Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So the advice is don't go to pub restaurants cinema but we're not closing them. If they are open people are going to go!! Feel for those industry's in fact all as it's going to cripple a lot

The government does not want to be responsible for telling these venues to close for some reason although they’ve told their customers to keep away. Spineless. Utterly spineless. I imagine it’s to avoid paying compensation out or funding the business’ so they don’t go bust.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I’m not sure school staff are paid enough to assume this kind of risk. Perhaps we could choose another profession to volunteer for this dangerous babysitting while the nations parents work from home.
What risk is that? Everyone's going to get it. They're just trying to limit the number of people who get it all at once.

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Pubs and restaurants really are going to go under now. Advising people to avoid them is the death knell. Depressingly predictable though. I feel for them.

No sympathy for trains at all. Fares are too high, staff very often rude and they'll have to dig into their hidden pots of gold. What a shame.

The government are doing as well as they can. Boris looked exhausted though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Now far be it from me to leap to the defence of that lying, selfish, over-indulged, philandering, racist, homophobic, islamophobic, unprincipled **** that has somehow ended up as Prime Minister of this country, but given the levels of knowledge about Coronavirus and the speed of what has happened, I can't see that there is anything obvious that he should have done and hasn't or shouldn't have done and has :shrug:

Apolitical enough for you [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] and [MENTION=27239]atomised[/MENTION] ? :wink:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Fwiw, Idris Elba has tested postive for Covid-19... but says he has not experienced symptoms 'so far'.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Brothers missus had ambulance crew out in their hazmat suits last night. Kind of lucky to be in the early wave as I expect next week that ambulance isn't turning up.
Meanwhile having had all the preparatory chemo father in law had cancer op cancelled while en route this morning.
Yep it's certainly real.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m not sure school staff are paid enough to assume this kind of risk. Perhaps we could choose another profession to volunteer for this dangerous babysitting while the nations parents work from home.

What risk, other than potentially catching the virus itself? Non-vulnerable under 60’s in the UK aren’t dying from this. Healthcare professionals in my family, some on lower pay than teachers, aren’t whinging about their COVID-19 lot in life. Schools will soon be closing anyway, so you can relax.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The government does not want to be responsible for telling these venues to close for some reason although they’ve told their customers to keep away. Spineless. Utterly spineless. I imagine it’s to avoid paying compensation out or funding the business’ so they don’t go bust.

The cross over of Tory donors and Lloyd's names is probably quite significant. If the government closes them then " force majeure" coverage is a straightforward claim should they have it. Just advising their customers not to go has far less effect on their liabilities.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I’m struggling to understand the non closure of schools. Apparently children are not suffering from the virus but can be carriers. That leaves teachers in a very vulnerable position as the only profession required to not work from home and every day be in a public place with hundreds of potential carriers.

Not counting the 600 kids, there is over 60 staff in our school.

That is also an issue!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I appreciate where you are coming from as I teach in a school and my wife is a teacher. However, in this case there may be an argument for the action the govt is taking as it will likely save more lives. Teachers, at least in my experience over the past 10 years, are getting younger. Most of the older teachers we have now in our school are supply teachers. I hope this means the severity of any infections will be reduced significantly.

I'm a teacher too and feel this is another thing being done on an ad hoc basis to avoid spikes and panic. We have a number out already who are self isolating and will probably have many more tomorrow given this evening's announcement. When the school gets to the point where they cannot operate with safe staff-student ratios then it will close. These closures will differ from school to school depending on staff make up - mine incidentally is different from yours as there are far more in the middle aged category. Tomorrow ours will stop student movement at a younger level by keeping them in one classroom for the day (except PE and staggered breaks) and just have teachers moving from room to room. We are also gearing up and preparing to deliver lessons from home.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What makes you think we are not testing people?

They are only testing people who have been admitted to hospital - and not always even then. People with symptoms are just being told to self-isolate. They are NOT being tested. How do we know whether they have or have had it or not? South Korea testing 22,000 people a day. Even NHS staff with symptoms are saying they are not being tested. This is a HUGE mistake.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Mass gathering banned but schools still open? Doesn’t make sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thought behind not shutting schools at this stage relates to child care either parents will need to be home from work or more worrying child care often falls to the Grandparents so potentially "A" Symptomatic Children unwittingly infecting the most at risk generation their own Grandparents

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Certainly hope the UK is doing the right thing because the Swedish state epidemiologist said that we are "happy to follow UK" as "they have the best epidemiologists in the world".
:eek:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I'm never going to vote for the guy but personally think Boris is handling this as well as can be expected.

I'd love to be able to ask him candidly, and receive an honest answer, whether he'd have thrown his hat into the ring for the PM job if he'd have known this was hiding around the corner.

Similar thoughts in the before household. Fate is a fickle bitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here