Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Possibly as a reversal of the post situation, my son informed me that the instruction from his Sorting Office is that any packages unable to fit the letterbox are not to be handed to the recipient but placed on the ground / doormat for the occupier to pick up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How does one deal with those that keep churning out "it's just flu mate"?
I'd say put the idiot on ignore, but it's tricky when he's a mod.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’m trying my best not to worry about my asthma, I’m taking my preventer more regularly than I’ve done since I was 12!!
Being a bit of an expert on, well, everything, I've told my daughter to double her preventer dosage. Some years ago she was on two puffs morning and night, now it's just one, but I figure she might as well go back to two for the next year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No unfortunately it isnt.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...il-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

"The document also states that:

The health service cannot cope with the sheer number of people with symptoms who need to be tested because laboratories are “under significant demand pressures”.
From now on only the very seriously ill who are already in hospital and people in care homes and prisons where the coronavirus has been detected will get tested."

Correct approach in my view - the vast majority that get it (or get a cold or something and think they might have it - which accounts for about 97% of those tested so far) will recover without intervention, so absolute focus should be on the minority that get very ill as a result of getting it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Listening to Boris now.

Overall plan is to delay and flatten the peak. OK.

Advise against unneccessary social contact (what does that mean, though?).

If you are showing any of the two fisrt symptoms, self isolate for 14 days (I agree with hat - but what about those wholive alone? Is he putting in place a proper support system? I will comment late).

In a week, the vulnerable to be shielded from social contact for 12 weeks. OK, once again, how are those living alone to be supported?

Londoners avoid non essential contact and work at home (that's me sorted).

No longer supporting mass gatherings with emergency workers. Don't get a coronary at the horse racing then.

Now a lot of blather about leading the fight, at the front of the effort to back our business.

No, absolutely nothing about supporting those in isolation, financially or with food etc.

Over to Pat Vallance....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can't listen to Vallance's blather. I have a neighbourhood suppoprt meeting now....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sorry to quote myself but thought this is relevant.

[tweet]1239582322044874752[/tweet]

yes, fair point our testing has dropped off. we need a simple test that doesnt require lab, i believe the Chinese have developed one so hopefully that will be introduced soon.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The shielding for 12 weeks definitely needs some fleshing out. Does the 12 weeks also apply to the mass gatherings. That's a big ask with a lot of repercussions

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is that in the Brighton and Hove area? ASDA have plenty of delivery slots.
Jesus Christ, I know this pandemic is a huge worry, but I am not going to start shopping at ASDA.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Care homes refuse to take them. My mother was in the Sussex County last summer following a fall. The care home where she had the fall refused to take her back because she wasn't mobile.
Three other care homes refused to take her and eventually she was found a place in Hailsham. She is nearly 92, has mobility problems and dementia, so needed a nursing home.

Our elderly care leaves a lot to be desired. They are like the forgotten generation.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is it a fair comment though? I asked him for a source to a previous statement s/he made, I am still waiting for a reply. (This comment might indeed be correct, I am not necessarily disputing that)

Honestly there are a few people on this board who seem to be experts in everything and very rarely ask questions or admit a lack of knowledge. On topics as important as this, I think thats dangerous.

This thread is a magnet for all those with blinkered, non-expert, opinions dressed as facts. Cherry picking from sauces that match their layman’s baseless grandstanding.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Being a bit of an expert on, well, everything, I've told my daughter to double her preventer dosage. Some years ago she was on two puffs morning and night, now it's just one, but I figure she might as well go back to two for the next year.

I'm a regular squash player and do some intensive sport, but have been just 1 puff at night for years, and sometimes forget to do that and don't for ages. Now back on twice morning and twice night - very sensible I think as it builds the resilience.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Mass gathering banned but schools still open? Doesn’t make sense

It makes sense if closing schools means the NHS and other vital services (shops, petrol stations, power suppliers, transport infrastructure etc) are stripped of staff who would have to be at home to look after their kids.

I guess. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here