Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Margaret Thatcher

Love or hate?

• Love

Votes: 65 43.0%
  • Hate

Votes: 86 57.0%

• Total voters

And who exactly took us into the Single European market, whilst despising all that Europe stood for.

And built the Channel Tunnel - that gateway for all the illegal immigrants

SUCH A PATRIOT?

looney said:
Firms broke gov rules to sell components to iraq, you knowledge of the past is as blinkered as your politics.

Tend to agree about pinochet but then we aided the Russians in WW2 so it can hardly be seen as significant.

We aided the Russians to defeat the germans. Simple. No comparison to Thatcher's defending of right wing anti-democracy dictators as per Pinochet, Nicuragua, South Africa, Namibia, Angola etc

Pavilionaire said:
When she came to power Britain was an economic wreck, unions ran the show, our global standing was low.

With hindsight it was as near to a dictatorship as we've seen this century. Few, if any, of her Cabinet had the balls to disagree with her, she didn't like other women in positions of power and she recruited her Cabinet almost exclusively from Oxbridge, so it was a bit of a club.

I think she re-instilled a work / business ethic that we've never really lost since she's gone.

On balance I'd have to say she was 1/3rd good, 2/3rds bad.

GB had an economy on par to the rest of Europe, it was still one of the richest 8 in the world, every nation was being hit by the fuel crisis. We had high inflation, lower than EC average unemploymnet and low investmnet.

The Unions didn't run the show, as a democracy we had frequent elections throughout the 70's , a clear indication of a thriving democracy in action.

People wanted to vote then, there were clear differences between the parties policies and actions.

lc

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
Thatcher put a price on every miners Head, and worked out it was cheaper to close the mines and put them on the Dole.

This has lead to broken communities causing social problems to this day- high crime, drugs, and Still high unemployment in some areas.

The only good thing Thatcher ever did was introduce to Community Charge (poll Tax) .altough it needed some minor tweeking like the students pay 20% was never fair.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Dispise the evil cow. Hasn't she snuffed it yet? oh well not long now.

Nearly brought this country to its knees.

Miners strike, poll tax, snatching milk, the list goes on.

Last edited:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I would venture an opinion that the majority of people posting on the Thatcher question were not around when she was in power and thus don't remember exactly how bad things were in the seventies.

Britain was Europes third world, Plagued by strikes, debt ridden and a universal laughing stock

FACE IT, YOU'VE JUST BEEN BRAINWASHED BY YOUR MUMS AND DADS and Teachers.

ITS SO PREDICTABLE AND SOUL DESTROYING :nono:

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
shingle said:
I would venture an opinion that the majority of people posting on the Thatcher question were not around when she was in power and thus don't remember exactly how bad things were in the seventies.

Britain was Europes third world, Plagued by strikes, debt ridden and a universal laughing stock

I,m 30 now so didnt know too much about polictics when she was around, but ive gone the other way- my Mum & Dad were Thatcherites and I thought she was good but as ive grown up and formed my own opinion on politics , I have seen what a nasty peice of work she really was!!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
enigma said:
Bless. You still cant read. I was referring to the second ownage which DANDYMAN wrote and not 34064 wrote.Can you not distinguish between usernames?

"The Anglo-Irish Agreement and the Single European Act, two of the biggest transfers of British sovereignity in the last 25 years, both happened under her premiership."

If only you were half as bright as you thought you were.:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

:dunce: :dunce:

The Anglo-Irish Agreement a Transfer of power?:lolol: :lolol:

It sets up a framework for regular conferences between British and Irish ministers to discuss matters affecting Northern Ireland.

However, if a devolved government were established in Northern Ireland, matters transferred to its power would no longer fall under the remit of the conferences.

That is being seen as an inducement for unionists who want to remain part of the United Kingdom and keep Dublin at bay.

But, for the first time, the British Government has officially committed to promoting legislation for a united Ireland if a majority is in favour.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/15/newsid_2539000/2539849.stm

The single European act one of the 2 biggest transfer of power?

:lolol:

Single European Act
Act signed in 1986 (and in force from July 1987) to establish a single European market, defined as an area without frontiers in which free movement of goods, services, people, and capital is ensured.

The act was the first major revision of the Treaties of Rome. It provided for greater involvement of the European Parliament in the decision-making process, and the introduction of qualified majority voting in the Council of Ministers (now the Council of the European Union) for some policy areas..

There was infact little power relinquished, that has been given up by Blair and straw by surrendering to QMV and major signing up to Maastrict.
:lolol:

I lack the time for a detailed deconstruction of Dandymans bullshit but I suppose owning 2 dorks with one post is worth it.:lolol:

:tosser:

In future enigma if I post TBFO (To busy f*** off)its because I lack time to slam you ingrates,you witless f***, so try to accept I am your god.:lolol:

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
looney said:
I lack the time for a detailed deconstruction of Dandymans bullshit but I suppose owning 2 dorks with one post is worth it.:lolol:

you really are a fuckwit looney. hours of getting yourself hopelessly lost in these arguments with people who to the rest of us are running rings round you, and YOU CAN'T SEE IT !!

get yourself a hobby, try and meet a lady (not a dyke rugby player) and go to the theatre or cinema more often. it will do you good! (and us)

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
shingle said:

But wasn't Margaret Thatcher also a minister in Heath's government as well ? Someone took my free school milk away and they'd better own up right now !

E

enigma

No geek will ever be my god. Good frothing though, good to see you got it out of your system. :lolol: Never call me a dork, flaming child.

Congratulations on supposedly owning Dandyman, though you're still not bright enough to realise that you couldnt work out which question you had answered in the first place.

I am going to ask you outright Looney- are you a geek?

Last edited by a moderator:

E

enigma

afters said:
you really are a fuckwit looney. hours of getting yourself hopelessly lost in these arguments with people who to the rest of us are running rings round you, and YOU CAN'T SEE IT !!

get yourself a hobby, try and meet a lady (not a dyke rugby player) and go to the theatre or cinema more often. it will do you good! (and us)

:lolol: :clap:

Dandyman

In London village.
afters said:

:lolol: Not actually capable of reading his own links either...

"1985: Anglo-Irish agreement signed

Britain and the Republic of Ireland have signed a deal giving Dublin a role in Northern Ireland for the first time in more than 60 years. .."

E

enigma

Dandyman said:
:lolol: Not actually capable of reading his own links either...

"1985: Anglo-Irish agreement signed

Britain and the Republic of Ireland have signed a deal giving Dublin a role in Northern Ireland for the first time in more than 60 years. .."

:lolol: :lolol:

Owned again..... Looney really is a fruitcake....

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I despise the old witch. Don't get me started on he old cow. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here