Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
:facepalm: People genuinely think Potter called him into his office and basically dismissed him from the club with no rhyme or reason? Unless there were other issues going on why would Potter not have just benched him?

It’s much more likely he’s been told Sanchez is the new number one and he’s thrown a wobbly, the comments he made about wanting to play for us for 2-3 years and then move to a bigger club are damning in terms of this, if that’s true then he certainly wouldn’t have reacted well to sitting on the bench week in week out.

So you believe your own version of events over Graham’s and Maty’s? Everything Potter says here matches Ryan’s interview.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-mat-ryan-graham-potter-4807584.amp

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Ok cool, and I wish Maty well, but you gloss over the crucial part.

What possible benefit would it be to the club to keep a pissed off senior keeper in every match day squad? Surely you can see that would impact team morale?

No, you’re missing the crucial part. It was a change in direction. I’m not questioning that, I just think Maty has every right to feel somewhat aggrieved at being told mid season that he was not only being dropped, he needed to move on and I don’t think anything he said should in that interview warrants such anger from our fan base.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
:facepalm: People genuinely think Potter called him into his office and basically dismissed him from the club with no rhyme or reason? Unless there were other issues going on why would Potter not have just benched him?
Yes. Maty claims that GP didn't bench him because he liked the role Steele plays as number 2 on matchdays, effectively relegating Maty to third choice. This is corroborated by the fact that Steele has been number 2 all season, including on Maty's last game for the club against Leicester. If Maty's claim here isn't true, why wouldn't Sanchez have been number 2 all year? GP also has precedent for making unconventional selection decisions, as most fans recognised with the Arsenal line-up in December. It seems very plausible that this is GP's goalkeeping model.

Plus there is the fact that Maty has walked into a job at Arsenal where he knows he'll be the benchwarmer. Clearly this would be more palatable as Arsenal are a step up from us, but he's evidently willing to fight for his place in a team. If GP had followed a more conventional pattern, there's no evidence to suggest that Maty wouldn't have fought hard as a benchwarmer under Sanchez to try to reclaim his place.

I understand that the information I'm going from is entirely based on Maty's public account of the situation, but I feel like a lot of supporters here are choosing to ignore the only account we have and instead make pure guesses that completely exonerate the club and pile all the blame on a player who was been an excellent servant to the club in the PL era.

Let's not forget that the club/managers aren't infallible in the way they deal with players. Murray under Poyet is a clear example of this where we were quite happy to to believe Murray voluntarily left for Palace, before later realising Poyet's hand in this. Now, I don't think we will be left regretting GP's decision in quite the same way as Sanchez is immense. However, it doesn't mean that this could not have been handled in a different way that would have led to a different outcome. I don't think we have to be binary about it: you can be both an ardent fan of Potter and also acknowledge that the same unconventionality GP brings, for all its positives, has perhaps led to a sourer episode here.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Yes. Maty claims that GP didn't bench him because he liked the role Steele plays as number 2 on matchdays, effectively relegating Maty to third choice. This is corroborated by the fact that Steele has been number 2 all season, including on Maty's last game for the club against Leicester. If Maty's claim here isn't true, why wouldn't Sanchez have been number 2 all year? GP also has precedent for making unconventional selection decisions, as most fans recognised with the Arsenal line-up in December. It seems very plausible that this is GP's goalkeeping model.

Plus there is the fact that Maty has walked into a job at Arsenal where he knows he'll be the benchwarmer. Clearly this would be more palatable as Arsenal are a step up from us, but he's evidently willing to fight for his place in a team. If GP had followed a more conventional pattern, there's no evidence to suggest that Maty wouldn't have fought hard as a benchwarmer under Sanchez to try to reclaim his place.

I understand that the information I'm going from is entirely based on Maty's public account of the situation, but I feel like a lot of supporters here are choosing to ignore the only account we have and instead make pure guesses that completely exonerate the club and pile all the blame on a player who was been an excellent servant to the club in the PL era.

Let's not forget that the club/managers aren't infallible in the way they deal with players. Murray under Poyet is a clear example of this where we were quite happy to to believe Murray voluntarily left for Palace, before later realising Poyet's hand in this. Now, I don't think we will be left regretting GP's decision in quite the same way as Sanchez is immense. However, it doesn't mean that this could not have been handled in a different way that would have led to a different outcome. I don't think we have to be binary about it: you can be both an ardent fan of Potter and also acknowledge that the same unconventionality GP brings, for all its positives, has perhaps led to a sourer episode here.

Is it not just possible that GP doesn’t think Maty Ryan is very good?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
To put a spin on part of the story, so that he looks a bit unfairly treated. In work situations, people say these things.

Personally I think the club act professionally on player matters. Some other clubs such as Citeh and any club Mourinho’s managed leave some players to train with development squads/kids simply when they feel they’re surplus to first team requirements. We don’t play those games to get people to leave.

As an international and hitherto first teamer, my guess is that MR took the news badly that his performances had dipped so far that he was no longer in the match day squad.

It all corroborates. Why hasn’t anyone at the club denied what Ryan said in his interview?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-mat-ryan-graham-potter-4807584.amp

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

It’s much more likely he’s been told Sanchez is the new number one and he’s thrown a wobbly, the comments he made about wanting to play for us for 2-3 years and then move to a bigger club are damning in terms of this, if that’s true then he certainly wouldn’t have reacted well to sitting on the bench week in week out.

You really need to stop making things up. The two people in on the conversation pretty much agree on what was said. But you like to believe something else based on absolutely nothing at all. Do you have a tinfoil hat?

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So you believe your own version of events over Graham’s and Maty’s? Everything Potter says here matches Ryan’s interview.

Without just making things up it was obvious something was going on behind the scenes. Who why or what has been guessed on other threads. One day it might come out but I would just say this, Potter had a decision to make, perhaps with the full backing of his management team including, I suspect, his captain. He made that decision and for unity of the team going forwards was plainly happy that he had a competent keeper happy to sit on the bench, the consummate team professional and why upset him?

A massive call by the manager that could have blown up in his face and ended up with his job going south. For that I would say Potter has huge balls to make the difficult decisions and fair play to him.

Just my opinion but I believe something wasn't right during the suspension of last season and was surprised he was still here after the summer.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You really need to stop making things up. The two people in on the conversation pretty much agree on what was said. But you like to believe something else based on absolutely nothing at all. Do you have a tinfoil hat?

Well we already know about the Ryan/Maupay bust up earlier in the season, so it’s not exactly a massive leap that Potter thought Ryan might become a trouble maker given the situation, after Sanchez replaced him we didn’t see a single picture of Ryan even training with the squad.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well we already know about the Ryan/Maupay bust up earlier in the season, so it’s not exactly a massive leap that Potter thought Ryan might become a trouble maker given the situation, after Sanchez replaced him we didn’t see a single picture of Ryan even training with the squad.

You are doing it again, spouting rumour without any evidence whatsoever, do you work for the Trump family?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You are doing it again, spouting rumour without any evidence whatsoever, do you work for the Trump family?

You’re a very strange fellow aren’t you, which part was a rumour? ???

The Maupay/Ryan bust up we know is true, Potter himself confirmed there was an incident. Go and find me a picture of Ryan posted training with the team after Sanchez replaced him, or save your own time and don’t because you won’t find one.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Rumour was perhaps the wrong description - " so it’s not exactly a massive leap that Potter thought Ryan might become a trouble maker given the situation" - How about something you made up without a shred of evidence?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Rumour was perhaps the wrong description - " so it’s not exactly a massive leap that Potter thought Ryan might become a trouble maker given the situation" - How about something you made up without a shred of evidence?

I’ve just given you the evidence? :shrug:

Issues within the squad that were major enough to lead to him being dropped a month beforehand
After Sanchez came in, we didn’t see a single picture of Ryan training with the team, pretty strange isn’t it if there was no problem or disharmony?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
What I don't get is how moving to arsenal's bench is a step up, unless he needs a step to get up onto the bench.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
At the time Ryan was dropped we had two major problems, 1) Ryan had forgotten how to make anything remotely like a save, and 2) we were missing chances at the other end.
It’s more than likely the two most likely under pressure fell out.
As for Maty leaving, we were unlikely to want to pay our reserve keeper £40k a week.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What I don't get is how moving to arsenal's bench is a step up, unless he needs a step to get up onto the bench.

I think that's been done death, to him it is and if he's happy let it be. To me we now have a better keeper in our goal. He may completely fall apart in the near future but he's young commands the area and it's obvious his team mates like the fact he is there.

We have to accept he's gone for the better of all concerned.

Players come and go but we remain, no one's too big for the club (Though the roof is a little low for BDB) and some will never measure up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How was it "public" until Ryan said in some interview what had happened, that is - that GP told him he would give Rob Sanchez an extended run.

Its not "unprecedented". When players dont perform over an extended amount of time they are frequently told that they could go look for another club. Its very common.

It was public because Potter made it clear he could move on and, probably more importantly, that Jason Steele was a better No. 2. Jason Steele who wasn't even the No.1 at Sunderland. If that's not a public slap in the face I don't know what is!

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

The Maupay/Ryan bust up we know is true, Potter himself confirmed there was an incident. Go and find me a picture of Ryan posted training with the team after Sanchez replaced him, or save your own time and don’t because you won’t find one.

This supposed Maupay/Ryan bust up is news to me. I may have missed it, is there an article from Naylor/The Argus you can link me to?

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This supposed Maupay/Ryan bust up is news to me. I may have missed it, is there an article from Naylor/The Argus you can link me to?

We have you been to have missed it? It been mentioned many times

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here