Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How does one deal with those that keep churning out "it's just flu mate"?

I just opened up FB for the first time in a few weeks. The first post it showed me, from last night, was about this.

One reply:

“there's 70 million people in the UK.. less than 2,000 have it

Scaremongering at it's finest.”

D

Deleted member 22389

A first hand account. Make no mistake, this is cleary a very nasty virus to contract, even if you are young and healthy. Also worrying that in this instance it just started with what appeared to be a mild cold.

https://twitter.com/Narrowthefield/status/1238969032528855041?s=19

Sick of this BS that it only gets old people and most people will get mild symptoms. I didn't really want to say it, but my friends son has come down with something similar and been ill for the last two weeks. High temp, trouble breathing, mild pneumonia. NHS wouldn't test him, because of the guidelines. He's at home slowly recovering. If it takes down a fit and healthy 20 something, what's might it do to the rest of us?. My friend is worried sick obviously. Feel so sorry for the staff on the front line of all this, and this government wants to try and keep things running as normal, utter madness. How many more warnings do we need. Look and listen to what's happening in the rest of Europe before it's too late.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has this already been posted? A worry for me as my wife is on small doses of cortisone for her strain of arthritis. She has had treatment in France over the last two years and we have been impressed by it. Without going into detail they take a very different view to recommended medication from our English GP for this invasive condition.

May be of interest to a few on here

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Has this already been posted? A worry for me as my wife is on small doses of cortisone for her strain of arthritis. She has had treatment in France over the last two years and we have been impressed by it. Without going into detail they take a very different view to recommended medication from our English GP for this invasive condition.

May be of interest to a few on here

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

My other half has life long asthma, and cannot take ibruprofen because it affects his lungs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sick of this BS that it only gets old people and most people will get mild symptoms. I didn't really want to say it, but my friends son has come down with something similar and been ill for the last two weeks. High temp, trouble breathing, mild pneumonia. NHS wouldn't test him, because of the guidelines. He's at home slowly recovering. If it takes down a fit and healthy 20 something, what's might it do to the rest of us?. My friend is worried sick obviously. Feel so sorry for the staff on the front line of all this, and this government wants to try and keep things running as normal, utter madness. How many more warnings do we need. Look and listen to what's happening in the rest of Europe before it's too late.

I know what you mean. I’ve taken ‘mild symptoms’ as = not needing a hospital bed, not that it doesn’t make you feel very ill.

Joking aside about the whole man-flu, a harsh dose of the common cold can make you feel very ill. Most of us don’t experience flu, but when you do you quickly understand the difference between a bad cold and flu.

I guess for me, mild flu is at least 2 weeks in bed, mild fever, aches, chest, and feeling awful. And that’s mild! Goodness knows the reality of this thing on different people. I’m trying my best not to worry about my asthma, I’m taking my preventer more regularly than I’ve done since I was 12!!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Totally....... Whittey and Valance trusting a computer modelling program against WHO advice and in contradiction to the chief scientific/medical advisors of many other first world nations and others in our own, could be about to kill more people on British Soil than Hitler did.

The government needs to stop listening to one collective group, work with numerous allies and look why others are doing opposite and are calling this out as totally wrong before it's to late.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How does one deal with those that keep churning out "it's just flu mate"?

you could be pedantic and tell them its not actual flu. you could point out that either way flu still kills people and sometimes a lot of them - see Spanish flu. you could tell them theres a new mother on life support with it in London.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I know what you mean. I’ve taken ‘mild symptoms’ as = not needing a hospital bed, not that it doesn’t make you feel very ill.

Joking aside about the whole man-flu, a harsh dose of the common cold can make you feel very ill. Most of us don’t experience flu, but when you do you quickly understand the difference between a bad cold and flu.

I guess for me, mild flu is at least 2 weeks in bed, mild fever, aches, chest, and feeling awful. And that’s mild! Goodness knows the reality of this thing on different people. I’m trying my best not to worry about my asthma, I’m taking my preventer more regularly than I’ve done since I was 12!!

I think there's milder than even flu like symptoms, some are almost entirely asymptomatic until it clears I think. The BBC had a triangular graph with 4 levels, small death at top, underneath, severe (again quite small) bigger next lower level was flu like symptoms and cough, biggest by far lower level (much more than half) was very mild (virtually no symptoms)

This article is quite interesting about what it can do and for many that's nothing much..... Seems weird how for one it does nothing and another it's deadly.

[https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51214864

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was going to go to the centre to see what the city looks like without tourists but government quarantined us at midnight and police and army enforcing it, luckily somebody managed to get some pictures. Its surreal

Meanwhile, in Benidorm, a group of British drunks had to be be broken up by Spanish police. They were whinging about the bars being closed.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
In the next 3 weeks the UK will have atleast 2000 deaths. If we act now we can contain this and keep those numbers to a minimum.

We must close borders to prevent further spread. We must enforce strict curfews and close all non-essential businesses. Other countries are doing this, why are we still in denial about the seriousness of this?

If we do all of this now, today, we will get over this. If we act in 3 weeks time we will not see the deaths from those infected then for a further 3 weeks, that will be tens of thousands, and that just keeps going up.

Act now, today - before this does anymore damage. Put our people before profit. Protect us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That’s barmy, how can they pass it on if they’re isolated with mum and dad? Far more likely they’ll pass it on by being in school. As every parent knows, when each winter, multiple bugs are bought home by kids.

They won’t be.

Scaremongers are asking for schools to close for a month or two or more. Behaviouralists and public health experts have made it clear that there’s no way that all kids will stay in their homes, not meeting mates and elderly relatives for such a very long period. People would not adhere to that in a free country, advice fatigue soon kicking in.

Most of us may get the virus anyway. The plan is for shorter term school closures as and when appropriate.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

"Man flu" or a cold as my misses tells me, always wipes me out! I'm 31..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
They won’t be.

Scaremongers are asking for schools to close for a month or two or more. Behaviouralists and public health experts have made it clear that there’s no way that all kids will stay in their homes, not meeting mates and elderly relatives for such a very long period. People would not adhere to that in a free country, advice fatigue soon kicking in.

Most of us may get the virus anyway. The plan is for shorter term school closures as and when appropriate.

In Italy they closed the schools in Lombardy. Many parents then decided to head south to second homes/relatives and speeded up the spread of the virus.

Italy went in lockdown last Monday, however up to last Thursday you could during the lockdown period, have your hair cut in the morning, lunch in a cafe and then go out for an evening meal.

Lockdown means different things to different countries ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

Trying to do an online order to Sainsbury's for my elderly parents, I thought there may be a week wait, but there are NO available time slots for 3 weeks. So I decided to call to see if they had stopped this service altogether or arse holes were just stockpiling. They had me on hold for 10 mins listening to shite adverts and then ended the call, angry, just a tad.

:angry::angry::angry::flounce:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
In the next 3 weeks the UK will have atleast 2000 deaths. If we act now we can contain this and keep those numbers to a minimum.

We must close borders to prevent further spread. We must enforce strict curfews and close all non-essential businesses. Other countries are doing this, why are we still in denial about the seriousness of this?

If we do all of this now, today, we will get over this. If we act in 3 weeks time we will not see the deaths from those infected then for a further 3 weeks, that will be tens of thousands, and that just keeps going up.

Act now, today - before this does anymore damage. Put our people before profit. Protect us.

You are piers Morgan and I claim my £5

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning

Moron !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here