[Albion] Maupay Dropped

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I actually think he's worked it out, but it's not been available just recently.

Ryan, Lamptey, White, Dunk, Webster, March, Alzate, Bissouma, Lallana, Trossard, Maupay.

That line up has been available for just about every match this season, apart from Dunk, for whom we have excellent cover, and maybe a couple of matches where Alzate might have been a bit jet-lagged. To be fair, Potter has stuck pretty much with that defence, but he's chosen to do a lot of tinkering in front of it!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Alzate would be, with Bissouma, my first names on the team sheet, yet you haven't even mentioned him.

I really hope Potter doesn't think he is as irrelevant as you appear to.

I really rate Alzate and Potter does likewise but he's been pushed down the pecking order a bit by Lallana. He's been in most squads hasnt he.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I really rate Alzate and Potter does likewise but he's been pushed down the pecking order a bit by Lallana. He's been in most squads hasnt he.

Indeed he has.

I think playing White in midfield ahead of him has been inexplicable, though. We look much better with Alzate in the team.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Indeed he has.

I think playing White in midfield ahead of him has been inexplicable, though. We look much better with Alzate in the team.

I'm not sure its inexplicable. I think tactically there is a case to be made, probably clearer against Spurs than palace (To nullify Kane dropping deep ), but even Palace to support back line from counter with lamptey and March pushing on, whilst there was the simple fact that Alzate had travelled half-way around the world just a couple of days before the Palace game. I wouldnt be surpised if he is there again vs. Burnley to bolster our more lightweight side against a physically robust team _ I would play Alzate vs Burnely too to be honest, but can understand why it was the case last two games... plus he did pretty well..

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Neal Maupay was left out of Brighton and Hove Albion's 2-1 defeat at Tottenham on Sunday after a dressing room row with a team-mate, reveals Andy Naylor.

The Brighton top scorer's absence, described by head coach Graham Potter as "tactical", followed an incident after the previous game against West Brom six days earlier.

Sources have denied reports that Maupay was axed due to concerns about an inflated ego.

https://theathletic.com/news/brighton-neal-maupay-dropped-latest/B5jcMSAE8jmb

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
That line up has been available for just about every match this season, apart from Dunk, for whom we have excellent cover, and maybe a couple of matches where Alzate might have been a bit jet-lagged. To be fair, Potter has stuck pretty much with that defence, but he's chosen to do a lot of tinkering in front of it!

And Biss who had a 3 game ban

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
"Zeqiri has impressed Potter in training more than Connolly."

Well this is very interesting!

(assuming the Athletic article isn't all collateral damage and half truths from the club)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Neal Maupay was left out of Brighton and Hove Albion's 2-1 defeat at Tottenham on Sunday after a dressing room row with a team-mate, reveals Andy Naylor.

The Brighton top scorer's absence, described by head coach Graham Potter as "tactical", followed an incident after the previous game against West Brom six days earlier.

Sources have denied reports that Maupay was axed due to concerns about an inflated ego.

https://theathletic.com/news/brighton-neal-maupay-dropped-latest/B5jcMSAE8jmb

Perhaps the player he had an altercation with leaked the inflated ego story [emoji23].

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is it ? He tweaks it but clearly back 5 are Ryan (until the other day) Lamptey, White, Webster, Dunk, March - Middle predominantly Lallana & Bissouma - with Trossard in there somewhere - he fiddles with Maupay and leans on Burn/Veltman/Gross as utility players.
But there's a core team there every week so far.

Maybe that’s why Maupay got the knock.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

(assuming the Athletic article isn't all collateral damage and half truths from the club)

Perhaps Connolly is also a little over confident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Alzate would be, with Bissouma, my first names on the team sheet, yet you haven't even mentioned him.

I really hope Potter doesn't think he is as irrelevant as you appear to.

He will have a huge role to play for us but it's a bit hard to it him in at the moment. Bissouma and Lallana are ahead of him and we needed to get White in there as a defensive midfielder as we were getting hit on the break over and over again - that had become glaringly obvious. We play beautiful stuff in the middle, but lose the ball and bang, we are scrambling to keep the opposition out

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Zeqiri is very, very good I don't think many realise quite what a rough diamond we have here.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I actually think he's worked it out, but it's not been available just recently.

Ryan, Lamptey, White, Dunk, Webster, March, Alzate, Bissouma, Lallana, Trossard, Maupay

But Potter likes to think of himself as a tactical genius, so doing the sensible and logical thing isn't for him. He wants to outwit someone, and he does. About every 6 games or so. :rolleyes:

So what is your point? You claim you don’t want Potter sacked, but you seem to be sniping the guy all day here.

So he’s not good tactically? What is it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The way this is looking like developing thank **** we signed Welbeck and the Swiss lad

Oohh the drama

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports