[Football] Marseille fans are mental....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When has anyone in the history of civilisation been afraid of the French?
Us. Why do you think so many Martello Towers were built during the Napoleonic Wars to prevent Bony invading?

Yes, Nelson and Wellington defeated him in the end but with the help of the Belgians and Prussians.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We were in 1066.
Napoleon gave us a bit of a runaround.
and despite their reputation as surrender monkeys in WW2, there were some well ‘ard bar stewards involved in theFrenchResistance all over the country.
Yes, I'm reading Village of Secrets by Caroline Moorehead, at the moment where small villages united to save thousands of people in Vichy France. True recollections documented in the book.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Our coach was hit by an apple as we left the stadium, but as far as I am aware French rocks are no more or less scary than any other type of rock.
True. It was very nasty sitting next to a window being hit by a brick, leaving Northampton years ago. Thank goodness for double glazed windows were only the outer pane exploded.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
It's all a matter of whom they're playing. The differing levels of violence at matches (or lack of it) has a lot to do with politics with OM, as it does with AEK, who can be at least as violent as OM when they choose, but were peaceful and friendly here and respected the no pyro-rule (much to some people's disappointment) :) The OM-AEK match last Thursday was a veritable sea of harmony and togetherness because both clubs' ultras are on the Left. There was no segregation and they were waving each others' colours. They attacked OL (including the team bus) because their ultras are far right. They are fully aware that we have a different tradition here, that we do not have a 'political' stance but are a progressive and inclusive city having a wonderful new experience and that 99.9 of us want to welcome mainland European away fans and don't want to fight anybody. I'd say most will be fine here, with some freelance idiots. Nowhere near last weekend though.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We were in 1066.
Err, history records that the French at the Battle of Hastings were in retreat having failed to overcome the English who held the higher and dryer ground.

On seeing the French retreating the English made the mistake of chasing them in an attempt to properly finish them off.

The English then hit the boggy ground at the bottom of the hill they had been holding and which had so hindered the French advance. Then the French did a turnabout and picked off the English who had chased them.

I think it was at this point that Harold copped one in the eye and the French completed the rout.

Only in the very end were the English able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

All that said, I'm sure anyone involved in a battle of any warfare sort will have some fear, both sides.

el punal

Are Marseille known for causing much trouble abroad? Could the nutters causing problems at their home games really afford to come to Brighton en Masse?

I can't remember Marseille causing trouble in England before. Which is why I'm surprised some wusses on here are already running scared !
With the weather we’ve been having recently those poor Marseille ultras crossing La Manche will be suffering too much from ‘mal de mer’ to bother. :drink:

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
"As per the local media, 12 Marseille fans have been arrested. Six of them were carrying a deadly weapon, and six others were arrested for loitering. "

How big was this deadly weapon that it took six of them to carry it?

Were the other six loitering carrying out that vital role in any fight of "I'll hold your coat'?
I think it was probably a 6 man battering ram, with two teams of carriers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Err, history records that the French at the Battle of Hastings were in retreat having failed to overcome the English who held the higher and dryer ground.

On seeing the French retreating the English made the mistake of chasing them in an attempt to properly finish them off.

The English then hit the boggy ground at the bottom of the hill they had been holding and which had so hindered the French advance. Then the French did a turnabout and picked off the English who had chased them.

I think it was at this point that Harold copped one in the eye and the French completed the rout.

Only in the very end were the English able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

All that said, I'm sure anyone involved in a battle of any warfare sort will have some fear, both sides.
You do realize that the Normans, were Norse men, not French? There is a clue in there, somewhere.

Oh, and Napoleon was of Italian heritage and was born in Corsica.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
fee90980-5007-4a4d-8519-2f78ea8d4d77.jpeg

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
True. It was very nasty sitting next to a window being hit by a brick, leaving Northampton years ago. Thank goodness for double glazed windows were only the outer pane exploded.
Similar at Wrexham back in the 70s - sitting ducks in the train at the station sitting under a bridge full of idiots.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
:lolol: are you for real? That lot didn’t even have the nouse to cover their faces, will probably be all dawn raided and nicked for affray within a couple of weeks.
Are you for real, what affray? I'm not sure a single punch was thrown in the whole incident maybe a little bit of shoving, if that. I don't think the Police have enough manpower to carry out dawn raids to arrest teenagers for swearing in the general direction of Dutch hooligans. And any "victims" have sodded off back to the Netherlands by now.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Maybe it was all carefully planned? Then again, maybe not.
but whatever, the Normans made their presence felt in the aftermath…..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You do realize that the Normans, were Norse men, not French? There is a clue in there, somewhere.

Oh, and Napoleon was of Italian heritage and was born in Corsica.
Seeing as it was me (I think) who raised the question of 1066, I am well aware of the Norsemen thing.

Corsica is French, and was when Napoleon was around, and he was a French military man and leader.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
After the covid restart French football crowds have gone completely bonkers, maybe more are paying attention because we drew Marseille although it’s been going on for a while now.
As others have posted if the carry on was in the UK most weeks no doubt UEFA would be pressing to ban PL/Scottish clubs from European competition.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, I'm reading Village of Secrets by Caroline Moorehead, at the moment where small villages united to save thousands of people in Vichy France. True recollections documented in the book.
over The years in various places on holiday in France, we have seen loads of stuff about the resistance in France - in the South, around the Dordogne, in Eastern France, in Alsace, in Lot et Garonne. Proud and brave!

one of my literary and philosophical heroes, Albert Camus, was active in the resistance and editor of their banned newspaper, “Combat”.

Last edited:

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
After the covid restart French football crowds have gone completely bonkers, maybe more are paying attention because we drew Marseille although it’s been going on for a while now.
As others have posted if the carry on was in the UK most weeks no doubt UEFA would be pressing to ban PL/Scottish clubs from European competition.
No one did anything when Liverpool fans attacked City's coach pelting it with bricks. Just lucky no one was injured. FA didn't care, it was outside the stadium so not their problem. Unless it happens at a UEFA match they won't care either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports