Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I agree that I would also like him to be a little more pragmatic at times in order to get results, but if you love football, I'm not sure there are (m)any teams in Europe that you'd rather support right now :albion2:

What's the current count of European Champions we have played in the last few (and coming games ?)
Yes. It’s crazy. Great to watch. De Zerbi will keep De Zerbi-ing and i imagine we’ll destroy a lot teams from 8th downwards.

boik

If the scoreline was reversed I’m sure they’d have added at least 8 minutes with the time wasting, sub windows and the fact that Solly was injured in normal time as you say. Doku was class but he was also down for at least a minute in the 2nd half after colliding with Veltman
But there was 8 minutes played? The stream I was watching ticked over to 98.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
If people here deny that ever happens, then RDZ is fantastic in his honesty post match and his very early subs reveal alot.

Villa, Bmuff, AEK, West Ham … we were comatose, not at the races first half.
It's very odd but watching the game, the difference in the sharpness of passing and movement in the second half compared to the first was staggering.
A few observations, Gross dropped deep second half when Gilmour came on, and therefore became the conductor.
Mitoma made movement inside to collect the ball, allowing more space for Solly.
Gilmour is better in possession at the moment than Baleba and more forward thinking.
Fati interlinked and found spaces that Pedro didn't. (I think Pedro may be a better sub than starter)
We play better when Veltman plays, but we all know that anyway.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's very odd but watching the game, the difference in the sharpness of passing and movement in the second half compared to the first was staggering.
A few observations, Gross dropped deep second half when Gilmour came on, and therefore became the conductor.
Mioma made movement inside to collect the ball, allowing more space for Solly.
Gilmour is better in possession at the moment than Baleba and more forward thinking.
Fati interlinked and found spaces that Pedro didn't. (I think Pedro may be a better sub than starter)
We play better when Veltman plays, but we all know that anyway.

What formations, in terms of the reality on the pitch, did we play first half and separately second half.

(I wasn’t at the Emptihad).

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
What formations, in terms of the reality on the pitch, did we play first half and separately second half.

Mainly, Baleba was holding and Gross was pushing into CAM. But at times they were too far apart, meaning Rodri and Bernardo could play through too easily. When Baleba came off Billy and Gross became much more fluid and we seemed a lot tighter in my opinion.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Biggest issue was the Milner/Adingra combo (watching from the stands anyway). Adingra doesn’t do enough defensive work and also looked like a little boy lost in the first half - leaving Milner woefully exposed. The space they had down that side - every ****ing time - was enormous. The answer was Veltman……(with my best hindsight glasses on, although I did message junior when the lineup came out with a ‘feeling sick’ emoji and ‘Milner at RB’).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mainly, Baleba was holding and Gross was pushing into CAM. But at times they were too far apart, meaning Rodri and Bernardo could play through too easily. When Baleba came off Billy and Gross became much more fluid and we seemed a lot tighter in my opinion.

Did we play three in CM in either half?
Did we play two as out and out strikers in either half?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Biggest issue was the Milner/Adingra combo (watching from the stands anyway). Adingra doesn’t do enough defensive work and also looked like a little boy lost in the first half - leaving Milner woefully exposed. The space they had down that side - every ****ing time - was enormous. The answer was Veltman……(with my best hindsight glasses on, although I did message junior when the lineup came out with a ‘feeling sick’ emoji and ‘Milner at RB’).

Are you also able to answer my #569 please?

The Veltman thing is so obvious, our best ever defensive FB. Other than Villa away, it’s hard to think of a poor performance in 3+ wonderful seasons. When I see Gross or Milner as starting RB, I know their opposition left side are going to have a decent game.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Did we play three in CM in either half?
Did we play two as out and out strikers in either half?
No only 2 in CM with Pedro/Welbeck ( and then Fergie) taking turns to drop deep and have the ball bounce off them to a City player because the passes were telegraphed.

Interestingly, in the second half the top two stayed up more and several times the ball was just played into the middle of the pitch for Mitoma to cut inside and pick up. It was much more effective

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No only 2 in CM with Pedro/Welbeck ( and then Fergie) taking turns to drop deep and have the ball bounce off them to a City player because the passes were telegraphed.

Interestingly, in the second half the top two stayed up more and several times the ball was just played into the middle of the pitch for Mitoma to cut inside and pick up. It was much more effective

Did Guardiola play 3 (or 5) in midfield?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Yes, Adringa had a poor first half and didn't help Milner one bit. He was better second half.
In hindsight it might have been better to have had Solly there as he is much better defensively and Igor at left back.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The ref had a decent game I thought. Not hesitant in booking sockboy for dissent, booked Foden (I think) for kicking the ball away, and sent off their chap for two fairly soft yellows. Not overawed by them being Man City and at home. Good for him.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Yes, Adringa had a poor first half and didn't help Milner one bit. He was better second half.
In hindsight it might have been better to have had Solly there as he is much better defensively and Igor at left back.
Might not have been injured. Hope Solly isn't too bad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In possession, Stones often pushed up into the middle, and Alvarez often dropped deep, sucking our players in, then the quick switch leaving Milner exposed one on one with Doku.
I think Pepe had worked out his strategy.

Even Luton, Moyes, Dyche, Plucky did … RDZ have left a glaring weakness at FB’s … go destroy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here