Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Losing Macalister & Caicedo

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
People need to get real. Mac signed his new contract in October, when he looked like he'd be at best a squad member for Argentina and before they won the world cup.
There is clearly some kind of clause in his contract that allows certain teams to sign him for a fixed amount and all the evidence suggests this won't be as high as a lot of people on here are hoping.
Say what you like about Romano but it isn't just him reporting this- it's been an open secret for weeks, as has him going to Liverpool.
We clearly had a choice in October - either agree a contract with an exit clause or he doesn't sign a new one and we miss out on millions.

You can quote me on all this next week.
No inside knowledge. It's just fairly bleeding obvious.
‘People need to get real’

Then proceeds to make countless baseless claims throughout that nobody will ever be able to confirm or deny.

All we can go off is what we know, we have never offered any player a ‘exit clause’ or a ‘release clause for certain clubs’

I think it’s more a gentleman’s agreement, everyone wins, they sign a new contract to be on the money they deserve, we get a season of the best midfield we’ve ever seen to see what we can achieve, they get to leave in the summer if the price is right and the club has time to replace them.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
‘People need to get real’

Then proceeds to make countless baseless claims throughout that nobody will ever be able to confirm or deny.

All we can go off is what we know, we have never offered any player a ‘exit clause’ or a ‘release clause for certain clubs’

I think it’s more a gentleman’s agreement, everyone wins, they sign a new contract to be on the money they deserve, we get a season of the best midfield we’ve ever seen to see what we can achieve, they get to leave in the summer if the price is right and the club has time to replace them.
Gentleman's agreement or written in contract, it's the same thing (Though why even someone as sweet as Mac would agree simply to a verbal commitment is beyond me. Romantic though).

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Btw. There isn't a clause in Caicedo's contract
Screenshot_20230511-124505~2.png

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Btw. There isn't a clause in Caicedo's contract
You feels it's going to be VERY different with Moises. If he does go this summer it'll be an astronomical amount. This is contrary to my posts about the media noise concerning Mac but I suspect we intend to keep Moises unless the offer is to good to refuse something like £120 million- Rice might be the benchmark.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Btw. There isn't a clause in Caicedo's contractView attachment 161686
That's if you take what his agent says at face value...

I mean, I get WHY he might give 'Arsenal Informer' an 'exclusive', but it's a bit insulting when his client is still under contract to another club. At least keep the conversations under wraps, FFS!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Apologies if already covered but I can’t wade through loads of pages. Several reports saying there is a release clause for Mac Alister. Perhaps that was the only way he’d sign a new deal? Rumoured to be £55-60 million. I was always under the impression we didn’t do release clauses? Does anyone know?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Apologies if already covered but I can’t wade through loads of pages. Several reports saying there is a release clause for Mac Alister. Perhaps that was the only way he’d sign a new deal? Rumoured to be £55-60 million. I was always under the impression we didn’t do release clauses? Does anyone know?
No. And that includes the bedroom journalists on Twitter.

As for why would he sign a new contract otherwise: Why does any new player sign a new contract? In Mac’s case, he probably trebled his weekly wage from what he was on when he signed in Jan 2019 with the added benefit of financial security in the event that he sustained a career-affecting injury before his current deal expires.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have they gone yet?

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
From the man himself….

“I am very calm because I also have the possibility of staying at a club like Brighton who have been with me at all moments and where I have really enjoyed being.

“If I end up not leaving the club I will still be very happy there but I am conscious of the fact there will be possibilities and, if a good offer for the club and for me comes in, we will evaluate it.”

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
All I'll say on this is that I'd be surprised if there was a release clause. If there is one, I doubt anyone will know about it. There are a lot of hangers-on who claim they know all sorts of stuff about transfers (Romano is their grand fromage), but one thing we know about our club is that they're extremely cagey about anyone knowing details about how we operate.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All I'll say on this is that I'd be surprised if there was a release clause. If there is one, I doubt anyone will know about it. There are a lot of hangers-on who claim they know all sorts of stuff about transfers (Romano is their grand fromage), but one thing we know about our club is that they're extremely cagey about anyone knowing details about how we operate.
I also confidently predict that if/when he leaves us the fee will be 'undisclosed'!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Mac Allister’s agent would obviously know about the release clause, and this is how info like this gets into the public domain. I’m with you though in that I’d be surprised if there was one.

If there was a simple release clause, then surely Liverpool would have triggered it last Monday?

Jimmy Grimble

Mac Allister’s agent would obviously know about the release clause, and this is how info like this gets into the public domain. I’m with you though in that I’d be surprised if there was one.

If there was a simple release clause, then surely Liverpool would have triggered it last Monday?
I also think if there is a simple release clause, surely another club would activate it as well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No. And that includes the bedroom journalists on Twitter.

As for why would he sign a new contract otherwise: Why does any new player sign a new contract? In Mac’s case, he probably trebled his weekly wage from what he was on when he signed in Jan 2019 with the added benefit of financial security in the event that he sustained a career-affecting injury before his current deal expires.
Of course the only people who know will be Mac Allister himself, a few of his trusted camp and a few people at the club. It’s not in any of their interests to blab that to the likes of Romano.

Personally, I’d be surprised if there is a clause as we don’t normally do them. If there is then we missed a trick, as it was signed before he became a World Cup winner, which has probably added £10 million to his value. It’s unlike Tony to lose a bet on something like that

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Release clauses are all the rage nowadays. My friend wanted his girlfriend to sign one saying that if she ever refused to give him a blow job he could walk away from the relationship …

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Of course the only people who know will be Mac Allister himself, a few of his trusted camp and a few people at the club. It’s not in any of their interests to blab that to the likes of Romano.

Personally, I’d be surprised if there is a clause as we don’t normally do them. If there is then we missed a trick, as it was signed before he became a World Cup winner, which has probably added £10 million to his value. It’s unlike Tony to lose a bet on something like that
I’m afraid it’s very much in the interest of the player’s agent to disclose the release clause. The more clubs that know, the more clubs will be trying to outbid each other in terms of wages offered.

I still don’t think there is one though. If there was, it’d have been triggered already.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I’m afraid it’s very much in the interest of the player’s agent to disclose the release clause. The more clubs that know, the more clubs will be trying to outbid each other in terms of wages offered.

I still don’t think there is one though. If there was, it’d have been triggered already.
Can a release clause be triggered before the transfer window officially opens?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Maybe. But if I put that in a contract it would come with water tight non disclosure and telling the likes of Fab would put the agent in legal trouble.

Having an easily disclosed, low ball release clause simply isn’t the Albion’s style.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Maybe. But if I put that in a contract it would come with water tight non disclosure and telling the likes of Fab would put the agent in legal trouble.

Having an easily disclosed, low ball release clause simply isn’t the Albion’s style.
I'd put in a clause to the effect that any disclosure to Romano would result in his (Romano's) goolies being dropped in a deep fat fryer.
That it's probably not enforceable wouldn't stop me.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Tony doesn't do release clauses. That's on record. He is a billionaire who believes that release clauses give away control - and he wants to totally have that control.

Yes, someone might make things up about a release clause on twitter.

But it is almost certain that there won't be one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here