Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matvienko

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Do you think RDZ lacks faith in Webster? He oddly preferred JP on Sat and now he wants us to move another (expensive) CB.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
There's several in every Block I suspect. Definitely some in W1H
Watching the way we were toying with Leicester it reminded of the Rugby Union sevens teams who continually pass the ball along the line waiting for a moment when the opposition lose their defensive shape and then pounce, moving through the gears at high speed.
I reckon we are the Fiji of the Premier League.

When you recognise what we are trying to do the sense of anticipation is very exciting.
#DeZerbiBall

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
When asked about this player De Zerbi said “for sure I love this player”.

Good enough for me. If RDZ wants him and we can add his experience for under £20m then great. We can always go for young talent. Another option would be to hold out til summer and test Chelsea with how much they want to keep Colwill, but I fear they’d want somewhere north of £30m. Or they simply wouldn’t sell at all.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Possible replacement for Webster or someone in to bolster the ranks a bit? If the figures are to be believed then £26m is a lot of money for a club like us to spend on a bench player.

I do love our policy of buying and nurturing young and relatively unknown talents but there is a lot to be said for buying highly rated players in their prime.

He wont be a bench player

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Do you think RDZ lacks faith in Webster? He oddly preferred JP on Sat and now he wants us to move another (expensive) CB.
I think people (not necessarily you, Kevo) are being a bit too hard on Van Hecke. How is the poor bugger going to learn if he isn't given some game time? I remember Dunky having some real 'oh no' clutch face and grimace moments early in his career (late penalty given away at Tranmere for a stupid tackle sticks in my mind). But he got over it didn't he??

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
When asked about this player De Zerbi said “for sure I love this player”.

Good enough for me. If RDZ wants him and we can add his experience for under £20m then great. We can always go for young talent. Another option would be to hold out til summer and test Chelsea with how much they want to keep Colwill, but I fear they’d want somewhere north of £30m. Or they simply wouldn’t sell at all.
I guess the only issue is that under the current structure RDZ is lower in the pecking order on signings but I can see Barber and Bloom wanting to be seen supporting their manager. I agree that Chelsea would want to burn us over a transfer of Colwill.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I guess the only issue is that under the current structure RDZ is lower in the pecking order on signings but I can see Barber and Bloom wanting to be seen supporting their manager. I agree that Chelsea would want to burn us over a transfer of Colwill.
If l were RDZ I'd be pretty put out if the chairman and CEO both thought they knew better than him about who we needed when it came to signing new players.

It should be part of the managers remit, certainly nothing to do with the board of directors, unless of course Tony kills any deal because he doesn't thing the player is worth the money.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Not much point overthinking this from a fan perspective. If DeZ is dead set on having this guy it would be very daft to let anyone outside of Bloom and Barber know his feelings as it would hardly help negotiations.

I'm imagining them bidding for the player in a casual kind of way whilst also bidding for a couple of alternatives to get that bargain deal. I have no idea really of course.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If l were RDZ I'd be pretty put out if the chairman and CEO both thought they knew better than him about who we needed when it came to signing new players.

It should be part of the managers remit, certainly nothing to do with the board of directors, unless of course Tony kills any deal because he doesn't thing the player is worth the money.
Should be, yes, but there seems to be a new science involved with a load of boffins frantically working behind the scenes on the fit and proper front.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

This may sound a bit pedantic but RDZ is 'Head Coach' and not manager.

The role of Head Coach typically has much less involvement in transfers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here