Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was public because Potter made it clear he could move on and, probably more importantly, that Jason Steele was a better No. 2. Jason Steele who wasn't even the No.1 at Sunderland. If that's not a public slap in the face I don't know what is!

It was public because Ryan went public with it! He was dropped because he was not saving enough goals - Sanchez was brought in and did well and won the place; Steele is doing a good job as a number 2 GK. Just football - no conspiracy theories, just how it was - player replaced by a better one.
Potter explained the situation, understood if Matey wanted to move on; Maty did. Shouldn't have said as much as he did, or how he did, but now he's moved on. End of (apart from how it all pans out when they send him back in July).

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Well we already know about the Ryan/Maupay bust up earlier in the season, so it’s not exactly a massive leap that Potter thought Ryan might become a trouble maker given the situation, after Sanchez replaced him we didn’t see a single picture of Ryan even training with the squad.

Stop making shit up.

From the training gallery prior to the Sheffield Utd match on Dec 20:-

RyanSheffUtd.jpg

And from the training gallery prior to the Newport FA Cup tie on Jan 10:-

RyanNewport.jpg

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It was public because Ryan went public with it! He was dropped because he was not saving enough goals - Sanchez was brought in and did well and won the place; Steele is doing a good job as a number 2 GK. Just football - no conspiracy theories, just how it was - player replaced by a better one.
Potter explained the situation, understood if Matey wanted to move on; Maty did. Shouldn't have said as much as he did, or how he did, but now he's moved on. End of (apart from how it all pans out when they send him back in July).

Written two days after Maty was dropped, once again corroborating Maty’s version of events.

https://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/sport/national/18955289.graham-potter-admits-mat-ryan-heading-brighton-exit/

It’s another article explaining the decision. He wasn’t dropped solely because of form, it was the attributes Sanchez has, a big commanding keeper (or a monster as GP recently put it). He no longer fitted, same as Glenn, same as Duffy and Knocky. They moved away from the low block, you need a bigger keeper to deal with crosses and set pieces.

The difference with this one was the decision seems pretty ruthless - one day you’re number one, the next you can leave. Once again I will state, I have no issue with the decision, I just don’t think you can blame Ryan for being gutted about it.

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think the funniest thing about Ryan this season is how many people refused to believe his level of performance had dropped off a cliff. They refused to accept he had to be replaced because he was no longer up to the standard. Some people were abusive to those of us who noticed Ryan was no longer good enough last season.

Anyway, now there's real revisionism ongoing in this thread. Everyone seems to have been wise to his drop in form and everyone seems to agree that he was and is past his best and needed to be replaced. Sanchez has been brilliant but even if he wasn't brilliant, he probably would still have been better than Ryan's performances in the last 12 months.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the funniest thing about Ryan this season is how many people refused to believe his level of performance had dropped off a cliff. They refused to accept he had to be replaced because he was no longer up to the standard. Some people were abusive to those of us who noticed Ryan was no longer good enough last season.

Anyway, now there's real revisionism ongoing in this thread. Everyone seems to have been wise to his drop in form and everyone seems to agree that he was and is past his best and needed to be replaced. Sanchez has been brilliant but even if he wasn't brilliant, he probably would still have been better than Ryan's performances in the last 12 months.

Yep I remember being laughed at for suggesting that Maty needed some genuine competition, to encourage him to raise his less than impressive early season form. I confess I didn’t see him being frozen out completely though.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Yep I remember being laughed at for suggesting that Maty needed some genuine competition, to encourage him to raise his less than impressive early season form. I confess I didn’t see him being frozen out completely though.

I think most people accepted the club were looking to add competition in the goalkeeping department during the close season given how strongly we were bring linked to Martinez. Warren confirmed it again the other day.

What I don’t think anyone foresaw was us not adding experienced competition AND moving Maty on. That’s a hell of a shift in the space of four months.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I was one of those who defended Ryan for a long time (but especially in the post-lockdown 8 games of last season) as I thought he made no real mistakes and got to much shit for letting in very difficult goals. After the first few games this season I started to think "hmm" and when Potter put Sanchez in goal vs Spurs I thought "good, Maty should consider this a warning". Nothing improved and I think both me and GP thought "enough is enough" at the exact same moment - when Leicester scored the 1-0 goal I posted in the Ryan thread that I had joined the "Ryan out" cult. With hindsight maybe the decision should have been made earlier but at least it was made at all.

In general I think you should be patient with players in general and keepers in particular though and when/if Sanchez goes on a bad run I'll defend him as well. But there is a limit to everything

Well... did he perform better once he got decent competition (Sanchez returning)..? I still dont think competition for goalkeepers does any good generally speaking. I much prefer to have a clear nr 1 and a clear nr 2. If you have competition on outfield player roles you can give both players minutes and a chance to compete while in the keeper role that turns very wonky - it turns into a situation where someone is more threatening your place rather than competing for it. Which is why I'm also happy Ryan left the club entirely to prevent Sanchez from getting dark thoughts and fears if he would make a mistake or two.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the situation has worked out fine. Arsenal have got an upgrade on their reserve keeper, while we have got a different sort of keeper who has rejuvenated the defence in front of him, and which underpins our unbeaten run of 6 Prem matches.

I salute Mat Ryan, I wish him well in the future and acknowledge he was amazing value, a top pro and he did a great job for us for 3 important seasons in our history.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think the situation has worked out fine. Arsenal have got an upgrade on their reserve keeper, while we have got a different sort of keeper who has rejuvenated the defence in front of him, and which underpins our unbeaten run of 6 Prem matches.

I salute Mat Ryan, I wish him well in the future and acknowledge he was amazing value, a top pro and he did a great job for us for 3 important seasons in our history.

Sums it up fairly and nicely.

Thought I'd come to the wrong forum for a minute :laugh:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

100% spot on.

I’ve long maintained Maty, Dale and Proper were not good enough if we wanted to push onto the next level. (“Oh youre ignorant, you don’t appreciate the value they add to the team”, “Biss isn’t consistent enough”, “Maty is a top 6 keeper and look at these short passing stats” (ignoring the most important stats for a keeper).

Well Potter is 2/3 now and I suspect Proper will be next.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
100% spot on.

I’ve long maintained Maty, Dale and Proper were not good enough if we wanted to push onto the next level. (“Oh youre ignorant, you don’t appreciate the value they add to the team”, “Biss isn’t consistent enough”, “Maty is a top 6 keeper and look at these short passing stats” (ignoring the most important stats for a keeper).

Well Potter is 2/3 now and I suspect Proper will be next.

Who hasn't actually maintained these things in all honesty to most of the squad? Most people realise we don't have £20m+ to spend on each position, so needs must. Maty isn't suddenly a bad keeper, why would Arteta take him if he was? Just that Sanchez has emerged as being ready and better. I doubt Potter or even Sanchez would have known that was going to the be the case until he started playing. Wouldn't be surprised with Walton back to fitness that some economics came into too with Maty being a high earner in the side.

And is this the Propper who Potter handed a new contract to last year keeping him here until 2023?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Many many here on NSC felt Maty was a good enough keeper for us and didn’t need to be replaced. The gentleman I quoted is entirely correct. That is all

Not really, Maty is a good enough keeper, but we developed better from within. He may well go on to be a good keeper for someone else in the PL. It’s not really confirmation of the different held opinions either way. As GP would say ‘it is what it is’.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Not really, Maty is a good enough keeper, but we developed better from within. He may well go on to be a good keeper for someone else in the PL. It’s not really confirmation of the different held opinions either way. As GP would say ‘it is what it is’.

But he’s not a good enough goalkeeper, hence GP and the club replacing him.

In fact he had one of the worst save percentages in the entire league. https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-brighton-spot-under-threat-4753433

The fact that every shot on target went in is a clue. Has our entire defensive turn of form since Sanchez has replaced him passed you by? If that’s not confirmation I don’t know what is.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
What people are overlooking is that part of the reason Ryan's save % was so low was that he was facing few savable shots. The issue was that he then wasn't saving some of the ones he should be. As you can see, Sanchez's performance in this respect is almost literally off the charts (and doesn't take into account the other upgrades he brings over Ryan like his coming and claiming crosses etc.).

Ryan.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here