Madjeski Stadium

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I think they should ban tall people in top hats from the front 4 rows

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
My seat was down the front so I sat there, I was on the right hand side and there were loads of empty seats around me.

I parked in the official car park and thanks to some utter twunts who think they are more important than others took over an hour to exit the car park, Reading would do well to marshall the flow of traffic and stopping people barging in.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
My seat was down the front so I sat there, I was on the right hand side and there were loads of empty seats around me.

I parked in the official car park and thanks to some utter twunts who think they are more important than others took over an hour to exit the car park, Reading would do well to marshall the flow of traffic and stopping people barging in.

I have NEVER parked in an official club car park (Yeovil, Bournemouth, Stoke) that wasn't complete carnage after the final whistle. However parked in an unofficial one where half the profits went to charity (full of Reading fans - good sign), was on the M4 by 5.25. (And we were more or less the last people out of the Albion end as well).

Hove Blade

May 2, 2006
I'm guessing with a username like 'Hove Blade' he's an exiled Sheff Utd fan. Either that or he's got an unhealthy interest in knives.
I'm pleased to confirm it's the former! I registered for this site when I moved down here and have 'lurked' ever since!

Maybe it's payback time for the shit you probably faced from opposition fans about the Withdean, but I thought BensGrandad's post had more than a touch of 'Big Time Charlie' about it.

If you are going to criticize the Madejski for the steps being too steep or there being no big screen opposite the away end, I dread to see your comments about Bramall Lane when (if!) you return.

You guys have the best ground in the league (in the country?) - enjoy it and all the luxuries that an impressive new ground brings. Many non-Albion fans got right behind your campaign for the new stadium and I think it would be a pity if you now started to laud it over us less fortunate fans.

Good luck for the season chaps. I'll be back in 5 years!!! :bigwave:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What sort of twat names a stadium after themselves? Talk about loving yourself!
He didn't. He built up his own business (autotrader) and then decided to give something back to the local community - so he built a stadium for the local football club. The board at the time were so grateful that they named it after him, and their supporters understandably fully backed the decision. Nothing twattish about wiggy really (apart from the fact that Reading promptly took advantage of their new found status by stealing all our best personnel in the early noughties when we couldn't compete)

I'm pleased to confirm it's the former! I registered for this site when I moved down here and have 'lurked' ever since!

Maybe it's payback time for the shit you probably faced from opposition fans about the Withdean, but I thought BensGrandad's post had more than a touch of 'Big Time Charlie' about it.

If you are going to criticize the Madejski for the steps being too steep or there being no big screen opposite the away end, I dread to see your comments about Bramall Lane when (if!) you return.

You guys have the best ground in the league (in the country?) - enjoy it and all the luxuries that an impressive new ground brings. Many non-Albion fans got right behind your campaign for the new stadium and I think it would be a pity if you now started to laud it over us less fortunate fans.

Good luck for the season chaps. I'll be back in 5 years!!! :bigwave:
Wise words there. Oh and delighted to see the Blades in the top two. I really don't like Sheffield Wednesday, so it's been lovely seeing them blow 5 points in their last two games by conceding three injury time goals. :thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Been to Mad.Stad lots of times, with the Albion and Irish. Always enjoyed it, it’s still a decent stadium. You can’t complain about the location and transport related issues, that’s just churlish. It’s right in the heart of the Thames Silicon Valley, Microsoft and Oracle have their UK headquarters a stone’s throw away, so land commands a hefty premium in the surrounding area you know! Besides, they upgraded jct 11 recently and it’s a lot better than it was. Not Reading’s fault that there are also retail parks and distribution centres dotted all around the adjacent area; in fact, many help the Mad.stad by renting their parking out on matchdays so be grateful – it could be a lot worse! Anyone need a reminder about Bennett’s Field?!!

But I agree, it’s amazing how tatty it now looks yet I remember being extremely jealous when we rocked up there in the early noughties in the knowledge our potential was held back only by the absence of a stadium. We dreamed of a Mad.Stad.......but now, I wouldn’t want it at all!

A special mention must also go to their plastic goal music and announcer with his be loud, be proud and make some noise, for the boys type ditties – a late candidate for most annoying person in 2011? I cringed and any honest Reading fan must do the same. Utter goon and total embarrassment to a great club that was born 30 years before ours. Never really noticed that before.

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
A special mention must also go to their plastic goal music and announcer with his be loud, be proud and make some noise, for the boys type ditties – a late candidate for most annoying person in 2011? I cringed and any honest Reading fan must do the same. Utter goon and total embarrassment to a great club that was born 30 years before ours. Never really noticed that before.
Even more so then Richard Reynolds still think some of his antics on the pitch are pretty cringeworthy at times

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Could they not down load a seat plan of the ground away area and when either going on line or buying at the shop which I usually do you would see what tickets are available and buy accordingly and the see what seat you have bought.

Are you saying as an oldie who needs to sit and also wishes to be with sons and grandson who also like to sit, generally, we should just go and grab any 6 seats and sit on them irrespective of who may turn up later and claim them as theirs.

The Football League tickets sales regulations say that tickets *must* be sold in the order specified by the home club, so the away ticket office doesn't have discretion to let people pick and choose seats (although some do, unofficially!).

As to making a stand unreserved, that actually reduces capacity by 10-15%, as people leave empty seats between their individual groups.

The only answer is the "etiquette of standing" mentioned above, plus stewards who are happy to allow that - but you won't find an official response to that under current FL regulations.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

No worse than Richard Reynolds though is it?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The unwritten rule is standing at the back and old codgers sitting down at the front. Works fine at away games until some twunt (and guests sometimes) insists on taking their allocated seat in the last couple of rows at the back.

I thought the unwritten rule was sit in the seat you are allocated then there are no problems!

I do accept what you are saying, but then my experience is that the club are quite amenable for people who request to be seated near the front.

If supporters want to sit near their mates then use the 'Family and Friends' option when buying tickets.....

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Rule of thumb for me - if you can buy tickets on the day you sit where you like. As I did. Although the seats were claimed by the ticket-holders just before kick-off so I moved. No fuss, no nonsense. Just wish I hadn't moved to the back row with the wind and rain lashing at the back of my head.

I didn't much care for the 'darts' music played after each goal though.

rockypaul

May 23, 2011
We had allocated seats right behind the goal which we dislike, so we spoke to a friendly steward and he said wait until the whistle goes and he showed us to some empty seats behind the disabled area.. excellent view and no one turned up to move us on. Agree it does look a bit dated in some areas especially the toilets, but everything seem to function well in the concourse and none of the long food queues we experience week in week out at the Amex. Though a pain in the arse getting out of the car park after the game.
Also what's with there fans singing, just the small singing area next to the visitors stand, the rest of the stadium was a quite as mice.. not like the Amex where pretty much all the stands join in at some point or other..?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We had allocated seats right behind the goal which we dislike, so we spoke to a friendly steward and he said wait until the whistle goes and he showed us to some empty seats behind the disabled area.. excellent view and no one turned up to move us on. Agree it does look a bit dated in some areas especially the toilets, but everything seem to function well in the concourse and none of the long food queues we experience week in week out at the Amex. Though a pain in the arse getting out of the car park after the game.
Also what's with there fans singing, just the small singing area next to the visitors stand, the rest of the stadium was a quite as mice.. not like the Amex where pretty much all the stands join in at some point or other..?

You've obviously never been to the withdean :lolol:

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I agree. Hated the steps up - like climbing a cliff. Reminded me a little of the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff in those far off days. I wasn't able to see the goal below us most of the time because the guys in front of me insisted upon standing throughout the match, but not at half time, funnily enough. They pointed out that they had to stand because the people in front of them in turn were standing up, and so on and on. Maybe the steep steps up there put the stewards off, but isn't this what they are supposed to do? It was a pretty expensive afternoon, what with the tickets, car park and the world's most expensive hot dog on the way in, and I honestly thought more (or indeed something!) could have been done to ensure that everyone got a good view.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I agree. Hated the steps up - like climbing a cliff. Reminded me a little of the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff in those far off days. I wasn't able to see the goal below us most of the time because the guys in front of me insisted upon standing throughout the match, but not at half time, funnily enough. They pointed out that they had to stand because the people in front of them in turn were standing up, and so on and on. Maybe the steep steps up there put the stewards off, but isn't this what they are supposed to do? It was a pretty expensive afternoon, what with the tickets, car park and the world's most expensive hot dog on the way in, and I honestly thought more (or indeed something!) could have been done to ensure that everyone got a good view.

The usual day trippers, want to go to the very back and then sit down, and expect everyone else to sit :facepalm:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
First visit to The Madj and I agree that it's looking a bit tired, I expected something more 'polished'. I guess it's a combination of how stadiums look different on the tv to in the flesh often and (naturally) comparing everything to The Amex now. Having said that it's a decent ground capable of generating a good atmosphere with good views all round. For whatever little gripes we may have about The Amex it does remind you of how very, very luck we are, and that we should never take anything for granted.

Big positives were the stewarding (friendly and helpful); the outside burger vans; and the smoking area - although I don't smoke my brother does and it was nice to pop out at half time with the chuffers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here