes men...isnt that what we fought against, what we went on marches for, what some of our merry band went to prison for, what we spent our hard earned money for?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Also let me say that if I had a gazillion pounds to invest. And I dont im sorry to say then I would want MM out. DK could carry on being chairman but I would want a say in who is spending MY money.

Is that wrong?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Dies Irae said:
Surely a split in the board is healthy isnt it? People must be questioned....I am sure originally there was an agreement that DK would have a supporter on the board

What would you prefer, a dictatorship with a board full of Yes men...isnt that what we fought against, what we went on marches for, what some of our merry band went to prison for, what we spent our hard earned money for?

The yes men appear to be on here now :nono:

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Uncle Buck said:
Again that seems to be right to me, there is nothing to suggest that they want control of the club and in any case, no one person can have overall control.

Thank the Lord! Sensible people!

BensGrandad said:
As I have heard it from a man who is the business manager/personal assistant to the man who has kept this club afloat for the past 12 months is that the rising cost of Falmer in building, paying for it via funding and legal fees is a very big factor in this issue.

This man believes we should shelve Falmer and stick with Withdean and make it a 15,000 all seater stadium. Whether or not this is feasible I do not know. Would Brighton Council sell Withdean as a sports complex as it has been a 'white elephant' ever since it was built and the only time that it has made money is through us renting it from the council.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT HE IS THE MAJOR INVESTOR IN QUESTION.
Name him then ,you soppy old sack!
All this cloak and dagger ,self important,"I know something you don't "bullshit is really starting to crawl up my arse:angry:

Last edited:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
At this moment in time surely we have little to fear from a new investor. Unlike the mid 90's, we no longer have any assets to strip so if someone new wants to put money into the club and dictate who is manager, thats ok with me. Can't really see how we can be any worse off than we already are! Debts, crap ground, miles away from getting Falmer and with the possible exception of CKR and Lynch, not a single player that anyone would pay good money for! Wish I had a million or 2 spare to "invest " in the Albion, bound to get a good return on it!

DK has been fantastic for the club, but sometimes you have to move on. He battled to save the club when no one else was interested and for that he will always have our gratitude.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BensGrandad said:
As I have heard it from a man who is the business manager/personal assistant to the man who has kept this club afloat for the past 12 months is that the rising cost of Falmer in building, paying for it via funding and legal fees is a very big factor in this issue.

This man believes we should shelve Falmer and stick with Withdean and make it a 15,000 all seater stadium. Whether or not this is feasible I do not know. Would Brighton Council sell Withdean as a sports complex as it has been a 'white elephant' ever since it was built and the only time that it has made money is through us renting it from the council.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT HE IS THE MAJOR INVESTOR IN QUESTION.

That is just being mischievous.

You know with the bridge at the east End of the ground, a planning application for anything over 10K will be thrown out. Its a non starter!

Rougvie said:
Oh and Placcy you seem to know a hell of a lot abot Ray Bloom for someone who was not around in those days, as you constantly preach to us you shouldnt believe what you read about something on an internet message board.
So let's get this straight Rougvie. You are defending Bloom, the guy who refused to condemn the sale of the Goldstone ground when it happened? :nono:

No wonder you don't think Knight and Perry being shafted like they currently are being is a bad thing.

Well, congratulations, you got what you wanted, McGhee is finished.

Let's see how much you now the enjoy the consequences of that now over the next year.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The Large One said:
This statement I would agree with.

He was putting money into this club before Falmer was even on the table.

London Irish show that as per usual he makes an utter DICK of himself by slagging off someone he hadnt even heard of 3 or so years ago.

Let me tell you this, family members of mine have known the bloke for a hell of a long time, and his intentions towards this football club have ALWAYS been good.

If you can condradict that then do tell us 'superfan'

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Steve

Do you agree with my point about Yes men on the board?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
s.stubbs said:
Name him then ,you soppy old sack!

His name is well known to many and if he wanted the limelight of being named he would do so himself but he prefers to sit in the background and support the club so I will not name him and embarrass him.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Stumpy Tim said:
This whole thread is an overreaction to be honest.... there's absolutely nothing in that article that suggests Knight is being ousted as chairman - not a word even suggests that. All it says is that a major investor has said he won't invest any more if MM is in charge. It DOESN'T say, that investor wants to be chairman.

It is likely to be an existing invester, like Fatboy for example, who wants a say in things. And I would say that anyone who puts hundreds of thousands of pounds into the club deserves a say in decisions.

A bit of common sense at last.

:clap:

There's nothing wrong with the board having a McGhee in or out debate. We've been doing it on here for months.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Also let me say that if I had a gazillion pounds to invest. And I dont im sorry to say then I would want MM out. DK could carry on being chairman but I would want a say in who is spending MY money.

Is that wrong?

Think your spot on, but if MM goes, who is there to replace him ?? how many people will want to take over a Div 1 team with a limited budget and at our current home ??

I personally can't think of anyone better than what we already have ?? If we are being honest ??

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
The yes men appear to be on here now :nono:

As are the no men. Do you expect everyone to agree with you?
You don't want the decisions of the club questioned, you just want to push your own agenda and belittle anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Rougvie said:
He was putting money into this club before Falmer was even on the table.

London Irish show that as per usual he makes an utter DICK of himself by slagging off someone he hadnt even heard of 3 or so years ago.

Let me tell you this, family members of mine have known the bloke for a hell of a long time, and his intentions towards this football club have ALWAYS been good.

If you can condradict that then do tell us 'superfan'

Totally correct....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dies Irae said:
That is just being mischievous.

You know with the bridge at the east End of the ground, a planning application for anything over 10K will be thrown out. Its a non starter!

Is it coincidence that the questions about staying at Withdean permanently have been raised in the past 2 weeks after JP reversed his decision. Now board unrest.

the Realist

Feb 5, 2006
This thread is totally farcical

Once again the likes of LI are leaping to huge conclusions (that suit their own agenda) about the actual story.

DK is not being forced out - that is absolutely ridiculous.

There is no "power struggle" that would leave DK and MP weakened.

There is nobody itching to take over as chairman

This story is about a healthy debate within the boardroom on whether after an unsuccessful season we should change the manager or not.

Yes, I did say "healthy". It is simple democracy, everyone gets a vote and majority rules. We don't want an oligarchy once again - we want democracy (and to be honest, as large a board as possible to ensure fair and reasoned debate from all angles).

DK does not have a majority - no one individual does (a situation that we all agree with). So even if DK was totally behind the manager, if the rest of the board are not then, as a democracy, the manager goes.

All the new investor is doing is providing the opportunity to make this decision. Without the input of funds there would be no money to pay off Mcghees contract

It does not mean DK has to go as well. DK certainly will not have put up a "back me or sack me" stance over this and, to be honest, it probably suits DK not to be seen as the insigator of this dismissal as, if the new man doesn't get off to a flyer next season, the Chairman will be a little bit insulated against supporter pressure.

Incidentally - at ANY other club (that did not have the same money issues as ourselves) it would be a no-brainer that McGhee would be sacked with his record over the last one-and-a-half season.

It is only a debating issue because we have no money.

Well the new investor (who certainly is not a mystery as just about everybody knows who it is) has now provided suffiicent financial input to ensure that we can take this decision on footballing grounds as opposed to financial ones.

And on footballing grounds he must walk.

The Bloom family have invested in this club since the early seventies, nearly 40 years, probably before nearly everyone who posts on this board started supporting the Albion.

They are not short-term asset strippers. Yes, Ray was on the board during the Archer years but did not personally gain anything from that time. Do you really think the DK syndicate would have allowed Ray to remain on the board had he been instrumental in any of the really dodgy stuff that went on.

No of course not. Unfortunately Ray possibly didn't have the strength of personality like his father to be able to recognise Archer's failings and ended up fence-sitting.

He is a perennial "supporter" of the Chairman of the board - he was constant in that before Archer (although ultimately he did put a lot of pressure on Archer to hand over control to DK) , and he has been constant in that support in the post-archer years with DK.

In short, he is not a menace, he is a someoner who loves the Albion and has backed them financially for 22 years - without any sort of monetary return

This is about McGhee, not DK - and it is only the McGhee supporters who are trying to twist it otherwise

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The problem is 60% of the crowd want McGhee sacked and the tensions that gives and the pressure on him and the players straight away will be intense.

McGhee has lost vast sections of the crowd and a far amount of the players.

Dick Knight is an honourable man and fair play for sticking with McGhee. Dick Knight must stay as chairman of this football club. He is an absolute hero imho.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lokki 7 said:
As are the no men. Do you expect everyone to agree with you?
You don't want the decisions of the club questioned, you just want to push your own agenda and belittle anyone who doesn't agree with you.

I just take the view of Harty that we shouldnt have 'blind faith'. I dont expect anyone to agree with me. Its all about opinions at the end of the day.

As someone once said. "I may not agree with your opinions but I will fight for your right to express it".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports