Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Madjeski Stadium

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
I used the the car park on the old greyhound stadium site and got out pretty quickly but fortunately for me I live to the north of Reading so avoided queue to get on the M4 and was home by 6.30. 2 hours earlier than returning from the Amex. Luxury!

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
My tip for avoiding the M4 wait for next season (hopefully). Use the former greyhound stadium car park - £8 to park on derelict ground - just to north of ground but only 5 mins walk away. On leaving turn north towards Reading town centre and look out for A4 signs going east (not west or you will end up in Newbury) and then join M4 at a later junction.

Dandyman

In London village.
The unwritten rule is standing at the back and old codgers sitting down at the front. Works fine at away games until some twunt (and guests sometimes) insists on taking their allocated seat in the last couple of rows at the back.

Is the right answer - I have no problem with either newbies or returnees as such but people who fail to understand a simple bit of custom and practice like this drive me up the wall.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Is the right answer - I have no problem with either newbies or returnees as such but people who fail to understand a simple bit of custom and practice like this drive me up the wall.

I was fairly high up with people in front of me standing and people behind wishing to sit down, who was in the wrong area in your opinion.

Dandyman

In London village.
I accept that but why cant the club sell the tickets accordingly.

Unless people ask for a specific area I'm not sure how they could do it for away games - I actually prefer it when clubs sell away tickets as "unreserved seating".

Dandyman

In London village.
I was fairly high up with people in front of me standing and people behind wishing to sit down, who was in the wrong area in your opinion.

The people wishing to sit down should have moved further down. I usually stand but had a rotten cold yesterday, so deliberately found a seat nearer the front so I could sit down.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Unless people ask for a specific area I'm not sure how they could do it for away games - I actually prefer it when clubs sell away tickets as "unreserved seating".

Agree with you that it's simple away game etiquette that people need to learn/accept, but it's quite easy - when the away tickets come in for games like this that are gonna have more than just the usual brigade travelling sort them into two piles: nearer the front and nearer the back. Wouldn't strictly solve the problem of people moaning that someone is in their exact seat, but would surely alleviate the problem a bit.

Dandyman

In London village.
Agree with you that it's simple away game etiquette that people need to learn/accept, but it's quite easy - when the away tickets come in for games like this that are gonna have more than just the usual brigade travelling sort them into two piles: nearer the front and nearer the back. Wouldn't strictly solve the problem of people moaning that someone is in their exact seat, but would surely alleviate the problem a bit.

Agree.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could they not down load a seat plan of the ground away area and when either going on line or buying at the shop which I usually do you would see what tickets are available and buy accordingly and the see what seat you have bought.

Are you saying as an oldie who needs to sit and also wishes to be with sons and grandson who also like to sit, generally, we should just go and grab any 6 seats and sit on them irrespective of who may turn up later and claim them as theirs.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
The people wishing to sit down should have moved further down. I usually stand but had a rotten cold yesterday, so deliberately found a seat nearer the front so I could sit down.

So the people who have paid for a seat to sit in have to move whereas the person who wishes to do as he pleases stays where he is. I do not understand this attitude of standing at a football match in a seated area it's not a throwback to the old terraces where there was pushing, shoving and to a lot of people great atmosphere. Personally, I think the advent of all seater ticketed stadia is a Godsend, I use to get fed up with missing half the match through not being able to see or all of it if I turned up late and the gates were locked.

Dandyman

In London village.
So the people who have paid for a seat to sit in have to move whereas the person who wishes to do as he pleases stays where he is. I do not understand this attitude of standing at a football match in a seated area it's not a throwback to the old terraces where there was pushing, shoving and to a lot of people great atmosphere. Personally, I think the advent of all seater ticketed stadia is a Godsend, I use to get fed up with missing half the match through not being able to see or all of it if I turned up late and the gates were locked.

If you want to sit why don't you do so at the front and let those who want to stand do so at the back - it's surely not that difficult a concept ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you want to sit why don't you do so at the front and let those who want to stand do so at the back - it's surely not that difficult a concept ?

What does he do if somebody turns up 2 minutes before kick off demanding to sit in the seat that they have paid for and are accompanied bya steward who agrees with them and tells him to vacate the seat.

Dandyman

In London village.
What does he do if somebody turns up 2 minutes before kick off demanding to sit in the seat that they have paid for and are accompanied bya steward who agrees with them and tells him to vacate the seat.

Unlikely IMO - but the answer once again is unreserved seating.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I had a women behind me yesterday who got moody and told me to sit down. I suggested she moved down the front. I was halfway up the stand, if she wanted to sit, go somewhere else. She sat the whole game listening to the radio commentary and then left in the 84 minute. Wish i had just stood the whole time to piss her off.//// If you wanted to stand why did'nt YOU MOVE to the back,then you won't be in the way of someone who has paid to watch a match seated,some people have trouble standing and cannot see the match because some selfish 'idiot' insist standing up in front of them!!

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Parked in Costco, next to the ground, left on the third goal and was out of the car park in five minutes, back home by 6.35. Remember using the official car park before and taking ages getting out. A steward said to me yesterday its not a problem standing up, provided no one's view was being blocked.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
I had a women behind me yesterday who got moody and told me to sit down. I suggested she moved down the front. I was halfway up the stand, if she wanted to sit, go somewhere else. She sat the whole game listening to the radio commentary and then left in the 84 minute. Wish i had just stood the whole time to piss her off.//// If you wanted to stand why did'nt YOU MOVE to the back,then you won't be in the way of someone who has paid to watch a match seated,some people have trouble standing and cannot see the match because some selfish 'idiot' insist standing up in front of them!!

It's a football match, not Hamlet at the theatre. They should sit down the front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here