Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manuel Onwu Villafrance & Jesse Lingard

Aug 8, 2012
Lingard's an excellent footballer, too good for the Championship. Makes intelligent runs, quick and creative. He's just too weak or at least goes down too easily but saying that I wouldn't want him to bulk up or he'd lose all his good attributes. Peter Ward didn't need bulking up.

Lingard flatters to deceive and really disappointed last season. Looks like he should be quick but he isn't, can't beat players one on one, no defensive contribution and doesn't score enough goals. Unfortunately he was guaranteed a starting place at the expense of Solly a much better player. We need a proper goalscorer, Billy Sharp only 28 could fire us to promotion. Saying that would prefer him to O'Grady

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
peter Ward only went down in the box, he was kicked , pushed and body checked but is only object was to score. Todays players should look at his videos and see how it should be done. Peter Wards name should never be used lightly in conversation on here as we will never see another like him. Jesse and him, not even in the same league.

Not used lightly in conversation. He's the best example I know of the sort of player who shouldn't bulk up is all.

Lingard flatters to deceive and really disappointed last season. Looks like he should be quick but he isn't, can't beat players one on one, no defensive contribution and doesn't score enough goals. Unfortunately he was guaranteed a starting place at the expense of Solly a much better player. We need a proper goalscorer, Billy Sharp only 28 could fire us to promotion. Saying that would prefer him to O'Grady

You must be watching different games. March better than Lingard? :lolol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Lingard's an excellent footballer, too good for the Championship. Makes intelligent runs, quick and creative. He's just too weak or at least goes down too easily but saying that I wouldn't want him to bulk up or he'd lose all his good attributes. Peter Ward didn't need bulking up.

Sort of agree. I think he's a good footballer, but not in the championship. Very lightweight and there s no doubt in my mind that the championship is a very physical league and just doesn't suit him.

The premier league is a lot more explosive and probably suits his game more.

However, I wasn't overly impressed with him and am not bothered whether he returns or not.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea

No defensive contribution? He was constantly tracking back last season, what didn't help his performance was playing him out wide, much better in a central position

Kikikaikai

Charlatan?
May 20, 2014
Brighton
So whose it going to be Kiki? Come on you've got form so spill! :drink:

There is movement I believe but not what people are expecting. If the lingard deal happens at all I think it will be during loan window

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
didn't lingard score more goals from wide attacking than any other player last year?
didn't play too many either.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Agreed. Lingard is very promising and could become a gem. However I don't think it is currently a fair comparison with Ward. Lingard benefits from the pace and skill of being in a Man U squad, playing a fast, open style that encourages him to make runs into the box. IMO Oscar's system did not suit Linguard as it was geared to Ulloa leading the line as a lone striker. Linguard played deeper and rarely got to be the true striker, whereas Peter Ward played closer up front alongside Mellor etc. Maybe Lingard would enjoy the higher line that Hyypia prefers.

Ward was a better all around. Punters recall the volume of goals that he scored but my abiding image is of his exceptional gift that he could receive the ball with his back to the goal, shimmy and turn his marker in a flash. Often it was so quick that it seemed as if the ball was attached to his boots. If the marker was a split second late then he was well beaten or risked a penalty. He made some decent defenders look clumsy. He was also a superb finisher. I would love to see Ward in his Albion pomp - but on the smooth Amex pitch and with the protection of current Referees, given the right service I suspect he would be rampant. Dare I suggest he would be similar calibre to Suarez (without the downside!).

I can only agree with everything you said. I had thought it was rose tinted memory glasses that made him so good, but pulled up a few vids last night and there it was, fantastic to see it again. He shot he scored, it must be Peter Ward, in a song sort of way .....

Kikikaikai

Charlatan?
May 20, 2014
Brighton
Kiki you're still in minus ITK points, how about giving us some random cryptic clue that you can peice together once this other deal has been announced?

I doubt that very much. According to a (tomato) sauce; a player who is unattached will be arriving today for a trial

Kikikaikai

Charlatan?
May 20, 2014
Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here