Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mattock to sign and another player in talks

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I reckon we have a player a lot better than Mattock lined up otherwise we would have tried harder to get Mattock to stay

Why do you think we didn't try hard though? Believe it or not, the fact that a player chooses to go elsewhere doesn't mean the Albion didn't make the effort, FFS.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What worries me is Gus saying if he cant get the players he wants then he'll not buy just to please the fans so basically will go with the players we've got.

Right. So your suggestion is that he should go out and buy someone he doesn't want, just to please the fans? :facepalm:

Personally I'm not fussed about Mattock, and the fact we haven't picked anyone up so far means absolutely nothing (it certainly doesn't mean that they are sat on a beach reading the papers). I'm quite happy to let the manager who got us from third division relegation candidates to Championship play off contenders take his time, work out who he wants, and then do his thing. Who the hell am I to tell Poyet who he should sign?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We spent over 5 million last year, we have finished in top 10, we have put in an additional 5.5k seats, look s like all season tickets will be sold.....why on earth would we NOT have at least as much money... Remember us fans ( those of us who have committed to another years st money are not going to continue that for ever with a half Arsed squad) just because mattock didn't sign it doesn't mean we won't spend....in reality we must have more as the push this year is the playoffs...

I understand that, but maybe we under-estimate the cost of Withdean and the impact of being there. I know it sounds pessimistic, but its a thought...... hopefully I'll be proved wrong and this week/month we'll boost our squad.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sounds like we had offered Mattock a deal and then his agent has got a better package from another club. Some you win and some you lose.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I understand that, but maybe we under-estimate the cost of Withdean and the impact of being there. I know it sounds pessimistic, but its a thought...... hopefully I'll be proved wrong and this week/month we'll boost our squad.

Pessimistic and wrong. Extra seats/ST will bring in £6m per annum extra = 6 x £20k per week bosmans, where are they??

stickboy

Banned
May 30, 2012
Right. So your suggestion is that he should go out and buy someone he doesn't want, just to please the fans? :facepalm:

Personally I'm not fussed about Mattock, and the fact we haven't picked anyone up so far means absolutely nothing (it certainly doesn't mean that they are sat on a beach reading the papers). I'm quite happy to let the manager who got us from third division relegation candidates to Championship play off contenders take his time, work out who he wants, and then do his thing. Who the hell am I to tell Poyet who he should sign?

What are you going on about? talk about taking my comment out of context. where did i say buy any tom dick and harry?

stickboy

Banned
May 30, 2012
I said Gus wont buy any players to please the fans. I want players who inprove the team. get of your high horse.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
At the end of the day its all about the money players can get. Careers are so short they have to go for the best deals.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Did we actually offer him a contract?normally says that he rejected us for wednesday etc but it doen't???

I think the media would just report that other teams were interested in signing him unless they had factual evidence which isn't covered by non disclosure agreements.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Did we actually offer him a contract?normally says that he rejected us for wednesday etc but it doen't???

who knows? Gus said 2 weeks ago that Mattock was "an option" in the Argus and in another article that they would "monitor" him.

sounds like he wasn't 100% committed or a cast iron first choice?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/9736216.Mattock_is_attracting_interest/

slightly more worryingly the Argus reported on 19th May Gus expected Albions transfer activity to kick off within a fortnight which was up a week ago and that he hoped all his players would be in by pre season in 15 days from now, lets hope it kicks off very soon.

3 weeks since the article we've got nothing with 2 weeks to pre season starting

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/9715946.Gus_cools_Swanson_talk___but_signings_are_coming/

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can we stop with the character assassination? We should encourage people to post what they hear - and failing that to post what they would like to hear - or just plain make something up! Without it we don't have a forum worth looking at.
But the character assassination is part of of what makes the forum worth looking at! It's happened before; people claim to be ITK and post something (usually a rumour that's going around anyway so there's a big chance of it being right), and then when they're shown up to be bullshitters with no inside knowledge everybody piles in.

The person who started this thread has thoroughly enjoyed himself at NSC's expense (well at the expense of the more gullible members), and part of the enjoyment is reading the outraged, character assassination comments - especially of the people who've been suckered in.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think I'd prefer a defending defender behind Kaz/Noone/Vicente than a wing back.

stickboy

Banned
May 30, 2012
who knows? Gus said 2 weeks ago that Mattock was "an option" in the Argus and in another article that they would "monitor" him.

sounds like he wasn't 100% committed or a cast iron first choice?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/9736216.Mattock_is_attracting_interest/

slightly more worryingly the Argus reported on 19th May Gus expected Albions transfer activity to kick off within a fortnight which was up a week ago and that he hoped all his players would be in by pre season in 15 days from now, lets hope it kicks off very soon.

3 weeks since the article we've got nothing with 2 weeks to pre season starting

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/9715946.Gus_cools_Swanson_talk___but_signings_are_coming/

Maybe its me and getting paronoid but its strange that we've not signed anyone when Gus said two weeks and itll be busy and nothing yet. Pre season is less than 2 weeks away.

noticed how quite its with Swansea? Got a bad feeling they'll be in for Gus on his return. Villa, Norwich, West brom and Liverpool have their managers in place apart from SWANSEA!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Maybe its me and getting paronoid but its strange that we've not signed anyone when Gus said two weeks and itll be busy and nothing yet. Pre season is less than 2 weeks away.

noticed how quite its with Swansea? Got a bad feeling they'll be in for Gus on his return. Villa, Norwich, West brom and Liverpool have their managers in place apart from SWANSEA!

Seriously? There are 10 weeks until the season starts and 12 until the transfer window closes. What is the point of worrying. Players will sign when they sign. In the meantime, the rumours are quite amusing and keep the summer interesting in football terms. Maybe Swansea will get Gus but there is nothing you or I can do about it so why not just wait until it happens to worry about it.

In the meantime, how many players have been signed by Championship clubs who you would say are what we are looking for and would improve the squad? If we were to sign Kuszczak, he would comfortably be in the top three signings made by Championship clubs to date this summer (probably even the best)!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here