Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm interested in whether they have started closing gyms and health clubs in the UK yet. Some places fairly close to NYC have shut their gyms. My local gym was still open today but said they are reviewing this, I'm guessing they will shut shortly. I imagine their attendances are down anyway as some members will be self-isolating. But IMHO I would have thought so long as they enforce the cleanliness regime they have implemented and practice social distancing it would be better to keep them open so members, if they want, can still use them to keep fit and healthy which I would have thought was a plus under the current circumstances.

Nope - pretty much life as normal at the moment, but with sanitiser and posters everywhere telling people to wash hands etc. I'm sure not for much longer,, though.

I'm interested in whether they have started closing gyms and health clubs in the UK yet. Some places fairly close to NYC have shut their gyms. My local gym was still open today but said they are reviewing this, I'm guessing they will shut shortly. I imagine their attendances are down anyway as some members will be self-isolating. But IMHO I would have thought so long as they enforce the cleanliness regime they have implemented and practice social distancing it would be better to keep them open so members, if they want, can still use them to keep fit and healthy which I would have thought was a plus under the current circumstances.

Agree it's good to keep them open if managed properly for the reasons above. My gym (Withdean Gym), is still open but there are signs everywhere giving advice etc, however I think this week we will see restrictions/closures put in place. All still feels so surreal. Whats the atmosphere like there?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Interesting article.

Surely we'll be adopting more social distancing measures in the coming days. Where do schools stand, though? I understand reasons behind wanting to keep open as long as possible, but you can't expect schools to stay open but otherwise enforce social distancing measures?!

I think in an ideal they were looking at getting schools through to Easter break. I really cant see that now. I would be surprised if they get to next week without closing them. I appreciate it causes other issues but I just dont see alternatives. This time next week we will be approaching shutdowns like Spain are. This time last week their cases were slightly lower than ours are today

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think in an ideal they were looking at getting schools through to Easter break. I really cant see that now. I would be surprised if they get to next week without closing them. I appreciate it causes other issues but I just dont see alternatives. This time next week we will be approaching shutdowns like Spain are. This time last week their cases were slightly lower than ours are today

Ah OK. I read somewhere back end of last week they were trying to keep them open till May,which even then seemed pretty unrealistic. I can see the worry behind working parents having to provide care, but surely they simply can't stay open if we are banning all other gatherings.

It's all so surreal!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Ah OK. I read somewhere back end of last week they were trying to keep them open till May,which even then seemed pretty unrealistic. I can see the worry behind working parents having to provide care, but surely they simply can't stay open if we are banning all other gatherings.

It's all so surreal!

I find it really strange and quite difficult to take right now. NSC is keeping me sane.
I think you're right in that they had hoped for May but all this changes so quickly. I know at my kids school they had a senior teachers meeting friday afternoon and as I've said miles back in this thread they sent a series of strange test emails that afternoon which I'm suspecting relate to sending homework out if or when they have to close

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Seriously, if this scenario happens the country will collapse. What are people going to do? They will not be hospitalized- they will be left to die at home untreated.

My worry too. The country wont cope with that level of infection.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Judging by the way humanity is dealing with something that can't be statistically classified as more dangerous than the flu I'd say we've all got a bigger chance of dying from mass stupidity or complications from damage caused by the permanent holding of a phone a few inches from the eyes.

Utterly mad panic going on right now. It's a ****ing COLD FFS.

Let it spread a bit, develop some herd immunity, watch it disappear in the summer and have a vaccine ready for the next winter flu season.

It isn't though. There are FIFTEEN cases in the UK. Fifteen. A lot more chance of dying in the flooding. That's where BoJo should be focussed.

And how many more will it kill than car accidents, alcoholism, seasonal flu, AIDS, cancer, diabetis etc etc.

Massively stupid panic. Viruses do not want to kill anyone because that kills the virus. Build up immunity and work on a vaccine. Simple.
I'm amazed you've got the nerve to still post about something you've got so spectacularly wrong.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Whats the atmosphere like there?

Pretty good considering how paranoid some New Yorkers can be. Both the Mayor and Governor have wisely chosen to ignore Trump and do their own thing. All the major tourist attractions like the Museums and Broadway are shut, the upstate ski resorts are shut or about to shut and all sports stadiums shut a few days ago. Doesn't seem to be any real problems with panic buying (unlike some other States) - only real issue is the travel restrictions on flights which will impact a lot of Brits living here, but that's the same for a lot of folk. Overall we're being kept well informed and most folk seem happy with the way things are being managed. Also, like a lot of other countries, they are making sure the elderly and homeless are being looked after as much as possible

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Interesting article.

Surely we'll be adopting more social distancing measures in the coming days. Where do schools stand, though? I understand reasons behind wanting to keep open as long as possible, but you can't expect schools to stay open but otherwise enforce social distancing measures?!

Solution with schools is not difficult imho. I actually get the theory why staying open makes sense to ensure childcare for the 1000’s in the NHS, who may otherwise be forced to leave to look after their kids. But 90+% of patents don’t work in the NHS. In the countries where lockdowns are happening, kids are being taught mainly by video link.

So why not do both, set up the video link in the school classroom, allow parents who have no choice to bring their kids if they choose, and allow as many others in the position to look after at home the ability to interact through the video link.

It’s the age of FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp it can’t be that hard.

Even if you then had half or less the kids in school, you’re going to reduce the kids to patents spread where families who can are given the legal basis to lock themselves down and their kids to still engage via video, whilst the frontline NHS worker can also have their kids attended at school. This will surely flatten the curve more than all kids being in school and spreading it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Solution with schools is not difficult imho. I actually get the theory why staying open makes sense to ensure childcare for the 1000’s in the NHS, who may otherwise be forced to leave to look after their kids. But 90+% of patents don’t work in the NHS. In the countries where lockdowns are happening, kids are being taught mainly by video link.

So why not do both, set up the video link in the school classroom, allow parents who have no choice to bring their kids if they choose, and allow as many others in the position to look after at home the ability to interact through the video link.

It’s the age of FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp it can’t be that hard.

Even if you then had half or less the kids in school, you’re going to reduce the kids to patents spread where families who can are given the legal basis to lock themselves down and their kids to still engage via video, whilst the frontline NHS worker can also have their kids attended at school.

That's a very good solution and would also take pressure off parents who may have kids at home for months.

Jimmy Grimble

The argument I’ve seen with schools that baffles me is that if we close them kids will be stuck at home with parents/grandparents and may pass it onto them.

Do they not otherwise spend time with their parents/grandparents?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I did see in one article a suggestion that schools would remain open with a skeleton staff for the kids with parents in frontline services

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The argument I’ve seen with schools that baffles me is that if we close them kids will be stuck at home with parents/grandparents and may pass it onto them.

I’ve not seen that as a reason anywhere.

The reason I’ve seen, which makes perfect sense, is that if the kids are at home a parent will need to be also. When that parent works in the NHS (30% of NHS workers have kids in school) that gets problematic.

Particularly if you can’t dump them with the grandparents as you usually would...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

That’s barmy, how can they pass it on if they’re isolated with mum and dad? Far more likely they’ll pass it on by being in school. As every parent knows, when each winter, multiple bugs are bought home by kids.

Jimmy Grimble

The reason I’ve seen, which makes perfect sense, is that if the kids are at home a parent will need to be also. When that parent works in the NHS (30% of NHS workers have kids in school) that gets problematic.

Particularly if you can’t dump them with the grandparents as you usually would...

It was on Twitter somewhere, as I said it baffled me.

One of the other reasons that you’ve pointed out is of course not so baffling.

Does make me wonder about Italy/Spain - they must have a similar percentage of parents in their healthcare system?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

That is one side of the coin that makes sense, the other is that vast majority of parents will have covid19 walk straight through the front door and into the loving arms of mum and dad.

Schools are viral spreaders end of.

Jimmy Grimble

That is one side of the coin that makes sense, the other is that vast majority of parents will have covid19 walk straight through the front door and into the loving arms of mum and dad.

Schools are viral spreaders end of.

Not to mention the teachers and teaching assistants who seem to be forgotten about in the schools debate!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here