[Albion] Losing Macalister & Caicedo

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why do people not believe both Mac and Moises have a form of a release clause?
Because we don’t do them. Like we don’t take players on loan to develop them for their parent clubs 🙄

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
They might do but you’re not going to convince a chairman/chief executive that has said multiple times that we don’t do them to suddenly introduce them for 2 key players unless the release clause fee is very high. No way has a £50-60m release clause been inserted into Mac contract (which is was Fab is insinuating) if we’ve previously sold players like Cucurella for £62m without one. It’s only happening if it’s more like £80m+

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
They might do but you’re not going to convince a chairman/chief executive that has said multiple times that we don’t do them to suddenly introduce them for 2 key players unless the release clause fee is very high. No way has a £50-60m release clause been inserted into Mac contract (which is was Fab is insinuating) if we’ve previously sold players like Cucurella for £62m without one.
What if Alexis said I’m not signing a new deal then and my contract is expiring 2023, or 2024 if you take an option so I’ll just walk away cheaply / free.

Tony Bloom isn’t completely stupid

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's possible and only a select handful knows about his contract.

But the following blog points out that transfers due to release clauses have reportedly happened only a handful of times between PL clubs. And not recently and not for big amounts. Demba Ba and Joe Allen are the cited examples. It's possible, but seems unlikely.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
People need to get real. Mac signed his new contract in October, when he looked like he'd be at best a squad member for Argentina and before they won the world cup.
There is clearly some kind of clause in his contract that allows certain teams to sign him for a fixed amount and all the evidence suggests this won't be as high as a lot of people on here are hoping.
Say what you like about Romano but it isn't just him reporting this- it's been an open secret for weeks, as has him going to Liverpool.
We clearly had a choice in October - either agree a contract with an exit clause or he doesn't sign a new one and we miss out on millions.

You can quote me on all this next week.
No inside knowledge. It's just fairly bleeding obvious.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
What if Alexis said I’m not signing a new deal then and my contract is expiring 2023, or 2024 if you take an option so I’ll just walk away cheaply / free.

Tony Bloom isn’t completely stupid
Why wound Alexis have been so bullish at that point and not wanted to sign a new deal that doesn’t have a low release clause? That is pre World Cup, and pre this brilliant season when there was little interest from big clubs. Why would he have threatened to walk away from a club that he loves at a point where he has no idea of future interest? That just seems like a clashing point that wouldn’t have been necessary.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Why wound Alexis have been so bullish at that point and not wanted to sign a new deal that doesn’t have a low release clause? That is pre World Cup, and pre this brilliant season when there was little interest from big clubs. Why would he have threatened to walk away from a club that he loves at a point where he has no idea of future interest? That just seems like a clashing point that wouldn’t have been necessary.
It's not a clashing point to say 'I've loved my time here but I'll be ready for a new challenge next season'.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Release clauses give the buying club all the power in a negotiation. This is why we do not do them and Paul Barber has explicitly said so.

As club we do not stand in the way of players or managers progressing their careers, release clauses are not necessary. The club has a value for all the players, if the value is met a deal can be done. Lowballers need not apply.

I am sure that Mac Alister's reps have spoken to Liverpool but those talks count for nothing until Liverpool formally make an offer to the Albion and we consider it. All this guff regarding the fee from FR is simply that, guff, unless Tony or Paul have given him the info himself (they have not). Its PR designed to add pressure to the negotiations. Alexis is on a four year deal, we have the leverage.

A deal will get done when we are happy with it and not before, whether it is at £60m or £70m, it will be one we are happy to accept.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
People need to get real. Mac signed his new contract in October, when he looked like he'd be at best a squad member for Argentina and before they won the world cup.
There is clearly some kind of clause in his contract that allows certain teams to sign him for a fixed amount and all the evidence suggests this won't be as high as a lot of people on here are hoping.
Say what you like about Romano but it isn't just him reporting this- it's been an open secret for weeks, as has him going to Liverpool.
We clearly had a choice in October - either agree a contract with an exit clause or he doesn't sign a new one and we miss out on millions.

You can quote me on all this next week.
No inside knowledge. It's just fairly bleeding obvious.
I’m not saying that Mac isn’t going up leave, and I’m not saying there isn’t a release clause in the contract which Fab knows the existence of, but it makes no sense for that release clause to have been agreed at the low price being suggested.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Release clauses give the buying club all the power in a negotiation. This is why we do not do them and Paul Barber has explicitly said so.

As club we do not stand in the way of players or managers progressing their careers, release clauses are not necessary. The club has a value for all the players, if the value is met a deal can be done. Lowballers need not apply.

I am sure that Mac Alister's reps have spoken to Liverpool but those talks count for nothing until Liverpool formally make an offer to the Albion and we consider it. All this guff regarding the fee from FR is simply that, guff, unless Tony or Paul have given him the info himself (they have not). Its PR designed to add pressure to the negotiations. Alexis is on a four year deal, we have the leverage.

A deal will get done when we are happy with it and not before, whether it is at £60m or £70m, it will be one we are happy to accept.
And has reported multiple times, it isn't a minimum release clause. There's caveats that Liverpool are patently happy to meet.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Really? He was having a fantastic end of last and early start to the season as well, there was some interest reported last summer.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I’m not saying that Mac isn’t going up leave, and I’m not saying there isn’t a release clause in the contract which Fab knows the existence of, but it makes no sense for that release clause to have been agreed at the low price being suggested.
It does if the other option is he either leaves on a free or for cheaper a la Biss.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Really? He was having a fantastic end of last and early start to the season as well, there was some interest reported last summer.
Not anything remotely serious that it involved bids. Or reported approaches to the player.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We have no idea what approaches were made..quite possible his Dad, he really doesn't seem shy, had already spoken to Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle etc.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not anything remotely serious that it involved bids. Or reported approaches to the player.
Why are we selling so soon after a new deal then? And why not for more money? Why not drag it out to bring in other bidders to drive up the price?

Why not stand up and say he only just signed a deal, we don’t want to sell like we did Caicedo.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Why are we selling so soon after a new deal then? And why not for more money? Why not drag it out to bring in other bidders to drive up the price?

Why not stand up and say he only just signed a deal, we don’t want to sell like we did Caicedo.
The elephant in the room.
If there was no clause we'd be absolutely selling him to the highest bidder.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

There are several good reasons. But mainly it goes to the heart of our business model. Mac Allister is one of the most high-profile footballers in South America. His family is hugely well connected. We need the South American wonder kids to WANT to come to Brighton. We're not going to muck him around!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Generally we don't.

However Mac Allister and, more notably, Caicedo had very little to gain in signing extended contracts with us when they did as, typically, this would have weakened their hands in terms of getting the big moves they want.

So, I'm struggling to believe there isn't some sort of "help you leave" sweetener in their contracts. Maybe not a traditional "£X and you can leave" release clause, but something that means, from their side, they won't be trapped if a big club offer comes along.

boik

It feels like we have some sort of agreement with AM and we're not the sort of club to go back on a agreement. The whole philosophy of the club is to attract the best up and coming players and a big part of that is the progression path. Not gonna be popular with youngsters if we're seen to be holding out for unreasoanble fees from clubs they have no interest in joining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports