Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Don't have much sympathy for Pompey as a club because of their financial mess - and those fans who blindly accept this. I do feel for the core of decent fans who are embarrased by the blatant abuse of trust by the respective Club owners.

I really do think it is time the Club's owners are made an example of, not just for their sake but also to make a stand for rest of footie. You cannot allow repeated examples of living beyond their means and serial failings to pay decent creditors. They are taking the p**s.

At some point the decent core of fans need to step away and push for a fresh start in an AFC Pompey or similar way. If they do then they would get respect in a Fans ReUnited way.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
if its a club you like, you lot are the first to arrange a quick charity club wank as its portsmouth you are all ready to throw them to the dogs let the fucker learn blah blah blah. Is it really the loyal pompey fan's fault that the club has been owned by C**ts who havent payed their taxes? Are you responsible for making sure TB pays Albion taxes? I would have thought you would go by the saying of there but the grace of god go i? No not for pompey hypocrital bollox as usual.

Good post... btw it's paid not payed ;) sorry a pet hate of mine

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The fact owners of Pompey and Palace have been screwing people left right and centre for a long time is a given, but they are also screwing their fans who have little say in this and deserve better.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I can't believe some of the comments on this thread. The club is about the fans, not the string of b@@tard owners (and their dodgy deals). We should absolutely back any Pompey Fans United calls; it's a proper, old fc despite being a rival (even though we might get a handful of fans from the wild west of Sx) :smile:
If Pompey Fans call a Fans United day then I'll be there (they make a cracking day). However, all I've seen is their fans burying their head in the sand and hoping the evil HMRC go after real criminals, not a poor little football club.

If they start to get a grip on reality and call for help then I'll happily jump on a train/coach/car and head down there for a day out. Plymouth welcomed us with open arms and created a good footballing friendship, maybe (when Pompey realise they really are in the shit) the same will happen with the team from the other end of the A27.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The fact owners of Pompey and Palace have been screwing people left right and centre for a long time is a given, but they are also screwing their fans who have little say in this and deserve better.

I refer the honourable gentlemen to what happened to a certain Bill Archer. Fans can have an impact, they can fight tooth and nail to make the authorities wake up to a bad situation even if the do not have the power of removal themselves. The Albion fans proved you could do it, or at least go down fighting. Where is the fight from Pompey fans? They have done bugger all, or whatever they have done has been below the radar.

They should at least be picketing the Football League demanding that their 'Fit and Proper Persons' test is worth the paper it's written on. This is an issue that affects so many clubs, they should be making common cause with others who caught in the same trap and drumming publicity and embarrassing the authorities into action, yet they do NOTHING!

I stand to be corrected if they have been busy on this front, but I've yet to hear of anything.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I refer the honourable gentlemen to what happened to a certain Bill Archer. Fans can have an impact, they can fight tooth and nail to make the authorities wake up to a bad situation even if the do not have the power of removal themselves. The Albion fans proved you could do it, or at least go down fighting. Where is the fight from Pompey fans? They have done bugger all, or whatever they have done has been below the radar.

They should at least be picketing the Football League demanding that their 'Fit and Proper Persons' test is worth the paper it's written on. This is an issue that affects so many clubs, they should be making common cause with others who caught in the same trap and drumming publicity and embarrassing the authorities into action, yet they do NOTHING!

I stand to be corrected if they have been busy on this front, but I've yet to hear of anything.

This.

Like you say they could make a stand with the authorities. "Pompey not a rich mans plaything" type campaign to anyone who will listen.

But there is bugger all. Believe me Meridian and Fred Dineage would LOVE it.

Yet they still dont sell their best players and spunk money on Benjani and Kitson. OUTRAGEOUS.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Bit of a silly coment IMO, the two cases are very very different. But you are right about the fans of any club that has been screwed by being a rich mans play thing, like Palace in the late 90s (Goldberg ) or Darlo at the moment (Renolds) and Pompey at the moment, and in a very different way Man unt/ Man city/ Chelsea who have lost thier sole.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
One of the local Pompey MPs raised this in Prime Minister's Question Time today

She asked the PM to get the HMRC to meet with the football club to find a way to get the tax paid without the club going out of business. She made the point that unlike normal companies, if Pompey do go down, their supporters (or customers) can't just switch to another football club like Southampton.

I am sick of hearing about this scummy club with its succession of dodgy owners ripping off their fans and local suppliers and getting away with it time after time after time.
I used to feel sorry for the Pompey fans (the proper ones) but no more because all they do is celebrate another "new start" each time they get the latest new takeover, without waking up to the fact that there is nobody who supports the club who has the money or the interest in taking over and sorting it out properly.
No Tony Bloom or Jack Walker, just that f***ing idiot Mr Pompey and Fred Dineage. So f*** em

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
So it's their fans fault that they don't have a Tony Bloom or Jack Walker waiting in the wings is it? Where would we be now without Bloom?

Oct 25, 2003
So it's their fans fault that they don't have a Tony Bloom or Jack Walker waiting in the wings is it? Where would we be now without Bloom?

are they doing ANYTHING about it though? this has been going on for ages

i'll answer your question with another question- where would we be if our fans didn't fight to save the club?

no-one at the club, from the owners to the fans, seems to CARE that much....either that or they're just burying their heads in the sand

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I will go back to what I said before - their fans have, since the winding-up petition was issued, CELEBRATED first the club's refusal to sell two players on the grounds that they couldn't afford to replace them, and then the refusal of two players to leave. Either transaction had the potential to settle the tax bill and get HMRC off their backs for another three months but no. The club don't want to pay their debts. Their MP' s don't want them to have to pay their debts. And the fans cheer because they don't pay their debts.

I've done two Fans United days but I won't be doing a third for Portsmouth!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I will go back to what I said before - their fans have, since the winding-up petition was issued, CELEBRATED first the club's refusal to sell two players on the grounds that they couldn't afford to replace them, and then the refusal of two players to leave. Either transaction had the potential to settle the tax bill and get HMRC off their backs for another three months but no. The club don't want to pay their debts. Their MP' s don't want them to have to pay their debts. And the fans cheer because they don't pay their debts.

Totally agree. HMRC want to make an example of them, after they (HMRC) were royally shafted by PFC last time.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

I wonder if I owed HMRC £30000 and had a Porsche on my driveway whether they'd let me just say "but I don't want to sell it"... hmmm.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I wonder if I owed HMRC £30000 and had a Porsche on my driveway whether they'd let me just say "but I don't want to sell it"... hmmm.

A couple of years ago they were in this same boat , they got away with paying the taxman and there creditors less than 1 penny in the pound, some of these small businesses have still not got over that.Pompey will never learn, let them start again at the bottom.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
A couple of years ago they were in this same boat , they got away with paying the taxman and there creditors less than 1 penny in the pound, some of these small businesses have still not got over that.Pompey will never learn, let them start again at the bottom.

Amen. f*** 'em.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here