Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man Citeh v Barca

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
But they didn't. Firstly, apart from anything else, most people seem to be saying it was a very even game until that muppet got sent off. Secondly, Sergio Aguero wasn't even playing.

Man City really were causing Barca absolutely no problems whatsoever. The muppet got sent off because he stopped Messi scoring, so even if he had been on Barca would almost certainly have been 1-0 up in second gear.

Valdes was forced into one good save later in the second half and that was it. I think Man City may have had a corner or a free kick which they almost got a shot on goal from. Meanwhile Barca just strolled about comfortable in the knowledge that a gap will open up and it did.

Secondly, if Man City have to use the "we didnt have Aguero card" as a an excuse (a team assembled for around £185m on my quick estimation) then thats a worrying sign.

Again, this was Man City at home against a Barca team who were NOWHERE near their best....and they won 2-0. My point remains. The gulf in class is huge.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
. I remember watching their home game against Bayern Munich in the group stage of this season's UCL and it was ridiculous how one-sided it was. I'm not exaggerating to say a fair score would have been 7-0 to Bayern.

I was genuinely LAUGHING at points that game. Man City would get the ball, the crowd would pick up...and then 4 Bayern players would swarm, get the ball back and almost give the "keep calm, we have it now" hand gesture. Again, this was our most attacking potent force being OWNED. The thing is, that night we all sat back and just said "wow" to Bayern.

Last night, we watched Barca do their normal thing...below their usual standards, and still walk away with a win...and now have the pathetic aftermath of people blaming the red card :lolol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Indeed. How would they fare against the likes of West Ham or Southampton? Much harder than Celta Vigo and Valencia who occupy the same positions in La Liga. Not.

Missing the point.

Chelsea,Arsenal, City and Utd have much harder league games than Barca and Real.

How many times do you see the bottom team in the Spanish league getting a point at real or barca?

Till this year the Spanish league has always been a 2 horse race

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But they didn't. Firstly, apart from anything else, most people seem to be saying it was a very even game until that muppet got sent off. Secondly, Sergio Aguero wasn't even playing.

I actually think that tie could still have proven very interesting if it had stayed at 0-1. As it is, I just don't see City scoring 2 unanswered goals.

They had all the ball but did nothing with it, took 30 minutes for them to have a shot on target, it wasn't a pen - it was outside the box, if thats not given it would have remained tight.

Even with 10 City looked dangerous at times.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Man City really were causing Barca absolutely no problems whatsoever. The muppet got sent off because he stopped Messi scoring, so even if he had been on Barca would almost certainly have been 1-0 up in second gear.

Valdes was forced into one good save later in the second half and that was it. I think Man City may have had a corner or a free kick which they almost got a shot on goal from. Meanwhile Barca just strolled about comfortable in the knowledge that a gap will open up and it did.

Secondly, if Man City have to use the "we didnt have Aguero card" as a an excuse (a team assembled for around £185m on my quick estimation) then thats a worrying sign.

Again, this was Man City at home against a Barca team who were NOWHERE near their best....and they won 2-0. My point remains. The gulf in class is huge.

Agree. Barca are not that great this season, and they are vulnerable at the back. Given the speed in the City team they should have been looking to exploit Barca's high line and look to take a run at Pique in particular. A timid showing from City and they should be disappointed with themselves not the ref.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Barca outclassed City? Hilarious. The match was completely even up until the penalty and red card. Asides from the penalty, the ref didn't help matters by always wanting to be in the game, blowing his whistle for numerous fouls that were not fouls, instead of being a spectator and simply letting the match flow.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is no shame in losing to Barca and Bayern as they are both not only top quality sides but also very settled - they have the skill, the technique AND the understanding and have been drip-feeding in only one or two new players into the side each season as the successful Liverpool side did in days of yore. City had first season players De Michelis, Fernandinho, Navas, Negredo starting - I think City will be all the stronger next season for having that continuity.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The match was completely even up until the penalty and red card..

Completely even? The score, yes. The pattern of play, no way. I don't think Barca even managed a sprint between them? Purely toying with them.

The penalty and red card came from a slide rule pass that exposed a gap in the defence. The EXACT sort of opportunity Barca were waiting for.

It's not like the red card was for a horror tackle and nothing to do with footballing ability. It was a red because he stopped the world best player when through one on one. The red was a result of Barca having already torn through them as they had been waiting to do all along.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Of course their tactics would work at any level don't be silly.

I think you've misunderstood his point. He's saying you couldn't make a League 2 team play in the same style as Barca, and he's right.

It's not just a formation, it's a complete reliance on the players first touch and awareness, which lesser players dont have to anywhere near the same standard.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I think you've misunderstood his point. He's saying you couldn't make a League 2 team play in the same style as Barca, and he's right.

It's not just a formation, it's a complete reliance on the players first touch and awareness, which lesser players dont have to anywhere near the same standard.

Even in a Premier League team, you can never fully replicate the awareness that comes from having been playing together in that style from the age of 9 or 10. Well, not unless you set up an academy along the same lines and then have the patience and confidence to sit back and wait for about a decade to see how the first few dozen youngsters through the system turn out. In a league in which most managers are three defeats away from the sack, it ain't gonna happen.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Completely even? The score, yes. The pattern of play, no way. I don't think Barca even managed a sprint between them? Purely toying with them.

The penalty and red card came from a slide rule pass that exposed a gap in the defence. The EXACT sort of opportunity Barca were waiting for.

It's not like the red card was for a horror tackle and nothing to do with footballing ability. It was a red because he stopped the world best player when through one on one. The red was a result of Barca having already torn through them as they had been waiting to do all along.

I think you are creaming over Barca purely for the fact that they are Barca. For all of their possession, they did nothing with the ball until the first goal and City actually looked more likely to score. I think on the night City were unlucky the way things turned out and on another night they would have won. Part of their problem is they do not have the experience as a team of playing in these big CL matches and they showed Barca way too much respect. On last night's showing, to suggest there is a massive gulf in class between the teams is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

There's no way Barca will win the CL this season. No way at all. Feel free to bounce this post if they do an a £25 donation will be on its way to REMF!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
First goal will be crucial here - City get it and it's game on, Barca get it and they might as well all stop and go home straight away to save everyone's time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Man City's 2 up-front should do the trick ......snigger

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here