Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marseille fans are mental....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You really haven't understood some of the posts at all.

Liverpool is a great city. Saturday is one of my favourite away games in recent times despite the result. We drank in a great pub and had a good chat with some friendly locals, were helped to the buses before and after the game and there was just the right amount of banter, with the one bellend in our section being laughed at by Brighton and Everton fans. But that's Everton. The last time I went to a Liverpool away game we drove and parked in one of the car parks a walk from the ground. Went into the nearest pub which was deserted. Five minutes after we got a pint a coach full of southerners in brand new replica Liverpool shirts pulled up and that was the atmosphere ruined.

If, by some miracle, we end up playing them in the Europa League final in Dublin an awful lot of NSCers will be in for a wake up call. Every hotel booked up including ticketless fans and those planning to jib, our section full of theirs who've bought off scalpers and flights full of 'scousers' with southern accents taking off from Gatwick. And you won't be able to mention it on here for more than one post before someone plays the Hillsborough card.

Everton and Liverpool fans are an absolute country mile apart in general, and I say that as someone who has a couple of very good Liverpool mates.

Your two new mates from Saturday? Before that you slagged off Toffees on the Kenwright thread.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Because they get so ludicrously stereotyped as something they’re not. The most embarrassed I’ve been for a long time was on Saturday when a bunch of condescending halfwits started singing "we pay your benefits".

I’ve no doubt at all that there are some horrible Liverpudlians just as there are some horrible Brighton fans (see above + the mystery puncher at Marseille). But based on my many visits to the city, for football and non-football reasons, I find Scousers incredibly friendly and genuine people. It’s undeniable that some people on here get instantly triggered by any reference to Liverpool or Liverpudlians. Go and spend a bit of time in the city — you’ll change your mind.
I said to a group behind me who were singing, who are the bloody idiots then?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's like you're all reading from a script!

I'm starting to think it's the deranged scarfers and 2nd club merchants that I dislike as much as the entitled "special" reds.

I'm allowed to dislike them and think they're twats. Being a Liverpool fan isn't a protected characteristic FFS!

Over the years I've seen plenty of vitriol about other clubs so where were you lot when people had a dig at Leeds, Chelsea, Burnley or Pompey fans? I don't remember anyone being called prejudiced on those threads.
Wrong on the Burnley example …I was quite happy to challenge a certain poster over their biased comments earlier this season

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

For me, singing is about supporting our lads ... positive songs ... you can shove the negative "we pay your benefits" and Palace song where the sun don't shine.

And for me, the Everton stewards - just like the stewards at Liverpool - were great ... friendly and helpful. Chalk and cheese compared to London grounds. Even had a fun chat with a couple of Scouse police walking to the ground ... one red and one blue ... taking the mikey out of each other.
The Everton stewards were superb. After the game, I was taking a few snaps of the ground and an elderly steward said to me: "Take yer time son [I'm in my 60s BTW!], you probably won’t see the old place again." We exchanged pleasantries and he said: "I know what you’re thinking. It’s a right shit'ole. And it is. But you know what, it’s MY shit'ole, and that's why I love the place. Been coming here since I was at school." He then offered to take my photo against the Everton lettering on the far stand, using my phone. [Please enter hilarious joke here about Scousers running off with my phone.] I accepted, and the snap is great— and yes, he handed me my phone back and no, he didn’t then demand money for taking the pic. Lovely bloke. We stood there for a bit, chatting about the match. "Tell yer what," he said, "That's one cracking team you got there." He said he’d been offered a ticket for the Amex match last season but refused, presuming that they'd be hammered by us. One of his regrets, he said. Then we shook hands and parted. It was a lovely way to say goodbye to Goodison.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The Everton stewards were superb. After the game, I was taking a few snaps of the ground and an elderly steward said to me: "Take yer time son [I'm in my 60s BTW!], you probably won’t see the old place again." We exchanged pleasantries and he said: "I know what you’re thinking. It’s a right shit'ole. And it is. But you know what, it’s MY shit'ole, and that's why I love the place. Been coming here since I was at school." He then offered to take my photo against the Everton lettering on the far stand, using my phone. [Please enter hilarious joke here about Scousers running off with my phone.] I accepted, and the snap is great— and yes, he handed me my phone back and no, he didn’t then demand money for taking the pic. Lovely bloke. We stood there for a bit, chatting about the match. "Tell yer what," he said, "That's one cracking team you got there." He said he’d been offered a ticket for the Amex match last season but refused, presuming that they'd be hammered by us. One of his regrets, he said. Them we shook hands and parted. It was a lovely way to say goodbye to Goodison.
Lovely story, did you find your wrist watch and wallet ?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Exactly this. Pages on here slagging the Pompey Twats, Noddy Little Reading, Plucky Little Bournemouth, European Champions Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:

Yet a lot of our new users seem more keen on defending Liverpool FC than enjoying those threads.
I’m not defending Liverpool FC. I’m defending the ordinary Scouser in the street, and I don’t care which team s/he supports.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Then why is he quoting me from a week ago?
I was quoting your question asking why people defend Liverpool. Doesn’t matter when you posted it. I’m not convinced that critics differentiate between fans of the two teams. There’s a lot of very obvious anti-Scouse sentiment as witnessed by the "we pay your benefits" chant.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Your two new mates from Saturday? Before that you slagged off Toffees on the Kenwright thread.
I pointed out they were sending him death threats, which they were. I made the same point on a mod’s whatsapp group. Actually their thread on GOT was pretty respectful as was the minutes applause. Happy to set that record straight.

At least you’ve quoted the relevant message though. This, a thread on Marseille had been taken over by the usual reds defenders before Saturday.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I was quoting your question asking why people defend Liverpool. Doesn’t matter when you posted it. I’m not convinced that critics differentiate between fans of the two teams. There’s a lot of very obvious anti-Scouse sentiment as witnessed by the "we pay your benefits" chant.

We pay your benefits is a shit chant but so are songs about fire drills and libraries. It's not anti Scouse, it just gets trotted out now and again when we go north of the Watford gap (soon to be RIP)

Liverpool is its own micro climate. They don't consider themselves English and don't travel much unless it's over to Ireland. The city is run by gangsters. Jump in a cab in Liverpool and I can more or less guarantee the driver will be white. That's because things like "Delta cabs" had a tendency to be set on fire. Likewise successful nightclubs that aren't owned by the right people - even Peter Crouch joked about all the high end nightclubs in the Wirral that spontaneously combusted after all the footballers moved there.

If we were to update the chant it would be something like "We pay your insurance premiums"

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's a shite song, but people have been singing it for a long time when we play northern clubs. I remember the lot at the back of G block used to sing that pretty much every game.

I didn't ask why people defend Liverpool the City, I've only been talking about Liverpool FC. Its not my problem if you don't understand context.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
……anyway, back to Marseille. What happens if they sing homophobic songs we can’t understand? Do we refer them to VAR? Get Darren Balkham on Google Translate?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Wrong on the Burnley example …I was quite happy to challenge a certain poster over their biased comments earlier this season
Explain bias? If you're talking about their coach being attacked (see, there's another example of this happening in England) four people from Burnley have been arrested and the case is being handled by their dedicated football officer, Ross Bosdorf. Who do you think they support?

You could argue they might not have been at the game, but, frankly, neither were the 'mental' Marseille fans in the OP and the Burnley game was on the telly :shrug:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I haven't!
It's partly inside...

illustration-medieval-toilet-in-use.jpg

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
You do realize that the Normans, were Norse men, not French? There is a clue in there, somewhere.

Oh, and Napoleon was of Italian heritage and was born in Corsica.
Me thinks you have picked up the wrong clue. The Normans were so called because they came from Normandy.

If you are trying to suggest that Napoleon wasn't French I'd have to disagree.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Me thinks you have picked up the wrong clue. The Normans were so called because they came from Normandy.

If you are trying to suggest that Napoleon wasn't French I'd have to disagree.
Mmmmmm...........

They were from Normandy because they were Norse:

"originally from the word for "northman" in several Scandinavian languages"

"Normandy's name comes from the settlement of the territory by Vikings ("Northmen") starting in the 9th century, and confirmed by treaty in the 10th century between King Charles III of France and the Viking jarl Rollo".

And, yes, Napoleon wasn't French.

"Napoleon was born on the island of Corsica into a native family descending from Italian nobility".

in much the same way, 'our' royal family are not English.

But you are of course free to disagree, especially if you prefer certainty over accuracy :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here