Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
They are only testing people who have been admitted to hospital - and not always even then. People with symptoms are just being told to self-isolate. They are NOT being tested. How do we know whether they have or have had it or not? South Korea testing 22,000 people a day. Even NHS staff with symptoms are saying they are not being tested. This is a HUGE mistake.

It doesn't help that currently there is no test that shows if someone has had Covid19 and got over it, so without having had a positive test for the virus will mean everyone else is theoretically still susceptible to catching the virus when this clearly will not be the case

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
This gentleman is an oncologist but hopefully knows what he’s talking about. :smile:

E2A93AAD-3C44-431E-9D8B-6F1AF0DC78A3.jpeg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What risk, other than potentially catching the virus itself? Non-vulnerable under 60’s in the UK aren’t dying from this. Healthcare professionals in my family, some on lower pay than teachers, aren’t whinging about their COVID-19 lot in life. Schools will soon be closing anyway, so you can relax.

Reminder that about half of the first 91 dead in France were under 50 and that half of the cases in critical care (40-50) in Netherlands were also below 50. While numbers from China and Italy are telling a different story its just too early to make far-reaching conclusions about "who is not at risk". Its too early to tell what our western lifestyles could mean compared to the statistics from China and to some extent Italy.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My 5 year old daughter came home from school with a slight cough. Which over the weekend has turned into a persistent dry cough, so much so that she wont go to sleep as when she lays down that when it hurts most, she has started crying now when she needs to cough as it makes her tummy hurt.

There is no fever so I'm 100% sure it's not Corona but we cant get through to the doctors. Even if it was we cant just lock her in her bedroom. And we also have a 7 month old in the house too.

I must admit I'm getting nervous about this, especially with 70 year old parents, and one with PCD.

I hope your little girl improves rapidly and that your parents remain well too. I am worried about my parents who are in their late 70's. This is a horrible situation.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm no expert but

Turn off the stopcock
Bang a few pipes
Have a cup of tea
Go to the Plumber's merchants for parts
(and repeat)

Am I close ? ???

...suck air in through teeth
...shake head from side to side
...say 'it's not good mate, definitely not a 5 minute job, and because of that coronavirus it'll cost double what it normally would'

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Exponential growth assumes that no action takes place. It shows what happens on an open loop system. By taking action we have a closed loop system, even if the action taken isn’t that effective, it’s still closed loop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apologies if this has already been answered as I'm way behind on the thread, but if the growth in infections is exponential, is it not also fair to say that - since infection confers immunity - the *decrease* in the number of possible fresh targets for the virus is also exponential? And, if so, could this be where some of the more extreme extrapolations in terms of numbers infected, deaths etc are going awry?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What risk, other than potentially catching the virus itself? Non-vulnerable under 60’s in the UK aren’t dying from this. Healthcare professionals in my family, some on lower pay than teachers, aren’t whinging about their COVID-19 lot in life. Schools will soon be closing anyway, so you can relax.

I posted the tweet earlier in the thread today but the WHO tweeted

. Although the evidence we have suggests that those over 60 are at highest risk, young people, including children, have died

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Reminder that about half of the first 91 dead in France were under 50 and that half of the cases in critical care (40-50) in Netherlands were also below 50. While numbers from China and Italy are telling a different story its just too early to make far-reaching conclusions about "who is not at risk". Its too early to tell what our western lifestyles could mean compared to the statistics from China and to some extent Italy.

What is your source for this? You're posted a lot of unsubstantiated figures.
Population age

Older people, particularly those with ongoing health conditions, are more vulnerable to a range of illnesses, but coronavirus seems to be more concentrated among the elderly.

During the current flu season in France 72 people have died - 10 children under 15 years of age, 30 cases aged 15-64 and 32 cases aged 65 years and older.

By contrast coronavirus fatalities are generally older people. In France the youngest person reported to have died so far was 60 and 23 of the 33 people who have died so far were both over the age of 75 and suffering from a serious medical condition, said Director General of Health Jérôme Salomon.

He also added that in France, 98 percent of patients who have coronavirus recover.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Is this actually happening ? Seems like a surreal bad dream. Looks like I can't see Dad for 3-4 months now. The football season ceasing seems a non issue now the way things have moved on

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Out of interest, where are you getting these statistics on the various nations fatalities by age ? Thanks :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Now I am no friend of Bojo, but I think in these press conferences he's doing really well. He defers to his scientists to the extent they can actually interrupt him and he apologises for the fact he was speaking. I think this shows that behind the scenes, these people feel confident speaking their mind and that they are doing the leading, not the PM.

I'm actually feeling more confident from these briefings, that actually our PM isn't being some swiveled eye lunatic like the flappy-haired gimp over the Atlantic, but actually he is being led by experts and rightly so.

'shock horror' from Red Bold I hear people cry, but there I said it, outwardly I'm actually feeling some trust toward him in this crisis.

Couldn’t agree me. Never voted Tory, and would be surprised if I ever did, without ruling it out.

I think they’re pitching those press conferences just right.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It was because he’d (unknowingly) been in contact with someone who had the disease.

I know but that's 'why' he got a test....not 'how'.......the NHS can't cope now with the number requiring tests that have symptoms, and I don't think tests are privately available in the UK.............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports