Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Enjoy derbies against Bournemouth :wave:

Their fans are already talking about keeping the existing players and mounting a promotion push next season. If they keep half of those players, with the debts still in place, it'll be another travesty. Rocha, Halford, Ben Haim, Norris, Lawrence, Kitson.

What is the likelihood of those players wanting to hang around to play in the 3rd tier of football at Stevenage on a Tuesday night?

And let's not forget that occasionally, a relegated team fares just as badly in the new division and drops down again.... :D

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
What is the likelihood of those players wanting to hang around to play in the 3rd tier of football at Stevenage on a Tuesday night?

And let's not forget that occasionally, a relegated team fares just as badly in the new division and drops down again.... :D

They will not be there long liquidation beckons

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Well, I guess the right thing happened for football - if a few seasons too late.... From what I've read, they need a buyer in the next few weeks.

With a less sympathetic head on ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
:clap: :lolol: :wave: :wave: :wave: :D

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can a helpful Mod change the title of this thread to a more accurate "Lower League Pompey" please?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The page cannot be found:(

apologies - try again :rolleyes:

Chainrai May Return Again
By Jim Bonner
Updated Thursday, 26th April 2012

Portsmouth RSS Feed Former owner "will not allow" Pompey to go bust.

Balram Chainrai may well reluctantly own Portsmouth Football Club again after his representative at the football creditors' meeting said that he won't allow the club to be liquidated.

The news comes as unsurprising but the most disappointing thing is that Trevor Birch dismissed the fans' community buyout unless there was a significantly wealthy owner in the group.

The club stands to make a loss of £5 million next season and so if Chainrai does take charge of Pompey yet again, he will simply add that to the other £18-or-so million that he is supposedly already owed if someone else wanted to buy the club from his company, Portpin.

Having made plenty of false promises and taken money out of a club he has no interest in owning, it is claimed by UHY Hacker Young that Portpin intends to "finally pay the small creditors" but I have no reason to believe that.

There are more than a few Pompey fans that are willing to walk away from Pompey should Portpin come back and I can see why. In fact, I would not set foot in Fratton Park and hand my money over to Chainrai and would simply follow the team away from home.

Why? Because I don't believe Chainrai has any morals, he doesn't care about a football club he (allegedly) attempted to buy and sell on quickly (only to fail), he has already made money out of the club through player sales and Pompey simply cannot prosper under his ownership.

Under Portpin's ownership, Portsmouth FC isn't a football club, it's a hollow vessel for the people who are responsible for Pompey's death to make as much money as they can from a rotting carcass before it dies.

Unless there is a super rich "White Knight" willing to buy Pompey and willing to lose a vast amount of money on a League One football club then it will be stuck with Portpin until it dies.

Let's face it. The prospect of that happening is unlikely, the prospect of a fans' takeover is unlikely and therefore Pompey's long-term survival is unlikely.

Yes, the club may continue to operate under Chainrai's minimalist regime but until when? Who knows? The Football League may decide that Portsmouth cannot fulfil its fixtures next season at its AGM on June 2nd and the club may be forced to be liquidated anyway.

Therefore, I will be travelling to Nottingham on Saturday morning with the belief that there is more than a fair chance that this will be Portsmouth's last ever game before the end.

It did occur to me to wonder whether - if Chanrai tries to take over again - the FL will allow him to pass the "fit and proper persons test" - they'd be mad if they did surely!?

Last edited:

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Interestingly, the administrator has said that if HMRC win their legal challenge against Football Creditors Rule, he will immediately make redundant the highest-paid players.

There'll be a "window" between the initial ruling and any appeal in which he can do this - under FCR there's no advantage in doing that because they have to be paid in full whatever happens.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
It sounds like their last one will be away against Nottingham Forest tomorrow then.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
After reading that report and the many others of late, I see many comparisons with their succession of crooked owners and our very own Bill Archer.

The major difference of course, is that Brighton supporters were aware eventually what was going on and acted. Portsmouth fans on the other hand have' until too late, done very little.

I wonder why that is....?

Had Brighton been in the premiership with 20k fans, a decent (and grossly overpaid) team on the pitch, would the voice of our 'hardcore' supporters (? 4,000) have been heard...? Or would they have been shouted down by the 16k fairweather supporters...?

I sometimes think, that being in decline with dwindling support, gave the 'hardcore' a voice (not unlike Plymouth)and being in the lower reaches of football, was a blessing in disguise. Many football supporters want to see a 'big' club on its knees.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wonder if there's an element of "been here before" with pompey, where they've heard all the "the club is doomed" rhetoric so often in the recent past only to have the club "rescued" at the last minute that it just doesn't register as a real threat any more?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
apologies - try again :rolleyes:

Chainrai May Return Again
By Jim Bonner
Updated Thursday, 26th April 2012

Portsmouth RSS Feed Former owner "will not allow" Pompey to go bust.

Balram Chainrai may well reluctantly own Portsmouth Football Club again after his representative at the football creditors' meeting said that he won't allow the club to be liquidated.

The news comes as unsurprising but the most disappointing thing is that Trevor Birch dismissed the fans' community buyout unless there was a significantly wealthy owner in the group.

The club stands to make a loss of £5 million next season and so if Chainrai does take charge of Pompey yet again, he will simply add that to the other £18-or-so million that he is supposedly already owed if someone else wanted to buy the club from his company, Portpin.

Having made plenty of false promises and taken money out of a club he has no interest in owning, it is claimed by UHY Hacker Young that Portpin intends to "finally pay the small creditors" but I have no reason to believe that.

There are more than a few Pompey fans that are willing to walk away from Pompey should Portpin come back and I can see why. In fact, I would not set foot in Fratton Park and hand my money over to Chainrai and would simply follow the team away from home.

Why? Because I don't believe Chainrai has any morals, he doesn't care about a football club he (allegedly) attempted to buy and sell on quickly (only to fail), he has already made money out of the club through player sales and Pompey simply cannot prosper under his ownership.

Under Portpin's ownership, Portsmouth FC isn't a football club, it's a hollow vessel for the people who are responsible for Pompey's death to make as much money as they can from a rotting carcass before it dies.

Unless there is a super rich "White Knight" willing to buy Pompey and willing to lose a vast amount of money on a League One football club then it will be stuck with Portpin until it dies.

Let's face it. The prospect of that happening is unlikely, the prospect of a fans' takeover is unlikely and therefore Pompey's long-term survival is unlikely.

Yes, the club may continue to operate under Chainrai's minimalist regime but until when? Who knows? The Football League may decide that Portsmouth cannot fulfil its fixtures next season at its AGM on June 2nd and the club may be forced to be liquidated anyway.

Therefore, I will be travelling to Nottingham on Saturday morning with the belief that there is more than a fair chance that this will be Portsmouth's last ever game before the end.

It did occur to me to wonder whether - if Chanrai tries to take over again - the FL will allow him to pass the "fit and proper persons test" - they'd be mad if they did surely!?

Back in the dark days clubs were voting to have us expelled from the league for misconduct,can we not get enough clubs together and get pompey expelled,just a thought

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Chainrai is in a dilemma , put in another £6M to keep Pompey going another season and gamble on promotion which is unlikely as a new squad will have to be assembled or write off his £18M investment as a schoolboy error.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Check.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I think the problem the Football League have with their 'Fit & proper persons test' is that it concentrates mainly on whether the person taking over has the resources, (i.e. mainly cash). In the case of Chanrai he is a multi millionaire back in the far east. I would imagine that he found the monies he has already invested at Portsmouth down the back of his sofa. As such its difficult to see how the Football League could turn him down.

Of course if your talking about whether he is the right person to take control thats a different story and if, as it seems likely, he is only interested in getting his money back, (with interest no doubt), then I would agree that I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club. Trouble is the Football league don't see it that way.

Anyway why am i worried about Portsmouth. Horrible cheating little club with some real nasty supporters, so sod them all!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here