Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lost Pubs Of Sussex

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
sad to see any pub fall by the wayside,but your old local is a bitter pill to swallow,ladies & gentlemen, i give you "The Crown" in newhaven

sadly now a f***ing estate agents,what's the world coming to?

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
sad to see any pub fall by the wayside,but your old local is a bitter pill to swallow,ladies & gentlemen, i give you "The Crown" in newhaven

seems to have moved on - excuse the pun

Join CAMRA - campaign to save closing pubs

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
dropping like flies it would seem,
walked past my local last saturday evening, 9pm, one person in there, really feel for them.
i think 'modern life' has outpriced too many people from a few down their local.
must admit, i'm more of a couple of vino's at home person these days, just cheaper and easier...

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
So they have given permission for a tesco local to be just down the road from a massive bloody tesco mega store. That really pisses me off, the Windmill has gone I believe, pubs seem to be dropping at an alarming rate, a real pity!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Ironic... people used to go there to get " In a state " now they go for real estate

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
In shoreham alone in recent years The Surrey arms , morning star , green jackets and in Southwick The windmill , The pilot and in portslade The gardeners arms .

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
The maytree on the old shoreham rd,loved it from 80s onwards,went about 10 years ago

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Three Tuns, Steyning, shut around 1979/80

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Rivoli in Worthing skippered by the late Jim McSpirit was a legendary venue of hedonism, tobacco smuggling and hedonism, now flats.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Rivoli in Worthing skippered by the late Jim McSpirit was a legendary venue of hedonism, tobacco smuggling and hedonism, now flats.

yes, I said hedonism twice, that was a mistake but on recollection, I think that is in fact valid !

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
In shoreham alone in recent years The Surrey arms , morning star , green jackets and in Southwick The windmill , The pilot and in portslade The gardeners arms .

The Morning Star thats brought back memories rented one of the little house's adjoining it when first married but the main one demolished was the Kings Head great pub should have been kept and incorporated in the new development proper old pub remember Leo Sayer or Jerry as we knew him playing guitar and singing in there before he became a spoiled prat

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The Morning Star thats brought back memories rented one of the little house's adjoining it when first married but the main one demolished was the Kings Head great pub should have been kept and incorporated in the new development proper old pub remember Leo Sayer or Jerry as we knew him playing guitar and singing in there before he became a spoiled prat
Not forgetting The Hebe closing as well in the late 80s or even the nightclub Bashers (various other names as well ) where the ropetackle development now stands

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
This site shows a list of pubs, past and present, in the Brighton area. Amazing to see how many no longer exist.
Untitled 1

Last edited:

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Not forgetting The Hebe closing as well in the late 80s or even the nightclub Bashers (various other names as well ) where the ropetackle development now stands

Bashers!!! OMG that has brought memories back! It was a shithole though - nearly as bad as the The Junction at Poole Valley!!!

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
So they have given permission for a tesco local to be just down the road from a massive bloody tesco mega store. That really pisses me off, the Windmill has gone I believe, pubs seem to be dropping at an alarming rate, a real pity!!

Yes quite absurd isn't it? A Tesco express literally along the road from Tesco Holmbush and the Co-op?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its getting to the point where a pub crawl will be impossible without a cab or a buspass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here