Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Manure Demand £50, Yes FIFTY, million for Harry Maguire.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
He'll do well there. Look at how Craig Dawson excelled. Maguire can do what Moyes wants centre backs to do: he heads it out, he kicks it out, he blocks and he offers a threat at set pieces. Maguire's nightmare is over. He won't have to play a high line and risk getting exposed for pace. He won't have to play short passes in tight spaces to beat the press. He'll be back to what he was doing at Leicester - defending and long ball distribution, with the occasional stroll up field when the opposition sits off. Southgate will be over the moon. He'll get to pick him without criticism for another couple of years at least. If Ward Prowse confirms this week, I might even stick Maguire in my FL team.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So it's going to cost West Ham £60 million if they sign Ward-Prowse and Maguire.

Or £65 million if they just sign Ward-Prowse.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He'll do well there. Look at how Craig Dawson excelled. Maguire can do what Moyes wants centre backs to do: he heads it out, he kicks it out, he blocks and he offers a threat at set pieces. Maguire's nightmare is over. He won't have to play a high line and risk getting exposed for pace. He won't have to play short passes in tight spaces to beat the press. He'll be back to what he was doing at Leicester - defending and long ball distribution, with the occasional stroll up field when the opposition sits off. Southgate will be over the moon. He'll get to pick him without criticism for another couple of years at least. If Ward Prowse confirms this week, I might even stick Maguire in my FL team.
Should keep him in the England starting XI for another 5 or 6 seasons.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Well I suppose someone has to be the contrarian. I don't like bullying, and I think Maguire has had more than his fair share of it. He isn't right for ManU and vice versa. Yes, his transfer fee to Utd was a bit mad, as was Cucurella's to Chelsea, but these are not the fault of the players. I think a move to West Ham could be good for both the club and the player.
It could be a good move for us as well in the Europa and Prem.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I wonder if this one had anything to do with it:

He dropped Maguire, allowed the club to transfer list him, stripped him of captaincy, then when Maguire looks to be going is all oh, so you're not gonna fight for it, might as well go then, coward?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The report I read said that the deal is stalled because Maguire is looking for a pay off from United. You'd think that, in his position, escape to a smaller, but probably still six figure contract would be his absolute priority, but he'll of course be being advised by an agent who takes a percentage. Moral hazard is an economic concept that seems completely absent from the business of football.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The reports of 'stalling' suggests to me that he is playing West Ham and Aston Villa off against each other.
I suspect he'll end up at Villa to replace Mings as they will likely pay more than West Ham.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The report I read said that the deal is stalled because Maguire is looking for a pay off from United. You'd think that, in his position, escape to a smaller, but probably still six figure contract would be his absolute priority, but he'll of course be being advised by an agent who takes a percentage. Moral hazard is an economic concept that seems completely absent from the business of football.
Read similar.

He wants United to give him £7m to piss off, and they're currently not playing ball.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Read similar.

He wants United to give him £7m to piss off, and they're currently not playing ball.
Pay £7m to not play Maguire - deal of the century.

"Do you only want £7m Hazza?"

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Read similar.

What a knob.

To be clear Bozza that's him not you. Don't want to told off again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What an absolute embarrassment that guy is. Complete lack of self-awareness. No fan wants him stinking out their squad. Next stop the Saudi Retirement Plan League shirley?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

If it’s in his contract, why not?

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
He signed a contract which stated he would be paid X amount for X number of seasons. If United want him to walk away from that contract why shouldn’t he look for a payout on guaranteed income he would receive if he stayed there. If people remove the emotion from the situation, it’s just a financial contract between an individual and a billion £ company.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
More fool Man Utd paying silly wages to average players who are one trick ponies. We had a goalie like that but I suspect that his Chelsea pay has much improved.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Read similar.

Isn’t this fairly common practice in football and rather bizarrely referred to as a ‘loyalty bonus’?

Edit: Answering my own question, the loyalty bonus is what the name suggests.. but it’s quite common for players to demand the bonus before it’s due if the club decides to sell them before their contract is up.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
A difficult one for Slabhead, guess it depends if he wants to play or not. If so taking a pay cut seems like the only option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here