Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Happy freedom day everyone!

What will you do with your new freedoms? I've got the day off work but thinking it's a bit too hot to go out and I've heard the roads might be busy so I'll probably just stay in and watch TV :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Popped into Co-op this morning - would say still about 85-90% mask wearing, slightly surprised it was so high.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Popped into Co-op this morning - would say still about 85-90% mask wearing, slightly surprised it was so high.
I did a bit of shopping first thing this morning in Lidl, Waitrose and Morrisons for various things, as you say about 90% of staff and customers still wearing masks and squishing the hand gel.

The vast majority of people NOT wearing masks were blokes about 20-50 years old who strode around trying to make eye contact and almost looking for an argument.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I did a bit of shopping first thing this morning in Lidl, Waitrose and Morrisons for various things, as you say about 90% of staff and customers still wearing masks and squishing the hand gel.

The vast majority of people NOT wearing masks were blokes about 20-50 years old who strode around trying to make eye contact and almost looking for an argument.

The two people I saw unmasked in Co-Op were 20-30 year old "hard" blokes.

I'm guessing it's some sort of insecurity thing, like you can't be an "alpha" and wear a mask.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
FarmFoods, 3 customers wearing masks, 4 not. Staff, 1 wearing a mask round her chin, the other no mask at all.

I find the cheaper the shop, the more likely people (both customers and staff) have been to leave off the mask.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
E6nWhjqWYAQk2YB.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I'm guessing it's some sort of insecurity thing, like you can't be an "alpha" and wear a mask.

Erm…I don’t quite fall into this category….but then I tend to go when quiet …I’ll just be getting on with my shopping have a chat and out…I’m not a lover of shopping but I’ll make my own judgements over whether it’s busy or not and exercise my newly found right :facepalm:

Ps I have adhered to the law to date

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nice sunny week ahead, many schools broken up - sure there will be an awful lot of people 'unfortunately' pinged and 'have' to isolate this week.......................at what point does this become a nightmare for employers as the system gets abused I wonder.........probably is already ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Erm…I don’t quite fall into this category….but then I tend to go when quiet …I’ll just be getting on with my shopping have a chat and out…I’m not a lover of shopping but I’ll make my own judgements over whether it’s busy or not and exercise my newly found right :facepalm:

Don't misunderstand me - by and large I'm relatively agnostic in my stance on masks/covid in general. I try to take the centrist, balanced view and not go along with the hysteria at either extreme. I'm making a (perhaps shallow) judgment on the blokes I saw based on their demeanour.

Similarly, I turned up at a petrol garage the other day and saw a sporty car fly right into the disabled spot right in front of the doors. Very clearly not disabled. You can guess whether they wore masks or not.

This isn't to judge all who don't wear masks, just there are a certain type who don't...bit like how not all Brexiteers are racist, but all racists are Brexiteers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Happy freedom day everyone!

What will you do with your new freedoms? I've got the day off work but thinking it's a bit too hot to go out and I've heard the roads might be busy so I'll probably just stay in and watch TV [emoji106]
I'm not sure what new freedoms actually affect me. Nothing really changes for me today.

I think I can now go to the pub without booking ? ???

That is a plus. Not so much of a plus on a Monday, mind.

Still, by way of balance, I can see that Cyrus the Virus is now free to run amok so that is less good news :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I think you are correct, the Alpha Male thing goes back to well before Neanderthals, any little skill or learned behaviour and masculinity enhancer was going to help you get an" edge" so you got to pass your genes on. . Sadly that kind of falls flat when dealing with viruses.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
bit like how not all Brexiteers are racist, but all racists are Brexiteers.
Or like "not all people who think themselves better than the rest of us make stupid sneering generalisations, but all people who make stupid sneering generalisations think themselves better than the rest of us".

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don't misunderstand me - by and large I'm relatively agnostic in my stance on masks/covid in general. I try to take the centrist, balanced view and not go along with the hysteria at either extreme. I'm making a (perhaps shallow) judgment on the blokes I saw based on their demeanour.

Similarly, I turned up at a petrol garage the other day and saw a sporty car fly right into the disabled spot right in front of the doors. Very clearly not disabled. You can guess whether they wore masks or not.

This isn't to judge all who don't wear masks, just there are a certain type who don't...bit like how not all Brexiteers are racist, but all racists are Brexiteers.

It’s fine….I totally understand where you were coming from…and my response wasn’t appropriate anyway as I’ve been wearing one …reasons why are another matter.

Total has been dubbed ‘freedom’ day …..it’s been watered down a bit and perhaps not what was envisaged when the four steps were announced ..for me personally not much of a difference to whatever I did last week…hospitality industry will be relieved ..it remains to be seen how people behave, in how responsible they (I am) are and whether some can start to be less covid centric

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here