Manuel Onwu Villafrance & Jesse Lingard

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This.

In passing I thought Jara looked ok at fullback for Chile and according to some has been released by Notts Forest.

I'm one of the minority of fans who was totally unimpressed by Lingard. A couple of good moments at best, but take away the name of his loaner club and his reputation, and he did so little.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
The DM article also mentions that Manuel is looking to move on following Osasuna's relegation from La Liga ... surely if you've been mostly playing in the B team , you'd view the relegation as a opportunity to have a go at becoming a first team regular.

Also the B team played in the Tercera División last season, that's the Spanish 4th Division. Given that and his goal return, spending 600k on him would appear to be a huge gamble.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'm one of the minority of fans who was totally unimpressed by Lingard. A couple of good moments at best, but take away the name of his loaner club and his reputation, and he did so little.

I think I saw pretty much every game he played for us and think he's a quality player possibly played out of position by us. Give him free reign to play off Ulloa and I think you will see the best of him.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think I saw pretty much every game he played for us and think he's a quality player possibly played out of position by us. Give him free reign to play off Ulloa and I think you will see the best of him.

My thoughts as well for some reason though in pretty much every interview he said he favoured and was best coming in from the left.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I too saw pretty much every Lingard game.
Didn't stand out to me as a potentially great signing. Has PL attributes you can see that like great pace, but you can also see why he's not cut it - awful decision making, poor timing of runs and poor finishing 95% of the time.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Didn't stand out to me as a potentially great signing. Has PL attributes you can see that like great pace, but you can also see why he's not cut it - awful decision making, poor timing of runs and poor finishing 95% of the time.

You can coach those things he falls short on but not pace. I don't know what the alternatives are but given a choice of him and Lopez, Orlandi, or Agustein I know who I would prefer.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Scouts must have really excelled themselves with a 'Villa in France' 1-goal in 3-seasons ..... think I'd rather give Shamir a season and save the money

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You can coach those things he falls short on but not pace. I don't know what the alternatives are but given a choice of him and Lopez, Orlandi, or Agustein I know who I would prefer.

Not so sure about finishing. My interpretation, but I could be wrong, is that a player has that by the time they're a senior pro, or doesn't and probably never will. Hence the premium paid for regular scoring midfielders and forwards.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think Hyypias style will suit his game more. He is good at counterattacking and Garcias slow build up didn't really play into his hands. Would be happy with a season long loan as I think he has potential to be a good player in this division.

Or alternatively he could be really lightweight again, bottle every challenge but get 90mins week in week out for an entire season :(

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

He was far from the only one poor at finishing ...entire midfield and forward line were crap at that

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Suddenly there's loads of kids on twitter saying they've heard we've signed Lingard - all down to a lazy journo mistake & them trying to look 'itk' - not saying it won't happen, just that some people are embarrassing using guesswork to look like they know something!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I respect your decision but surely you could see the technical (premiership) ability he has as a footballer?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Second Striker

Hope the Lingard bit is true, but somehow I think it's poor journalism and the author of the piece is referring to when he came in on loan to us last season.
Someone needs to tell the guy that SH wasn't the manager then.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?304328-Jesse-Lingard&highlight=lingard

Enthusiastic and seems quite intelligent. I think he still hopes to get a a chance at United and he does not seem good enough to me. Pace and ball control seemed to be not quite up to it, but he improved and his lack of touch maybe because he had not been playing first team football?

I preferred Jake Forster-Caskey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports