Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Time for the rubber to hit the road and enter the brave new world tomorrow. Bearing in mind the speed of the turnaround today i wouldn't bet against restrictions returning when the political heat gets a bit too much.

Enjoy your Freedom Day. I hope it brings you all you expect.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[tweet]1416701263429918727[/tweet]

View attachment 138764

On 18 January 2021, 560 covid patients occupied beds in that trust. The most recent tally was 83.

For anyone unfamiliar with the Liverpool Echo, it’s owned by the phone hacking Mirror and it shows …. very similar to the Argus. Shit stirring and clickbait from start to finish, non-stories dressed up as news and a load of football transfer lies.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are other counties calling it by their leaders name?

of course they dont. its a popular meme on UK social media that ignores the prevalence across the world.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Not a chance. Thank Christ.

There will be hundreds of thousands of cases per day at its peak in Autumn and it will look scary, but it will be manageable.

When that Autumnal peak starts coming down, hopefully we can all unite in celebration and safely say we've done it.

Except those in mourning.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Won’t be doing anything different than I have for the last few weeks. What projections have you swallowed this time ? More of Ferguson’s scaremongering twaddle ?

I’d like to know what the thinking is

It’s a simple choice

Vaccines work and trust them to do their thing v restrictions forever.

It’s starting to come over as anti vax

I assume he’s talking about the new modelling they scrambled together when they realised the original ones where off by thousands.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On 18 January 2021, 560 covid patients occupied beds in that trust. The most recent tally was 83.

there's been a theme of these articles this week, looked at couple of similar headlines to find Covid patients in teens, and unreported intensive cases (too low to count for privacy). more evidence the media should be curtailed, print what they like, long on opinions short on objective reporting.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
there's been a theme of these articles this week, looked at couple of similar headlines to find Covid patients in teens, and unreported intensive cases (too low to count for privacy). more evidence the media should be curtailed, they can print what they like, subjective views dressed as objective fact.

What I love, I find it really heart warming in fact, is the independently spirited and inquisitive nature of folk. In essence, people make their own minds up. Including a great number of nsc posters.

Against a backdrop of every single newspaper (left and right), the marxists and ragtag haters at :lolol:’Independent’ Sage and a tidal wave of boring social media influencers. All failing the less is more principle, in the end it it becomes patently obvious either stirring or propaganda.

I stick to hunting down facts, comparing them to April 2020 and January 2021, and against other nations metrics.

Keeps sanity!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Except those in mourning.

Including those who failed to get their life saving cancer diagnoses or treatments from March 2020 onwards, as Covid and lockdowns dominated all health service thinking, or those who committed suicide after their businesses or jobs were lost, or simply found themselves isolated from mankind.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Including those who failed to get their life saving cancer diagnoses or treatments from March 2020 onwards, as Covid and lockdowns dominated all health service thinking, or those who committed suicide after their businesses or jobs were lost, or simply found themselves isolated from mankind.

Yes, every death resulting from this situation is a tragedy, and it is always a question of balance which is all I am asking for as a vulnerable person. By all means open up some things like hospitality but retain safe spaces in things like transport and essential shops which do not have a significant negative impact on the economy. Not sure I totally get the argument about cancer treatment delays in the context of them being a result of restrictions. I have had a lot of my treatments at UCLH and when infection rates were high earlier this year the wards that I spent time on were converted to COVID wards meaning that procedures like stem cell transplants were postponed until lockdown measures and vaccinations brought these down. High infection rates , staff shortages and the uncertainty caused by rising rates were the problem. This was not a media-fed delusion; the beds were full of genuinely ill people.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Like undiagnosed cancer, it’s a time bomb with a delay. Happy people including kids have had their lives turned upside down, gregarious kids went through hell with no school, adults have lost businesses, people with decent jobs in the travel sector for example have been financially ruined. Someone in my family has many friends who had longstanding careers in the airlines or at Gatwick/Heathrow, with mortgages, kids and commitments, they’re facing personal bankruptcy.

All unreported stuff, because there’s a fixation on only one type of death …. death with Covid and now the condition Long Covid as its take precedence over anything else medically or psychologically.

I’m sure you and I will be amongst the first to highlight worsening cancer numbers as they wash through, but other than churlishly trying to pin them on politicians, few have will have an interest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57315731

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, every death resulting from this situation is a tragedy, and it is always a question of balance which is all I am asking for as a vulnerable person. By all means open up some things like hospitality but retain safe spaces in things like transport and essential shops which do not have a significant negative impact on the economy. Not sure I totally get the argument about cancer treatment delays in the context of them being a result of restrictions. I have had a lot of my treatments at UCLH and when infection rates were high earlier this year the wards that I spent time on were converted to COVID wards meaning that procedures like stem cell transplants were postponed until lockdown measures and vaccinations brought these down. High infection rates , staff shortages and the uncertainty caused by rising rates were the problem. This was not a media-fed delusion; the beds were full of genuinely ill people.

From what I understand a lot of people were scared shitless by the relentless government campaigns of stay in doors etc that quite a few people did not go and seek the care that they needed…and that’s just one angle on it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
1DB888D3-A9DE-4995-A164-AD0B70DAA4D4.png

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
From what I understand a lot of people were scared shitless by the relentless government campaigns of stay in doors etc that quite a few people did not go and seek the care that they needed…and that’s just one angle on it

I don't doubt that this was the case as many people viewed hospitals as unsafe and were alarmed by the tone of campaigns and many that tried to get to be seen will have had difficulty getting GP appointments. None of these would have been helped by attempts to play down the pandemic or by not taking measures to control it which is the position that some people have taken. The messaging could have been much better and many GP services, the first place that people who are worried about symptoms go, were totally unequipped and unprepared but nothing would have been gained by under-playing the reality of COVID.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't doubt that this was the case as many people viewed hospitals as unsafe and were alarmed by the tone of campaigns and many that tried to get to be seen will have had difficulty getting GP appointments. None of these would have been helped by attempts to play down the pandemic or by not taking measures to control it which is the position that some people have taken. The messaging could have been much better and many GP services, the first place that people who are worried about symptoms go, were totally unequipped and unprepared but nothing would have been gained by under-playing the reality of COVID.

Thanks for your reply….I’m glad you recognise the tone of the campaigns….and in no way was I suggesting that it should be underplayed..more that this effort to control people by fear…remember they’ve spunked millions on various advertisements….…and the media should take some responsibility for that

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I am speaking as a vulnerable person who has a compromisd immune system (cancer but not caused by lifestyle ) which will reduce the efficiency of a vaccination and is much more likely to suffer a serious case of Covid. Personally I am not too worried about people going to pubs, clubs etc.. I don’t expect to have as full a life as a healthy person. I am concerned about staff in those sectors and would want to see them having some safety measures in place but also want them to have employment and it has been heartbreaking to see so many small businesses close.
However, whilst rates remain as high as they are I would like to see some safe environments maintained for people like me, and there are millions of us; like transport and essential shops so that we are not prisoners at home and can still work, feed ourselves and be economically active. It really isn’t much to ask that people are required to experience the mild amount of inconvenience of wearing a mask for a short time in these places to give us a life.
I don't think masks are as effective as you believe. Certainly they do not make the difference between "safe" and "not safe" on a bus - un your circumstances, whether they would improve the odds sufficient to change the risk from "unacceptable" to "acceptable", I would doubt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here