Madjeski Stadium

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If a theatre can havea seat plan and allocate seats on a first come first sold basis where you actually pick your seats as to whether you want to sit or stand why cant a football club. I dont think it would have been ATFC as this 8 chaps 30 - 40 year old who had 6 seats and wanted to sit/stand tiogether but fortunately they left at half time and either moved or whatever.

The big screen is an added pleasure to see replays of highlights and I was using that asa comparison to the Amex where they can be easily seen by everybody in the stadium and in fact in most new stadiums. Because of its location I didnt watch it once. This was not a moan just an opinion based on my Amex experience.

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I thought the stadium is starting to look a bit tatty round the edges. Small concourses. When I first went there, I thought it was amazing but it shows how superior the amex is.

Same here.
When we first went in 2003 I was really impressed and asked a steward "please could we have one like this?"

But now I'm really glad we didn't get one like it. I thought it 's become tired and tatty-looking.

All the row numbers on the steps have worn away and never been replaced, the seat numbers are missing off loads of the seats, and the ladies loos were swimming in water leaking from the pipes (not us missing the pan!).

What's the point of having a half-decent stadium if you don't maintain it?

And it was really cringeworthy when John Madjeski walked out on to the pitch before the game to some sort of triumphalist music and waving to the fans.
Took us and hour to get out of the car park as well.

IMHO our Amex is 100 times better.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We parked less than 10mins walk from the turnstiles for £7, had a perfectly OK curry pie and a pint before the game, the gents loo was clean and plenty of space, and we had a really good view from behind the goal (as I said earlier, the best I can remember since a visit to Tynecastle a few years ago) because the stand is close to the pitch and well raked - imho, much better than the 'ends' at The Amex.

They seemed to enjoy the goal music - it was the only time most of them made any noise at all.

Not sure what else you need in a football stadium.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
I liked the ground. when i saw the other end i thought if that was our north stand it would bounce. Our ground is ok but like readings better.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Pretty nice stadium, but the surrounding area reminded me of MK Dons away. Bleak, miserable and no pubs in sight.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Pretty nice stadium, but the surrounding area reminded me of MK Dons away. Bleak, miserable and no pubs in sight.

I have always thought that (go there quite often to watch London Irish), but there is a great pub that was discovered by some of my mates yesterday called Callaghan's, about 10 mins walk from the ground (and right next to some car parks that were very easy to get out of after the game!).

judewri

Oct 7, 2003
west sussex
I agree with earlier poster on this thread re allocation of seats - getting older now and would quite like to sit ( no objection to those who prefer to stand ) always ask for seats near the front but nearly always get them right near the back ! Yesterday of course we were lucky it wasn't sold out so went near the front just before kick off !!! Why can't the club give us front seats if we book early which we always do ???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Because when I bought my 6 seats we were allocated row EE so I automatically went to the seat that I had purchased. Is that not the correct thing to do? If not why do they bother to number the seats and tickets.

The unwritten rule is standing at the back and old codgers sitting down at the front. Works fine at away games until some twunt (and guests sometimes) insists on taking their allocated seat in the last couple of rows at the back.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As we go to the maj quite a few times with London irish, I must say I do like the stadium and parking next to the ground for rugby games is very handy...even when there is 10 thousand in the ground.

The main stand is very comfortable and the gap between seats in front of you is great.

Of course, the advantage of being able to sit with a pint or two watching the game next to an opposing fan without being made to feel you are a neanderthal waiting to thump them is also good

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How would you compare your view yesterday with that from the Amex North stand?

Probably about the same actually. I was a bit higher than Amex but all in all the view was great from where I was.

What sort of twat names a stadium after themselves? Talk about loving yourself!

You know what - when a bloke offers to spend millions giving you a new home, I'm inclined to think he can call it what he bloody well likes! He brought the good times back to Reading in a really big way. I can remember the Elm Park dump when we had 6,000 max watching a Brighton/Reading game.

I like the stadium but it does look a tad tatty now and I don't like the location, although handy if you are driving. We were on the outskirts of Reading by 5pm last night having left just after the 3rd goal.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
During the dark days of Withdean when I made my first visit to the Madjeski, I was in awe. Having the AMEX to compare, I have to agree with others - There is NO comparison. It now seems a bit jaded around the edges with a poky concourse & looks like any other identikit cookie cutter stadium. Its basically St Marys with blue seats.

On the plus side & full marks to them. They fully cater for those that fancy a half time puff. Forget the pro or anti smoking debate - Its something that should be considered at the AMEX. Its a practise that goes on at plenty of grounds & any so called 'legal arguments' won't wash. It saves those folk who don't want to inhale second hand smoke having to inhale it in the bogs when people go for a sly one.

We parked in what I guess is the equivalent to Coldean at The Majeski, being about 25 minutes walk. Getting away from the area was a nightmare! We finally got onto the M4 at 6.05pm. Whether this was down to more people using cars as there were no trains, I'm not sure? The stadium was built with car usage in mind rather than public transport like The AMEX.

I'm very happy with the AMEX, thank you.

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
One of the stewards who spoke poor English told fans they could sit where they lilked. I thought this would cause a problem as we got nearer to kick off as fans came looking for their seats only to find them taken. There were a number of fairly friendly discussions around me by those looking for their seats one of which involved some very elderly supporters who were having difficultly with the steep steps. When the away end is pretty well sold out like yesterday think it would be better for all concerned to stick to a your seat number is your seat policy. When you are 30 rows up to have the person sitting in what you think is your seat pointing to an empty seat down near the front is not very helpful. This happened in front of me.

Otherwise a nice stadium but already showing its age in parts - amazing how quickly that happens. Good view - even from the Gods. Splendid view of Reading defender getting hold of CMS around the throat which ref 5 yards away somehow missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports