Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Republic of Ireland have announced an extension of lockdown until at least the end of April. Their lockdown appears to be much more robust than ours, only legally allowed to exercise within 5km of your home and even construction stopped.

Yes they have and the public are very unhappy about it, 40% of the construction industry is still going ahead if it is deemed essential. There are growing concerns in Government about dwindling compliance with some aspects of Covid-19 regulations as fatigue sets in among the population.

Data published on Monday shows one-third of the population are not staying within 10km of their homes, and the level of adherence to restrictions has been decreasing during February.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Take it up with Churchill then.

Yes, I know those places could refuse me entry, but you would be ok with them having special requirements? Seems very ‘No Irish, no dogs’ to me.

I noticed you didn’t pick up the point about not having to be vaccinated against worse viruses/diseases.
That's a good idea actually "No selfish ****s please "

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I noticed you didn’t pick up the point about not having to be vaccinated against worse viruses/diseases.

we already accpet and have routine vaccination against many other virus, to the point that immunity in the population doesnt require restriction. sooner we all get vaccinated for this novel virus, sooner we can forget about needing possible restrictions.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Republic of Ireland have announced an extension of lockdown until at least the end of April. Their lockdown appears to be much more robust than ours, only legally allowed to exercise within 5km of your home and even construction stopped.

Like us they made big mistakes before Christmas, seems they are being super cautious

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Another 10,000 cases today, the rate of decrease has slowed dramatically and almost seems to have stagnated now, real concern with a big bang of schools returning in just over a week this will almost certainly lead to the virus transmission numbers rising exponentially again. If Boris was following the science he'd be pushing back schools reopening to after Easter.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Another 10,000 cases today, the rate of decrease has slowed dramatically and almost seems to have stagnated now, real concern with a big bang of schools returning in just over a week this will almost certainly lead to the virus transmission numbers rising exponentially again. If Boris was following the science he'd be pushing back schools reopening to after Easter.

Glass half empty there mate.

Cases down 21% yesterday (week on week) and 17% today. So whilst we’re not at the levels of a week or two back, it’s still moving in the right direction.

Todays numbers
323 deaths (454 last week)
9985 cases (12057 last week)

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Perhaps I should put it in the good news thread, but cases have fallen by 15.7% in the past week. They're still falling exponentially. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

How many cases were reported last Thursday ? Infections have 'stagnated' at a 15.7% rolling 7 day FALL. From a peak of 70k, the fall will naturally slow. Also, that's only one piece of data - deaths are plummeting at over 30% a week, and hospitalisations at over 20% - indeed, the steadiest, most sustainable decline over the longest period has been hospital admissions which are now well below 50% of the peak.

If you want to look for an interpretation of an isolated number (it's never worth looking at one day's number for anything as the reporting isn't sufficiently timely to be accurate on a daily basis) to create anxiety you can of course find it, but OVERALL the trends are positive and support the planned route out of lockdown. If you choose to ignore that I don't think you're helping yourself, and certainly not helping others.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Perhaps I should put it in the good news thread, but cases have fallen by 15.7% in the past week. They're still falling exponentially. :thumbsup:

Last 30 days 68% fall in deaths, Germany 50% fall, Italy 35%, France 25%. We did start from a peak a late Jan, but the numbers are pretty encouraging....

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
How many cases were reported last Thursday ? Infections have 'stagnated' at a 15.7% rolling 7 day FALL. From a peak of 70k, the fall will naturally slow. Also, that's only one piece of data - deaths are plummeting at over 30% a week, and hospitalisations at over 20% - indeed, the steadiest, most sustainable decline over the longest period has been hospital admissions which are now well below 50% of the peak.

If you want to look for an interpretation of an isolated number (it's never worth looking at one day's number for anything as the reporting isn't sufficiently timely to be accurate on a daily basis) to create anxiety you can of course find it, but OVERALL the trends are positive and support the planned route out of lockdown. If you choose to ignore that I don't think you're helping yourself, and certainly not helping others.

The current numbers are encouraging and I don't think even the most optimistic members of sage were projecting from the numbers we had at the beginning of January and the relatively weak lockdown we'd have numbers by now below 10,000 daily, deaths below 500 daily and numbers in hospital around 15,000. My concerns are that the numbers around cases are slowing, and with schools going back in one big bang next week and likely to add between 0.1 and 0.5 to R rate we have a real risk we are rushing and will tip the numbers back into rising cases which will ultimately lead in more hospitalisations and more deaths and push all of the unlocking of society back somewhat. Personally I think we should let primary school children return and then leave secondary schools until after Easter, giving another 5 weeks of (fingers crossed) substantial decline of the virus.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Right, you’ve quoted the “not worse than flu” bit again, and “we didn’t have to wear masks, get vaccinated, etc...”

Are you just too stupid to see that you are actually answering your own question. The things you quote are precisely why the death figures have remained lower then they would have if idiots like you had your way.

As for vaccinations against other viruses and diseases, how about this for starters...

https://www.livescience.com/65304-smallpox.html

And this little list of recommended vaccinations for children, some of which you will undoubtedly had, unless of course your mother was as stupid as you are...

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/diseases/forgot-14-diseases.html

Or this article on vaccinations and how they have saved lives and prevented unnecessary deaths...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4024226/

I’m sure your reply will be more “what aboutery”.

What’s that old saying “there are none so blind as those who will not see”?

What the **** are you on about? I didn’t say I was against vaccines :ffsparr: Another bogeyman made up in your head again.

There’s no evidence lockdown has saved any life. There was a table posted on here a while ago that said infections were going down BEFORE lockdown happened. If you really want an explanation I can just send you a very clear, thought out video, but you’d rather throw insults at people like a child. Embarrassing.

You’ll have to show me when Covid killed more than 28,000 in a month, or more than 1.5 million worldwide. I assume you wanted a lockdown then and when we had Hong Kong flu aswell.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The current numbers are encouraging and I don't think even the most optimistic members of sage were projecting from the numbers we had at the beginning of January and the relatively weak lockdown we'd have numbers by now below 10,000 daily, deaths below 500 daily and numbers in hospital around 15,000. My concerns are that the numbers around cases are slowing, and with schools going back in one big bang next week and likely to add between 0.1 and 0.5 to R rate we have a real risk we are rushing and will tip the numbers back into rising cases which will ultimately lead in more hospitalisations and more deaths and push all of the unlocking of society back somewhat. Personally I think we should let primary school children return and then leave secondary schools until after Easter, giving another 5 weeks of (fingers crossed) substantial decline of the virus.

Secondary schools are doing a lot of testing when they go back, hopefully this will help.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Secondary schools are doing a lot of testing when they go back, hopefully this will help.

Unfortunately it's the less reliable rapid tests that only pick up a fraction of the true positive tests, and being conducted by teachers. Then after a fortnight parents are supposed to do the testing, and will have to pick up the consequences if their child tests positive and all in the household all have to isolate. With a more transmissible strain now dominant this is a recipe for disaster. I think three weeks from now we will see rising cases again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately it's the less reliable rapid tests that only pick up a fraction of the true positive tests, and being conducted by teachers. Then after a fortnight parents are supposed to do the testing, and will have to pick up the consequences if their child tests positive and all in the household all have to isolate. With a more transmissible strain now dominant this is a recipe for disaster. I think three weeks from now we will see rising cases again.

What fraction ?
Rising cases are factored in - hence the delay. It’s calculated risk, not 100% elimination.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What the **** are you on about? I didn’t say I was against vaccines :ffsparr: Another bogeyman made up in your head again.

There’s no evidence lockdown has saved any life. There was a table posted on here a while ago that said infections were going down BEFORE lockdown happened. If you really want an explanation I can just send you a very clear, thought out video, but you’d rather throw insults at people like a child. Embarrassing.

You’ll have to show me when Covid killed more than 28,000 in a month, or more than 1.5 million worldwide. I assume you wanted a lockdown then and when we had Hong Kong flu aswell.

So your “recent” for flu killing more than Covid was something that happened 50 years ago. I guess that’s recent in the history of the world, but not so recent in terms of medical and scientific advances.

Oh! And do you know how that particular strain of flu was slowed - by a vaccine no less... a vaccine you seem so opposed to, yet clearly in the past has been shown, along with the others I linked to, to do so much good.

As for the vaccination but, you have set your stall out quite firmly there, too... saying

You have clearly given the impression you don’t want the vaccine or any restrictions on your “freedoms” that may follow with that choice. I was simply pointing out how many vaccinations people have, right from childbirth, but clearly you are too dense to understand this...

Basically, you just don’t like being told what to do by authority, do you...? Even if deep down you know it’s for your and everyone else’s good - you just want to kick back at “them”!

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

But will it. I think we have to look at cases=hospitalisation later=deaths later differently now so many have been vaccinated. It would well be now that we see a rise in cases with no knock-on effect on hospitalisations and deaths.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But will it. I think we have to look at cases=hospitalisation later=deaths later differently now so many have been vaccinated. It would well be now that we see a rise in cases with no knock-on effect on hospitalisations and deaths.

Precisely......there will be infections, but the vast majority of people won’t get seriously ill as the vacc programme progresses. The infections number will soon become the least important - if virtually no-one is ending up in hospital or dead then we’re in the clear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here