Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Jesus Christ, I know this pandemic is a huge worry, but I am not going to start shopping at ASDA.

Loads of free range eggs in the Marina ASDA earlier, unlike in other supermarkets. I think the typical ASDA clientele must think they’re some kind of foreign muck or exotic brand of egg so steer well clear. Battery hens eggs by contrast were sold out.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
He seems to be saying don’t go to them, and then said something about the businesses would then take the logical step. Presumably that would be to close? for 12 weeks?!

I assume being carefully worded to avoid Theatres pubs etc don't look to the Government to cover their trading losses.

I have a couple of theatre outings booked for March and April as well as an Easter Sunday lunch booked, I am expecting in the next day or so that all will be cancelled.

Also I don't expect football returning anytime soon.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Possibly as a reversal of the post situation, my son informed me that the instruction from his Sorting Office is that any packages unable to fit the letterbox are not to be handed to the recipient but placed on the ground / doormat for the occupier to pick up.

Can confirm this. My postie did exactly this on Saturday morning and explained it to me from distance.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I assume being carefully worded to avoid Theatres pubs etc don't look to the Government to cover their trading losses.

I have a couple of theatre outings booked for March and April as well as an Easter Sunday lunch booked, I am expecting in the next day or so that all will be cancelled.

Also I don't expect football returning anytime soon.

Yep - all for insurance purposes too. Some venues are still saying they are open and will be until the government force closures on them. Presumably when that does happen, they will have some claim against insurers. At the moment they're in the balance waiting to see who blinks first

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
A genuine compliment.

Imho you’re providing some sanity, whilst others are joining the personal attacks on politicians and scientists, and their work. Painting a picture, with an angle, that rest of Europe and the World is handling this brilliantly.

You said very clearly that only bozza was avoiding bringing party politics into this. I pointed out that I for one have not mentioned party politics on this or any other thread.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I'm not entirely sure if that is a compliment of a criticism, but when I replay one of our leading expert's statistics, get told I'm making a "big call" and then people get all snide towards me, then I'm out.

My position has simply been that, as someone with a little bit too much time on his hands, I recognised that this had the potential to be hugely ****ing scary earlier than many others. And, for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not talking about my own health there, but that of many others, the ability of our health service to help and the impact on the society we know (and largely) love.

I was ridiculed when I suggested the Palace game may be the last one we'd see this season and told it was all a big media frenzy when I suggested that the Brighton Marathon may not go ahead as scheduled.

Nothing has changed in terms of my feelings on this, sadly, and I couldn't have imagined how quickly this was all going to unfold.

I've never been a fan of Boris Johnson, and although my personal politics may not be as far left as some others, I was dismayed when he was returned as our Prime Minister. However, I take some heart from the fact that he always seems to be lacking in backbone and hope that means our subject matter experts have the influence their knowledge warrants.

Like everyone else here I have no idea what is the best way to navigate this horrendous situation where so many vulnerable people are at such great risk. I can't begin to fathom how you find the least worst outcome, as surely there is no best outcome.

People who don't take this seriously just don't put themselves in peril, they put everyone at peril. We can all be spreading the virus at any time.

As I say, I'm out of this thread for a while. I'm sure I'll post on it again, as it's not going anywhere any time soon. In the meantime I'm going to try and focus my efforts on trying to find ways this site can be used to support those who may need it.

I want everyone on here to stay well, to keep their families safe, retain employment and a place to call home. Good luck everyone.

Bozza try not to take it personally mate. I, and I would think most people on here, think you are totally sound. Do take a break tho if you think it will benefit you- we all need to protect our own sanity! [emoji106]

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is the logic we are advising don't go to pubs etc so they themselves close down through lack of business

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
why are people saying millions could die here with a population of 65 m and 3200 have died in china with a population of 1.5 b ? I don't get it
I'm sure we've been through this before? China locked the country down to stop the spread. The concern for China is that the virus will spread again when they lift the restrictions.

If we lock the UK down now, we'll have very few deaths from the virus for that period of time, but the general opinion seems to be that we wouldn't put up with the country being locked down for months (most people out of work), and as soon as we end the lock-down, the virus will spread again and the lock-down will have been for nothing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
LIVE ON BBC 1, Honestly people voted for this ****ing clown!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Surely you either close them or not, seems ambiguous to say the least that you should avoid them

id have hoped we could accept the general advice, understand we dont out if a bit poorly, keep a respectable distance, then everything can stay open on a go slow. seems we'd rather have explict advice to close everything, then complain about that, and lament all the staff out of work (who i've genuine concern for as they will be stuck). anything more than a couple of weeks restrictions will be responded to with outrage of how dare the government do this.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You said very clearly that only bozza was avoiding bringing party politics into this. I pointed out that I for one have not mentioned party politics on this or any other thread.

If you haven’t bitched about Boris, Cummings, the two lead scientists steering the government, or preached that the rest of Europe are handling this far better than us .... then I’m wrong, you too have debated without an agenda.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here