Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matvienko

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
if we have offered 11m then we cant really complain at chelsea offering crappy amounts .
Or Man City. Even worse when it’s his previous manager 😏

Gonzo BHA

Sep 3, 2004
BN1
if we have offered 11m then we cant really complain at chelsea offering crappy amounts .

That's how these things work though isn't it? Start with a low-ball offer, way under a player's valuation and try to meet them half-way.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That's how these things work though isn't it? Start with a low-ball offer, way under a player's valuation and try to meet them half-way.
Hmmm £11m is decidely low ball though, and with only a few days of the transfer window left, the time for reaching some sort of compromise is fast diminishing.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I get that we want to get value for money etc but we also need to be seen to be backing RDZ. He’s seems to have made it clear he wants this player so let’s get it done.
I think it’s a bit simplistic to reduce whether or not we purchase a player as being reflective on whether or not the club is backing RDZ - of course they are otherwise he wouldn’t be here! However, there are recruitment scouts all over the World bringing the Club’s attention to talented players, that RDZ isn’t particularly aware of, that might fit the requirements for the team more than any individual RDZ/Monaco is keen on.

IMO, it is not surprising RDZ would be looking at SD players, I expected there would be several he would be interested in having at Brighton when he first arrived - any manager does look to players he already knowns from previous appointments, especially if the previous club is top of their Country’s league and a Champions team - RDZ and the recruitment partner he brought with him in September (Salvatorori Monaco) were already looking at several players, including Matvienko, within a few weeks of them both arriving at Brighton:

My view on RDZs input is this - that for example, although Mudryk was well above our price range, others won’t be and while Monaco and RDZ will obviously be recommending any players they like to the Executive Team/TB, at the end of the day it’s a Club decision what works for us (taking into to consideration of the rest of the needs of the team, whether or not RDZ agrees alternative recruit suggestions from other sources would fit the team better and the financial sustainability of the club long term, including staffing, Academy, squads etc etc).

In short, if we sign or not sign Matvienko, it’s not because we ‘need to be seen backing RDZ’ or not, but because out of a very large pool available to us, he was the best option for the best price price.

Last edited:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Hmmm £11m is decidely low ball though, and with only a few days of the transfer window left, the time for reaching some sort of compromise is fast diminishing.
Its only low ball if Shaktar consider him valued at much higher. We dont know what they truly value him apart from some twitter guesses. A few articles i've seen say they value him at £20m. If that's correct, then going in at £11m with the inevitable re-negotiation settling somewhere around £16/17m sounds more plausible.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Also a few saying Chelsea are ruining the market for everyone else which is probably part of their master plan.
It could be a problem though with so many sales of late clubs will want to extract as much as possible from us.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Also a few saying Chelsea are ruining the market for everyone else which is probably part of their master plan.
It could be a problem though with so many sales of late clubs will want to extract as much as possible from us.
They may want to extract as much as possible from us, but it will need to be within our strategy which is buy low, sell high.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Not sure that would work with this particular player 26 already.

Don’t think our model is that strict. More an ideal. Feel that bloom and barber allow a certain amount of flexibility if it makes business and football sense.

A few people think we have a one way or the highway approach. That would be silly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel sorry for Shakhtar. They are obviously a well-run club, used to playing in the Champions League and making good money in the transfer market but because of the war you wonder who in their right mind would want to ply their trade in Ukraine?

Their board probably realise the days of megabucks deals could be coming to an end, so will hold out for what they can get. It depends how badly the player wants to leave.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Don’t think our model is that strict. More an ideal. Feel that bloom and barber allow a certain amount of flexibility if it makes business and football sense.

A few people think we have a one way or the highway approach. That would be silly.
Yes agree you need a mix of talent within a squad. Not all can be 18 and sold for £50m two seasons later.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We are going to look pretty foolish if in two seasons time we have an the likes of Dunk, March, Veltman and Gross well into the Twilight of their careers, AL retired, Welbeck possibly too, loads of kids and loads of money but not much else. And we ain't run by fools. So players between 24-28 will almost certainly be bought over the next few windows.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I feel sorry for Shakhtar. They are obviously a well-run club, used to playing in the Champions League and making good money in the transfer market but because of the war you wonder who in their right mind would want to ply their trade in Ukraine?

Their board probably realise the days of megabucks deals could be coming to an end, so will hold out for what they can get. It depends how badly the player wants to leave.
Ahh, the war has been raging nearly a year and they did just receive ..... well .... megabucks.

Fair that Shakhtar are completely deserving of our sympathy and I would hate that anyone thinks we are trying to take advantage. But considering they have just had quite a cash injection, they are in strong a position to dictate terms

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think that this would make sense as a signing where the chances of him being poached are probably quite low - we do need to make sure that we have a core team. We can lose a left back and a winger, etc - so long as we do not upset the core of the team too drastically all at once. We need to make sure that there's continuity in the squad and getting someone in who would likely be here for 5/6 years makes great sense to me. A team full of Veltmans wouldn't let us down at all!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here