Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay Dropped

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Huge fan hypocrisy coming out over this - the same people flaming him for being (allegedly) a bit Billy BigBollox are plenty of the same ones that were applauding him for winding Gwenda up so much it ended his Arsenal career, goading Palace fans etc etc. You can't realistically have one without the other - he is full of shithousery, but he's our shithouse so we'll have to put up with the odd incident from time to time. If he was playing for anyone else we'd hate him - much like Knocky. I'd like to think Potter is the ideal coach to manage that kind of behaviour with his Masters, and Maupay is still quite young, and in his first season in this kind of limelight - maybe dropping him once will be all he needs to know when to rein it in a bit. We'll see, but whether it was tactical (seems unlikely now) or behavioural it's really no big deal IMO as long as it doesn't escalate

This - nailed it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A friend of mine knows someone who played with him at Brentford, and the friend told me a year or so ago that Maupay was labelled as a bit of a prick. If that is the case, then i do wonder about our no dickheads policy and how poorly that is overseen or administered. Of course, football without bigheads or buffoons is an impossibility, and maturity itself seems a rarity for these sometimes entertaining clowns, but i do want us to have a general sense to our identity which seems intermittently apparent from the board down, which all have to work on to keep this ship steady and happy.

I like Maupay as a player generally, but he seems a log way from the finished article. His workrate is generally higher than his skill level, and i would say it is best to remember that is why is where he is.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
To be fair we don't know the level of misdemeanor if any. However, I'm slightly wary of dropping him from a match day squad possibly detrimental to the result. Aside from a dressing down why not just impose a hefty fine. Nothing like a dent in the wallet to refocus his mind.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Huge fan hypocrisy coming out over this - the same people flaming him for being (allegedly) a bit Billy BigBollox are plenty of the same ones that were applauding him for winding Gwenda up so much it ended his Arsenal career, goading Palace fans etc etc. You can't realistically have one without the other - he is full of shithousery, but he's our shithouse so we'll have to put up with the odd incident from time to time. If he was playing for anyone else we'd hate him - much like Knocky. I'd like to think Potter is the ideal coach to manage that kind of behaviour with his Masters, and Maupay is still quite young, and in his first season in this kind of limelight - maybe dropping him once will be all he needs to know when to rein it in a bit. We'll see, but whether it was tactical (seems unlikely now) or behavioural it's really no big deal IMO as long as it doesn't escalate

Great post and you're right, all fans of other teams I speak to don't like him at all.

I do like him a lot though and hope he's back for Burnley, if not starting then at least on the bench.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To be fair we don't know the level of misdemeanor if any. However, I'm slightly wary of dropping him from a match day squad possibly detrimental to the result. Aside from a dressing down why not just impose a hefty fine. Nothing like a dent in the wallet to refocus his mind.

Presumably you can only fine to a level against the misdemeanor and that being set out in the employment contract? Not sure you could just make it a hefty one without it adhering to contractual terms.:shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If ever proof was needed that Brighton are too nice this is it. Every team needs some nasty little shits with big egos at PL level. I love Maupay’s shitehousery

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Burnley presser with Potter is at 1:30 tomorrow lunchtime.

It will be interesting to see if he's asked more about this.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

He’ll suck his teeth and give absolutely nothing away whilst looking pissed off with the question.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Still doesn't embrace a reason for Connelly to be dropped from the squad.

Managers are paid to manage temperamental players and get the best out of them, that’s their job. Burnley without both Dunk and Maupay? Good lord

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Managers are paid to manage temperamental players and get the best out of them, that’s their job. Burnley without both Dunk and Maupay? Good lord

The only thing that is guaranteed about Potter’s selection for Burnley is that Dunk won’t be playing.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
If ever proof was needed that Brighton are too nice this is it. Every team needs some nasty little shits with big egos at PL level. I love Maupay’s shitehousery

This!!!! Which is also why I like Andone. The Albion are going nowhere if all we have are 25 lovely, easy to manage, smiley chaps, with not a prick or dickhead in sight!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Something like:
Maupay: I score again...come on Maty, you're keeping goal just like in the last few games :lolol:. Step it up a level, Mon Ami punk:
Connolly: Ha ha ha...nice one, Maups:lolol:, great crack :lolol:
Ryan: oomph, take that you bastardy EU citizens. Smashes Connolly in the face with a strong, low clearance
Connolly: ow, oww! Feck you, ya fecking Ozzie *******. Let's get him, Maups
Ryan: Steely, Sanchey...goalie mates, quick over...ung, oof, smak...
Reid: now then laddies ...watch it or quarantine awaits...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Needs them to ask the questions that supporters would
Why were you so upset because supporters were critical of very poor performance against Sheffield
Why did it get to stage against Spurs that we had a CB upfront because Maupay or Connelly were not even on the bench
Are you playing White in midfield because you think he is better then others in that position or you just want to fit all CBs in
Please explain with 3 CBs plus White why Spurs scorer left free.
In last 3 games Lalana played least amount of mins in the most important of these games Why

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I trust the club's actions.

Simply hoping that Maupay accepts this as an adult (no Zaha-like sulking) and gets his head down into resuming his trade as a good EPL striker.

I trust the club - and GP in particular - too. IF there is anything going on, GP is eminently qualified to deal with it.

But am I right in thinking this is all speculation based on one article in one newspaper - the Daily Mail. Or does anybody KNOW any more. I'm not a "no smoke without fire" sort of person so my inclination is to take it all with a pinch of salt.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I trust the club's actions.

Simply hoping that Maupay accepts this as an adult (no Zaha-like sulking) and gets his head down into resuming his trade as a good EPL striker.

Yep this!

I don't think he's a dickhead as such, but can see him pushing it a bit.
Strongly suspect he will buckle down afterwards.

Time for how you say...? Some 'umility. Non?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here