Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lost Pubs Of Sussex

Jul 7, 2003
Of those pubs mentioned by people for Worthing, at least four of those were not around for long:

Yates - was a carpet shop for more years than it was a pub
Eden - had been various shops beofe they turned it into a bar
Maple Leaf - horrible new build when the estate went up (flat roof pub - never good)
Cockle & Bacon - another that had been shops and restaurants before a fairly short lived life as a pub.

I can't see Weatherspoons keeping both their pubs on Chapel Road open for too long if business continues to drop (one, a former electricity showroom and the other was also a shop). The Egremont nearly went the other year and, talking to a landlord friend of mine, there are quite a few others that are really struggling and could go in the next year as breweries increase charges to tenants. Will be interesting to see how the Wheatsheaf gets on now it has been taken over by the owners of the George & Dragon in Tarring.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
i'm genuinely shocked at how many pubs have been listed on here
must of been a right load of piss heads before

The George Rotherfield
Harvest Moon Rotherfield
Bicycle Arms Rotherfield
Rose and Crown Crowborough
The Victoria Groombridge

The Admiral Benbow, Burwash.
The Kicking Donkey, Burwash Weald.
The Bell at Burwash.
The one in the square at Ticehurst (Duke of Wellington?)
The one on the A21 to the North of Hurst Green near the (closed) Little Chef - Cross Keys?
The Woolpack and the Bull at Hurst Green.
The one on Flimwell crossroads - Hare and Hounds?
The Rock Robin opposite Wadhurst Station (I acknowledge that the flats replacing it look nicer than the rather dour looking pub).
Cross Keys (formerly the Castle) just up the hill from the Rock Robin.
The one between Sandhurst and Newenden - The Harrier (might just be in Kent).
The bar at the Crest/Winston Manor Hotel Crowborough.
The Bridge near Stonegate Station.
The Etchygnham Arms, Etchingham.
1066 at Battle.

The more I type the more depressing it gets - I need a beer!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
absolute 'kin disgrace the Cricks closing. Ruined by the corporate greed of Punch Taverns.... At least The Albion in Fishersgate is still going strong.

Does The Albion do much trade and have many customers? I ran it for short while for a holding company in 1995 but they wouldnt let me buy or hold any stock so had very little trade. It has changed hands and been open and then shut and re opened many times since then as I am sure nobody can make a decent living there. The busy pub was The Kings Head just up the road now a cafe or was the last time I went past there.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The Race Hill Inn at the bottom of Elm Grove which was a proper landmark. Went in a couple of years before it finally closed as I used to live near it as a kid, and it was like stepping back in time to the 70's.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem is the companies like Enterprise and Punch put the rents at a a ridiculously high rate then the pubs closes as it loses money if this happens over a period of 5 years with a number of landlords or is closed for 2 years they can then apply for a change of use and get permission to demolish the pub and build flats. Permission is usually granted as the pubs are deemed no longer viable.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
i see the con club in newhaven has quite literally gone!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Preston Brewery Tap is no more. Well it is, but it appears to have been randomly rebranded as 'The Woof'. And judging by the state of the exterior this morning, first weekend in February, it may well have been taken over by crazy people. Either that or they've abandoned it as a bad idea. Tho to be fair there has been horrendous flooding round those parts these past few months. What gives?
IMG_20240204_101658.jpg

IMG_20240204_101804.jpg

IMG_20240204_101727.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Had a new door fitted this week and spent money on the interior so open for business.
Maybe time to tackle the slightly deranged-looking exterior then? There's a xmas tree recycling point half way up Preston Drove for starters, even if we are into February 🙂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here