Mattock to sign and another player in talks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If Dicker/Painter play more than 10 games each we will not finish above 10th.

Indeed.

I notice Kaz just tweeted to Spadge saying they start training again in 16 days, hasn't Gus always said he wants his new players in for the start of pre-season? If that is the case we should have a busy 2 weeks ahead??

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Indeed.

I notice Kaz just tweeted to Spadge saying they start training again in 16 days, hasn't Gus always said he wants his new players in for the start of pre-season? If that is the case we should have a busy 2 weeks ahead??

Yes we should. The trouble is the transfer market has swung completely in players favours, as they can play clubs off against one another and 'hold-out' for better offers, so the scenario that Gus presented in terms of having players signed I feel is unlikely.

Probably the activity will take place in August - I am highly disappointed we missed out on Mattock though.....

stickboy

Banned
May 30, 2012
Indeed.

What worries me is Gus saying if he cant get the players he wants then he'll not buy just to please the fans so basically will go with the players we've got.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes we should. The trouble is the transfer market has swung completely in players favours, as they can play clubs off against one another and 'hold-out' for better offers, so the scenario that Gus presented in terms of having players signed I feel is unlikely.

Probably the activity will take place in August - I am highly disappointed we missed out on Mattock though.....

Maybe thats correct? but I don't see other clubs having the same issues as we do. Sheff Wed have 3. Palace have a couple and a season long long from Southampton.

We've lost Mattock, no idea on Vicente, rumours of a keeper where nothing has yet materialised........... we took Southampton Head of football and have a premier league set up, but many not up to it League 1 players and we have signed nobody yet.

For all the statements of intent, its another damp squib of frustration so far

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Sitch, one question...... Why ?

Please, just don't bother in future.

He doesn't have a clue.

He just takes random guesses of players we are interested in to say they will sign, i.e. punts and hopes it comes off so he can claim he is ITK.

We did offer Mattock a deal 6 weeks back, but obviously waited on it to use it to get a better deal. Much like Heskey who has been waiting on other offers (Leicester made one ~ 3 weeks ago).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He doesn't have a clue.

He just takes random guesses of players we are interested in to say they will sign, i.e. punts and hopes it comes off so he can claim he is ITK.

We did offer Mattock a deal 6 weeks back, but obviously waited on it to use it to get a better deal. Much like Heskey who has been waiting on other offers (Leicester made one ~ 3 weeks ago).

Sitch's revelations (going on threads he has started, ignoring ones where sources are given (e.g. martinez to liverpool done deal all over twitter) or ones that were just dscussion points (e.g. jordan rhodes - what would everyone think about him and cms up front?)):
-CMS has been covered in this thread (didn't reveal his identity, people already knew we were in for him, but confimred through pm it was cms, before it was announced we had signed him or even that cms was seriously considering us)
- Player to be shown around the Amex unnamed premier league player to be shown around amex loan or permanent, admitted not knowing any more than that and nothing seemed to come of it, unless it was KLL, which most people seemed to discount as he'd likely know the amex anyway
- Trialists mentioning unnamed trialists joining the club for pre-season. Initial responses pointed to the news being in the argus
- A CB we've enquired about finally starts naming players, this was kilgallon. Nothing came of it.
- Poyet waiting on confirmation on other player back to no names, few responses listing billy paynter, sitch admits not knowing the identity
- Lewis Dunk- Villa Villa to make offer for dunk in january (2012).
- Grant Leadbitter us interested in leadbitter as his contract was up.
- Simon church supposedly tweeted by ssn around the same time the thread went up
- Mattock to sign and another player in talks this one. Obviously, Mattock hasn't signed with us, and the trotter rumour was already established prior to this thread.

Every thread seems to cite his info on CMS as proof of his reliability as a source, yet he didn't actually tell us anything about CMS.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean this as an attack on Sitch. I have no problem with people posting rumours they hear, or inside info that may have. I don't actually keep track of people's history of rumours and their reliability. Partly because I don't tend to remember who says what on here, and partly because negotiations are complex, and may change at the last minute. For all we know we could have been close to signing Leadbitter and at the last minute someone else come in with an offer that turns his head. Doesn't change the fact sitch heard we were after him and in this hypothetical we were.

I just got bored and wanted to research his reliability. My conclusion is that he does work at the club, and he does hear things, but he isn't often the first to break it (particularly when it is more than just interest in a player), and his information is not any more (or less) definitive than the other people who post their info. No need to get excited by him posting info, no reason to get upset by it, either.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Indeed.

, hasn't Gus always said he wants his new players in for the start of pre-season? If that is the case we should have a busy 2 weeks ahead??

Gus said that last season as well, didn't happen then either, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can we stop with the character assassination? We should encourage people to post what they hear - and failing that to post what they would like to hear - or just plain make something up! Without it we don't have a forum worth looking at.

D

Deleted member 18477

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not any more. Takes an age to build a good standing. He has just deystoyed that.

Frankly - who cares. This is a forum for discussion, I quite like the rumours and it makes what always feels like a long summer break, shorter.

I don't think we have that much money to spend this year. I think we have a chance with Vicente because we looked after him, but after that we will be reliant on free-transfers with signing on fee's playing a part.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Frankly - who cares. This is a forum for discussion, I quite like the rumours and it makes what always feels like a long summer break, shorter.

I don't think we have that much money to spend this year. I think we have a chance with Vicente because we looked after him, but after that we will be reliant on free-transfers with signing on fee's playing a part.

We spent over 5 million last year, we have finished in top 10, we have put in an additional 5.5k seats, look s like all season tickets will be sold.....why on earth would we NOT have at least as much money... Remember us fans ( those of us who have committed to another years st money are not going to continue that for ever with a half Arsed squad) just because mattock didn't sign it doesn't mean we won't spend....in reality we must have more as the push this year is the playoffs...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I reckon we have a player a lot better than Mattock lined up otherwise we would have tried harder to get Mattock to stay
I bleeding hope so, we are surely not going to rely on Painter as 1st choice, he is capable, but very slow...... Mattock will be missed.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Gus said that last season as well, didn't happen then either, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

This.

Has everyone forgotten that last year it all seemed quiet and a bit disappointing in June/early July until...the Vicente signing!

Can we stop with the character assassination? We should encourage people to post what they hear - and failing that to post what they would like to hear - or just plain make something up! Without it we don't have a forum worth looking at.

This as well. Get a grip everyone - sitch has been a good poster and no transfer is definite until pen is put to paper.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Same old discussion every close season. Of course Gus wants player ready for pre-season but players, and their agents, are fishing for the best deals, often starting rumours of club's interest.

Many players don't concentrate their minds and refine their demands until they are out of contract (not getting paid) and clubs are back assembling their teams. That's when transfer activity really kicks off so it may well be August, even the week before KO, before we see a lot of activity.

Not ideal but for real.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports