Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lost Pubs Of Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Its getting to the point where a pub crawl will be impossible without a cab or a buspass.

I can remember there being 6 pubs in Worthing spread along about 200 yards.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Many a pub has vanished in Haywards Heath in recent times. Gone are The Sussex, The Ugly Duck, Liverpool Arms and Heyworth Hotel. Just recently in Lindfield the Stand Up shut down. Also missing is the Tiger in Lindfield that shut years ago.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Arundel had, I believe, 26 pubs in the early 80's and is now down to around 12... Three Crowns and South Strand in East Preston, long since passed over to the other side. Oh and the Fletchers at Angmering station.

Jul 15, 2011
Lewwwwwwes
Many a pub has vanished in Haywards Heath in recent times. Gone are The Sussex, The Ugly Duck, Liverpool Arms and Heyworth Hotel. Just recently in Lindfield the Stand Up shut down. Also missing is the Tiger in Lindfield that shut years ago.

The Stand Up Inn is shut for a spruce up, Dark Star pubs are expanding not closing.

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
Central Worthing

Olde England
Spanyard
Rhapsody Wine Bar
Victoria
The Ship
The Steyne
Marine

Ongoing process.

Very sad.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Loads in worthing, the clifton, litten tree, flappers, the rivoli, yates' eden etc and I'm sure there must be a few more :nono:

Spaniard, Marine, Cissbury, Buckingham, Victoria, White hart, Maple leaf, Ship, Half brick, Cockle and bacon, Wigmore, probably more.

When i started drinking there were 10 pubs between the Balmoral Cider bar and the Marine, now 4.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
In the last 15-20 years Pulborough has lost The Waterside Inn, The Five Bells, The Red Lion, The Rose & Crown (Frog & Nightgown for a while?), And one other bar in the centre, opposite Hennings Wine Merchant, can't remember the name of it.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Yep but sold by dark star. Another local operator taken it on

Dark star didnt own the Stand Up. They leased it off the former landlord, who put up the price of this lease which Dark Star decided they couldnt afford or wouldnt pay for. shame as they were doing really well there. Proper real ale pub. Hope it opens up again asap

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Glad to see the back of the homiest Chelsea boozer locally about 10 years ago, ladies and gentlemen, I give you........

The Maytree, in Hove (just)

Rose and Crown, Crowborough Whitehill, been gone around 20 years, converted to flats. Went there for live music, house band "Fat Max" were always good value, "English Rogues" were also regular performers. Landlord had a relaxed view as to the age of who he served and how long he served them for I recall.

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009
a few decent old pubs in bognor have gone recently making way for flats and a tesco express despite there being 3 shops down the same road. me and my mates dont bother with pubs anymore. it used to be the kids outside with a pack of crisps and a coke and now the kids run riot inside whilst adults are smoking and drinking in the pissing rain. whats this country come to? :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here