Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m struggling to understand the non closure of schools. Apparently children are not suffering from the virus but can be carriers. That leaves teachers in a very vulnerable position as the only profession required to not work from home and every day be in a public place with hundreds of potential carriers.

Again - The closing of schools may well have a serious and profound effect on the NHS and elderly care in general as health care employees find themselves having to stay home to look after healthy children, while sick patients are left even more vulnerable.

I'll hazard a guess that too will reach a tipping point, I'll also guess (probably wrongly) the powers that be are looking to get to the Easter holidays.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Have they announced an updated figure for deaths in the UK from the virus?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I am in almost exactly the same position. I had a bit of a temperature at the weekend for a little while, but otherwise just feel like I had/have a bad cold. Not really a runny nose, but mostly a bad cough that has left me feeling sore and bruised. Just texted my wife, she accepted the news stoically, my youngest was happy that he didn't need to go to college, and the eldest who is 19 is far from pleased.

You are not being melodramatic, you are (although it is unlikely you have the virus) trying to help your fellow countrymen as are all the others amongst us who are in this position.

My 5 year old daughter came home from school with a slight cough. Which over the weekend has turned into a persistent dry cough, so much so that she wont go to sleep as when she lays down that when it hurts most, she has started crying now when she needs to cough as it makes her tummy hurt.

There is no fever so I'm 100% sure it's not Corona but we cant get through to the doctors. Even if it was we cant just lock her in her bedroom. And we also have a 7 month old in the house too.

I must admit I'm getting nervous about this, especially with 70 year old parents, and one with PCD.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So school staff are expendable. Perhaps they need to be voting with their feet rather than accept being thrown under the bus.

School staff also aren't in immediate danger.
Hanging around the mobile petri dish that is 30 children all day, every day, might just make them the most resilient professionals out there..

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Again - The closing of schools may well have a serious and profound effect on the NHS and elderly care in general as health care employees find themselves having to stay home to look after healthy children, while sick patients are left even more vulnerable.

I'll hazard a guess that too will reach a tipping point, I'll also guess (probably wrongly) the powers that be are looking to get to the Easter holidays.

I’m not sure school staff are paid enough to assume this kind of risk. Perhaps we could choose another profession to volunteer for this dangerous babysitting while the nations parents work from home.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m struggling to understand the non closure of schools. Apparently children are not suffering from the virus but can be carriers. That leaves teachers in a very vulnerable position as the only profession required to not work from home and every day be in a public place with hundreds of potential carriers.

I think doctors, nurses, carers may beg to differ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m not sure school staff are paid enough to assume this kind of risk. Perhaps we could choose another profession to volunteer for this dangerous babysitting while the nations parents work from home.

School staff aren't paid enough, but that's for another day.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
School staff also aren't in immediate danger.
Hanging around the mobile petri dish that is 30 children all day, every day, might just make them the most resilient professionals out there..

That would explain my sons normal teachers being off with symptoms after his friend came.back from a trip to Madrid at half term .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So school staff are expendable. Perhaps they need to be voting with their feet rather than accept being thrown under the bus.

I appreciate where you are coming from as I teach in a school and my wife is a teacher. However, in this case there may be an argument for the action the govt is taking as it will likely save more lives. Teachers, at least in my experience over the past 10 years, are getting younger. Most of the older teachers we have now in our school are supply teachers. I hope this means the severity of any infections will be reduced significantly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That would explain my sons normal teachers being off with symptoms after his friend came.back from a trip to Madrid at half term .

You are Donald Trump.....

You are both correct I didn't do a good job explaining myself, sorry:-

Obviously we are all susceptible to contracting the virus, but as we all know working professionals aren't in immediate danger from it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here