Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
They won’t be.

Scaremongers are asking for schools to close for a month or two or more. Behaviouralists and public health experts have made it clear that there’s no way that all kids will stay in their homes, not meeting mates and elderly relatives for such a very long period. People would not adhere to that in a free country, advice fatigue soon kicking in.

Most of us may get the virus anyway. The plan is for shorter term school closures as and when appropriate.

In my opinion I picked it up or something massively resembling it from my son being around his friends who came back from a half term trip to Madrid. That's not scaremongering. I imagine there are more possibly only just starting to show symptoms at that school

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Trying to do an online order to Sainsbury's for my elderly parents, I thought there may be a week wait, but there are NO available time slots for 3 weeks. So I decided to call to see if they had stopped this service altogether or arse holes were just stockpiling. They had me on hold for 10 mins listening to shite adverts and then ended the call, angry, just a tad.

:angry::angry::angry::flounce:

Is that in the Brighton and Hove area? ASDA have plenty of delivery slots.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know what you mean. I’ve taken ‘mild symptoms’ as = not needing a hospital bed, not that it doesn’t make you feel very ill.

Joking aside about the whole man-flu, a harsh dose of the common cold can make you feel very ill. Most of us don’t experience flu, but when you do you quickly understand the difference between a bad cold and flu.

I guess for me, mild flu is at least 2 weeks in bed, mild fever, aches, chest, and feeling awful. And that’s mild! Goodness knows the reality of this thing on different people. I’m trying my best not to worry about my asthma, I’m taking my preventer more regularly than I’ve done since I was 12!!

Deffo.

I had 'normal' flu once.
I'm sure before then I thought I had flu a fair few times, I have never ever thought I had flu since.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In Italy they closed the schools in Lombardy. Many parents then decided to head south to second homes/relatives and speeded up the spread of the virus.

Italy went in lockdown last Monday, however up to last Thursday you could during the lockdown period, have your hair cut in the morning, lunch in a cafe and then go out for an evening meal.

Lockdown means different things to different countries ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

many countries "lock down" is little more than a closure of the leisure industry and schools. meanwhile food shops open (busiest ones most go to) and going to the office is business as usual. no country in Europe has actually closed their borders as far as i can tell, with broad exceptions to the headline. random limiting of size of events doesn't do much practical to limit contact.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In the next 3 weeks the UK will have atleast 2000 deaths. If we act now we can contain this and keep those numbers to a minimum.

We must close borders to prevent further spread. We must enforce strict curfews and close all non-essential businesses. Other countries are doing this, why are we still in denial about the seriousness of this?

If we do all of this now, today, we will get over this. If we act in 3 weeks time we will not see the deaths from those infected then for a further 3 weeks, that will be tens of thousands, and that just keeps going up.

Act now, today - before this does anymore damage. Put our people before profit. Protect us.

Jesus. It’s people like you that I want to distance myself from in times of crisis. Emotional, overwrought, panicked and irrational. For everyone’s sake, leave social media and stay indoors.

D

Deleted member 2719

Is that in the Brighton and Hove area? ASDA have plenty of delivery slots.

Thanks, this is in the Chichester area.

We don't have an Asda, but I will look elsewhere, can't stand companies that are faceless. A customer should never be cut off IMO.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Trying to do an online order to Sainsbury's for my elderly parents, I thought there may be a week wait, but there are NO available time slots for 3 weeks. So I decided to call to see if they had stopped this service altogether or arse holes were just stockpiling. They had me on hold for 10 mins listening to shite adverts and then ended the call, angry, just a tad.

:angry::angry::angry::flounce:

Not quite as bad here - but I usually do my Tesco click/collect on a Saturday to get Monday, luckily I checked just in time Friday to grab the last available slot on a Monday.

Finalised the order last night and thought I'd check - they were already booked up until next Monday again! So only causes panic as I've now done a dummy order of random stuff just to get a slot next week... so on and so on...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
In the next 3 weeks the UK will have atleast 2000 deaths. If we act now we can contain this and keep those numbers to a minimum.

We must close borders to prevent further spread. We must enforce strict curfews and close all non-essential businesses. Other countries are doing this, why are we still in denial about the seriousness of this?

If we do all of this now, today, we will get over this. If we act in 3 weeks time we will not see the deaths from those infected then for a further 3 weeks, that will be tens of thousands, and that just keeps going up.

Act now, today - before this does anymore damage. Put our people before profit. Protect us.

giphy.gif

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Thanks, this is in the Chichester area.

We don't have an Asda, but I will look elsewhere, can't stand companies that are faceless. A customer should never be cut off IMO.
I was on hold to EasyJet for 1 hour 37 minutes before they answered, but at least they didn't cut me off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
China’s coronavirus lockdown likely saved tens of thousands of lives by slashing air pollution from factories and vehicles, according to a new analysis by a Stanford University scientist...

...“Even under these more conservative assumptions, the lives saved due to the pollution reductions are roughly 20x the number of lives that have been directly lost to the virus,” Burke writes, using statistics current on March 8.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmc...lives-in-china-just-from-pollution-reduction/

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Let's be Proactive, not REACTIVE

That’s what is happening. If you took time to read or watch some of the explanations of why we are holding back on quarantine and lockdown it might put your mind at rest.

This is not the government sitting back and seeing what happens. It is a deliberate phase in a well thought out, very sensible response. It is the only way to stop hospitals becoming overwhelmed.
For once I actually admire Johnson for listening to medical experts and for holding his nerve despite uninformed cries for action.

Again, watch and read the explanations and try and be calm. You’re not helping anyone, least of all yourself.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
China’s coronavirus lockdown likely saved tens of thousands of lives by slashing air pollution from factories and vehicles, according to a new analysis by a Stanford University scientist...

...“Even under these more conservative assumptions, the lives saved due to the pollution reductions are roughly 20x the number of lives that have been directly lost to the virus,” Burke writes, using statistics current on March 8.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmc...lives-in-china-just-from-pollution-reduction/

How many have lost jobs, homes etc because of factory shutdowns?

Our manufacturing plants in Asia have been closed since middle of January and just about getting back up to 50%. Not sure how good the unions etc are out there?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This shit it still scaring me - can anyone reassure me?!

Taking the positives, there's the open letter from over 200 uk-based scientists warning the government not to experiment with 'herd immunity' whereby you build up immunity in the community by letting up to 60% of the population catch the virus to supposedly protect the rest. Tho you don't need to be a rocket scientist, or any kind of scientist at all, to see that that would be a reckless, near-criminal act that would consign huge numbers of people to an early grave totally necessarily

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-51892402

Let's all hope the views of the 200 scientists, and those of just about every other civilised nation, prevail

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That’s what is happening. If you took time to read or watch some of the explanations of why we are holding back on quarantine and lockdown it might put your mind at rest.

This is not the government sitting back and seeing what happens. It is a deliberate phase in a well thought out, very sensible response. It is the only way to stop hospitals becoming overwhelmed.
For once I actually admire Johnson for listening to medical experts and for holding his nerve despite uninformed cries for action.

Again, watch and read the explanations and try and be calm. You’re not helping anyone, least of all yourself.

The degree of panic, fuelled by the media and social media, is clouding what is (hopefully) a very measured and calculated response by the UK aimed at 'flattening the curve' (so the services can cope) and building longer term immunity IMO - obviously time will tell whether this works. Equally, as and when China and other places come out of lockdown, they could see a massive spike in cases - something our approach is aiming to avoid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here