Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Or like "not all people who think themselves better than the rest of us make stupid sneering generalisations, but all people who make stupid sneering generalisations think themselves better than the rest of us".

So you think a majority of people voting in the Brexit referendum who hold racist views voted Remain?

I'd be surprised if you are correct, I think that's slightly far fetched personally.

Not stupid, nor sneering at all. Plenty had reasons to vote Brexit that they saw as perfectly valid.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Have you been pinged? Me too. It's a phenomenon that's disrupting Britain's much-lauded 'Freedom Day'. Richard Walker, MD of Iceland, told the BBC the chain has about 1,000 people absent because of Covid or Covid self-isolation rules. That's around 4pc of its workforce.

"A number of stores have had to close and the concerning thing... [is] this could get much worse," he told the Today Programme.

"This is one of the great ironies, we've somehow kept this show on the road ... we've never had to close a single shop, and now we have."

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
So you think a majority of people voting in the Brexit referendum who hold racist views voted Remain?

I'd be surprised if you are correct, I think that's slightly far fetched personally.

Not stupid, nor sneering at all. Plenty had reasons to vote Brexit that they saw as perfectly valid.

I'm sorry. I misunderstood what you meant by the word "all".

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have you been pinged? Me too. It's a phenomenon that's disrupting Britain's much-lauded 'Freedom Day'. Richard Walker, MD of Iceland, told the BBC the chain has about 1,000 people absent because of Covid or Covid self-isolation rules. That's around 4pc of its workforce.

"A number of stores have had to close and the concerning thing... [is] this could get much worse," he told the Today Programme.

"This is one of the great ironies, we've somehow kept this show on the road ... we've never had to close a single shop, and now we have."

#18136 refers :shrug:

As well as the 'actual' pings, I bet there a lot claiming they have been pinged too.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Went out to get some avocado and granola for breakfast from our local Co-op and was pleasantly surprised that everyone I saw inside wore masks and kept social distancing whilst queueing.

Yoda

English & European
Took a trip to the corner shop at the end of my road on my break to grab an ice cold bottle of coke an something to munch on whilst I still work from home.

As I was the only customer, I decided to make my fleeting visit without my mask on. (As per the advice)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the irony is thats occured with restrictions. of course the concern is lifting restrictions makes this happen more, such stories only demostrate need for more restrictions that we've had, in order to reduce contacts. so lets say that outright.

meanwhile the rest of europe with various levels of restrictions are seeing cases rise like we did a month ago. its inevitable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sadiq Khan on news: must be cautious, wear masks on transport... we have the world class parks, restaurants, music, theatre, its safe to come to London... bring forward not requiring isolation for double jabbed.

so supportive i suppose.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think you are correct, the Alpha Male thing goes back to well before Neanderthals, any little skill or learned behaviour and masculinity enhancer was going to help you get an" edge" so you got to pass your genes on. . Sadly that kind of falls flat when dealing with viruses.

These days I think the "alpha male" thing has now become linked with toxic masculinity of men who feel they have to try and "prove" themselves at every opportunity. The sort who 60-70 years ago would have had it beaten out of them by the army or on national service who wouldn't have put up with their schtick for five minutes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would stick with "majority" unless you have stats.

Not my intention to be contentious (didn't exactly see it as a contentious view to be honest, any more than "Highbury was known for being a bit of a library"), as made very clear by the point that I wasn't making a judgment on those who voted Remain for non-racist reasons.

Seems a strange one to have an issue with, unless you feel strongly that a sizable number of racists voted Remain. I'd be genuinely interested in your rationale on that, as I can't quite see the logic myself.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Took a trip to the corner shop at the end of my road on my break to grab an ice cold bottle of coke an something to munch on whilst I still work from home.

As I was the only customer, I decided to make my fleeting visit without my mask on. (As per the advice)

Likewise I visited the post office/store (I won’t describe what I went to buy) three people plenty of space ..so didn’t wear one ..other three did ..shrug.

Gorgeous weather out enjoy it if u r able

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Two-thirds of adults in Great Britain said they still plan to cover their faces in shops, following the lifting of most coronavirus legal restrictions in England from July 19, PA Media reports. PA says:

The same percentage - 64% - plan to wear masks on public transport, while 60% plan to avoid crowded places, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

Statistics from the ONS’s weekly opinions and lifestyle survey also found nine out of 10 adults believe continuing to wear face coverings is important for slowing the spread of Covid-19, whilst 88% said social distancing from those not in their household remained key.

More than half who were surveyed between July 7 and 11 said they were worried about plans to remove legal restrictions, which come into force today. One fifth said they were “very worried”.

BJ has once again badly misjudged the public mood and appetite for restrictions.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Two-thirds of adults in Great Britain said they still plan to cover their faces in shops, following the lifting of most coronavirus legal restrictions in England from July 19, PA Media reports. PA says:

The same percentage - 64% - plan to wear masks on public transport, while 60% plan to avoid crowded places, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.

Statistics from the ONS’s weekly opinions and lifestyle survey also found nine out of 10 adults believe continuing to wear face coverings is important for slowing the spread of Covid-19, whilst 88% said social distancing from those not in their household remained key.

More than half who were surveyed between July 7 and 11 said they were worried about plans to remove legal restrictions, which come into force today. One fifth said they were “very worried”.

BJ has once again badly misjudged the public mood and appetite for restrictions.

What's stopping the 64% and 60% now?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1417080475420614657[/tweet]

WTF do these people want?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I don't think he has - he's basically said remain cautious and take some personal responsibility - so all those who answered the survey in that way can continue to be cautious (if, of course, how people answer a survey can be taken as any indication of what they really think....which is doubtful). If they do, then that is a large cohort that will help manage infection spread whilst we get most people through their second jabs. If people don't wear masks or socially distance then the survey is clearly full of answers from hypocrites or people using it to deliver a political message - 'I think Boris is an arse, so I'll vote that we should be wearing masks because he's released restrictions, but if I don't have to wear one I'm not going to'

I'll be happy wearing a mask anywhere that asks me to and don't use public transport much at all so maybe I'm lucky in that Freedom Day doesn't really make much difference at all to me - the only big, big plus is full sports grounds going forward. Can't wait.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Two of my local pubs are shut. Not really feeling the while freedom thing, to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here