Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
But he’s not a good enough goalkeeper, hence GP and the club replacing him.

In fact he had one of the worst save percentages in the entire league. https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-brighton-spot-under-threat-4753433

The fact that every shot on target went in is a clue. Has our entire defensive turn of form since Sanchez has replaced him passed you by? If that’s not confirmation I don’t know what is.

Ryan was class first for three seasons. Form is temporary. Truth is they are entirely different types of keeper. Ryan was perfect for Hughton’s low block behind Dunk and Duffy. Sanchez suits Potters system more, which is why Maty was told he could go.

Last edited:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Matt Ryan is more than good enough to be a keeper at our level, to prove it he has moved to Arsenal not a team people would consider a lesser team, and the one game he has played, he shone in. I say good luck to him and hope in the Summer we make a profit on his transfer fee.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ryan was class first for three seasons. Form is temporary. Truth is they are entirely different types of keeper. Ryan was perfect for Hughton’s low block behind Dunk and Duffy. Sanchez suits Potters system more, which is why Maty was told he could go.

How much “low block” is Maty going to get at Arsenal?

Him letting in every shot on target and not claiming crosses is nothing to do with GP’s style. Is it possible, not just possible that he’s just not a top level goalkeeper?

I guess we’ll find out what happens to him now with his PL career.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
How much “low block” is Maty going to get at Arsenal?

Him letting in every shot on target and not claiming crosses is nothing to do with GP’s style. Is it possible, not just possible that he’s just not a top level goalkeeper?

I guess we’ll find out what happens to him now with his PL career.

It’s possible yes, but then, he does have 230 appearances in the top divisions in Belgium, Spain and England and 59 international appearances. He was right up there amongst our top performers for a good two and a half years and Arsenal think he’s good enough for their squad.

In terms of the low block, a keeper isn’t expected to claim crosses in that system, that’s largely the responsibility of the centre halves. You’re right, he might not get that at Arsenal, but he still made seven saves in his debut and was Arsenal’s MOTM. Form is temporary.

You feel free to rejoice in his downfall but I certainly won’t be rewriting our history and writing him off.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s possible yes, but then, he does have 230 appearances in the top divisions in Belgium, Spain and England and 59 international appearances. He was right up there amongst our top performers for a good two and a half years and Arsenal think he’s good enough for their squad.

In terms of the low block, a keeper isn’t expected to claim crosses in that system, that’s largely the responsibility of the centre halves. You’re right, he might not get that at Arsenal, but he still made seven saves in his debut and was Arsenal’s MOTM. Form is temporary.

You feel free to rejoice in his downfall but I certainly won’t be rewriting our history and writing him off.

I’m not rejoicing, see my prior comments, actually genuinely touched at him posting an apology for his quotes being taken out of context.

It’s my opinion that’s he’s not quite good enough for the top level. Much like Bong, Dale and others. I wish him all the luck in the world and hope he gets a sustained run in the Arsenal goal.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

You're egging the pudding a bit there - 23 games in two seasons (mostly in cup matches) in Spain suggests he was a bit of a punt when we took him. For 2-3 seasons he did fine for us, but lately he was leaking points for us left right and centre. One shot one goal was getting to be uncomfortably close to the truth. Loss of form is not permanent, agreed, but his was a bad loss of form, which went on for too long. We've replaced him with a better GK, end of.
He's doing fine, sitting on the bench for the Arse. Fine - no need for anybody busting a gut to try and defend his every moment. He did well; we upgraded. I think that comes under the category of win win.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
You're egging the pudding a bit there - 23 games in two seasons (mostly in cup matches) in Spain suggests he was a bit of a punt when we took him. For 2-3 seasons he did fine for us, but lately he was leaking points for us left right and centre. One shot one goal was getting to be uncomfortably close to the truth. Loss of form is not permanent, agreed, but his was a bad loss of form, which went on for too long. We've replaced him with a better GK, end of.
He's doing fine, sitting on the bench for the Arse. Fine - no need for anybody busting a gut to try and defend his every moment. He did well; we upgraded. I think that comes under the category of win win.

Don’t have an issue with the replacement, I just feel for him and don’t think he needs some of the stick he’s been getting. At the end of the day, he’s a human being. He went from number one to being told he could leave in the blink of an eye. He must of been really hurting.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Don’t have an issue with the replacement, I just feel for him and don’t think he needs some of the stick he’s been getting. He went from number one to being told he could leave in the blink of an eye. He must of been really hurting.

That’s football though isn’t it, very cut throat, especially at the elite level. As harsh as it seems GP’s job may have been on the line during our bad run of results, no time for charity, decisions had to be made. Ditto Kayal, Hemed. Lovely guys who were popular, but the club comes first.

Maty will go home to his mansion every night on his 40k a week and be ok. He’ll still have a career in football which is a blessed thing.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That’s football though isn’t it, very cut throat, especially at the elite level. As harsh as it seems GP’s job may have been on the line during our bad run of results, no time for charity, decisions had to be made. Ditto Kayal, Hemed. Lovely guys who were popular, but the club comes first.

Maty will go home to his mansion every night on his 40k a week and be ok. He’ll still have a career in football which is a blessed thing.

Has anyone abused him? I ask genuinely as don't follow anyone on social media so wouldn't know. If they have they're wrong, however having a view on his position in the team is fine and it needed changing.

There's many and I include myself here have questioned whether he is good enough but never questioned his professionalism or that he was consistent. I always felt he had to be at the very top of his game to be effective.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

Yes it is football, but not commonplace when you are the number one keeper of four with no immediate plans to leave and a year and a half on a contract. Maybe he feared he might get dropped but to be told he should accept offers? That would still be a massive shock. He may still be on £40k a week but he still has a life, a family, friends. Fair play to him for actually finding and accepting an alternative, however that came about because he could be sitting on his arse taking that £40k a week from our club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don’t have an issue with the replacement, I just feel for him and don’t think he needs some of the stick he’s been getting. At the end of the day, he’s a human being. He went from number one to being told he could leave in the blink of an eye. He must of been really hurting.
Yes, but don't worry about him, or feel you have to defend him - see below .......................

Despite being dumped by Brighton, he;s still a very lucky guy!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Copied across from Bozza notes thread...seems relevant

Q: Maty Ryan. Contributed a lot to keeping him in the PL. Disappointing to see comments from fans on social media saying they never liked him and he wasn’t right for us. Also some comments that he punched Neal Maupay.
Absolute rubbish. It’s the sort of thing that does the round on social media and says more about the people who make those comments.

Had texts with Maty last night and he’s not happy with the context of comments made in an interview in Australian media. He’s been tremendous for us.

He had a great opportunity to play with a big football club and he’ll always welcome back with us whatever happens with his loan at Arsenal.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Copied across from Bozza notes thread...seems relevant

Q: Maty Ryan. Contributed a lot to keeping him in the PL. Disappointing to see comments from fans on social media saying they never liked him and he wasn’t right for us. Also some comments that he punched Neal Maupay.
Absolute rubbish. It’s the sort of thing that does the round on social media and says more about the people who make those comments.

Had texts with Maty last night and he’s not happy with the context of comments made in an interview in Australian media. He’s been tremendous for us.

He had a great opportunity to play with a big football club and he’ll always welcome back with us whatever happens with his loan at Arsenal.

Ryan comes across as a player with a big ego, I thought his comments about using the club as a stepping stone were disrespectful, obviously a lot of players may think this but do not say it whilst you are still contracted to the club. Social media is about opinions, there is a load of crap posted as fact. As a professional if you do not like it don’t read it, it is not going to be rosey all the time. The facts show he had lost form, throw your toys out of the Pham and warm your arse at Arsenal if you want. Maty , if your reading this that is my opinion, I don’t need to be told what I can think .

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Let’s just hope Sanchez doesn’t get injured or suspended as I’d much rather have Maty in between the sticks than Steele or Walton in a PL match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here