Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loanee left back

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nothing to do with luck in my opinion. You have to plan for things like this happening.

For me, the club seem to have gone back to their former loan policy, noticeably present under Poyet, where only loan players who the manager believed would challenge the regular player in the position were signed. This is different to last years policy of sign anyone with a pulse; Best, Halford etc.

I'm sure we would have had a preferred option, like Wilson was our preferred option. We held out for him, and he was available and able to sign. There are plenty of untried left-backs out there, but I doubt the club would have wanted to sign a youngster who will then just become cover. We held out for our prime target, I believe to be the West Brom player, they weren't prepared to lose him, we miss out.

I think this is the only blemish on what has so far been a fantastic season for the club. I love Calderon, but the prospect of him playing at left-back, even for just a few games, makes me feel uneasy. We should have signed someone, plain and simply.

Rearange these words the head on nail the hit.

Our options now are play somebody else out of position, Chicksen or bring in a free agent
For all the good he has done Brum goal came from LR being caught out of position and to central a left back would have been wider and possibly attacked the crosser before he shot at goal.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'd play Goodson there, I reckon he's good enough.

Goldson is RIGHT footed and has occasionally played at RIGHT BACK so would bring the same advantages/disadvantages as Calderon but with markedly less experience.
Our next best options are Chicksen or the DS left back (Hunt?).

All in all I'd stick with Calde and to specifically counter the threat of Tom Ince v Derby bring Crofts in for Murphy and ask Stephens to play wider to cover the full back. Depends on fitness of course.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Rearange these words the head on nail the hit.

Our options now are play somebody else out of position, Chicksen or bring in a free agent
For all the good he has done Brum goal came from LR being caught out of position and to central a left back would have been wider and possibly attacked the crosser before he shot at goal.

Hmmm hindsight is a wonderful thing is it not BG? I think all that anyone can do is what they think is best at the time, i. e. as the club saw it, take the risk and wait until the January window, in the hope that Rosenior didn't get injured.

Ok that approach didn't pan out, but that's life.

On a seperate topic, I hope you caught the 25 ok on Saturday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The suggestion posted on the other thread about our options of Kevin Constant released by Trabzonspor so a free agent that could sign and play looks interesting by wiki write up. He is 28 and has a lot of experience.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Goldson is RIGHT footed and has occasionally played at RIGHT BACK so would bring the same advantages/disadvantages as Calderon but with markedly less experience.
Our next best options are Chicksen or the DS left back (Hunt?).

All in all I'd stick with Calde and to specifically counter the threat of Tom Ince v Derby bring Crofts in for Murphy and ask Stephens to play wider to cover the full back. Depends on fitness of course.

We have nio choice but to stick with him, to me, Goldson or Chicksen, or anyone else we have, just isn't an option.

As others have said, although Calde isn't a natural left footer, at least he has played in the position before.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Utter rubbish again, but hardly surprising seeing as you don't actually understand Liam Rosenior has been a full back for most of his career.

He comes alongside Dunk to cover for Greer who is out of position after ushering one of their players away from goal. Dunk is then facing up the player with the ball and Rosenior covering the other central player, had Rosenior not moved to a central position he would have been leaving Dunk to effectively mark 2 players. The ball is then lifted over Rosenior and into the wingers path, someone else should have made an effort to get back. Rosenior sees the danger and tries to get back an actually gets something on the ball which is what causes Stockdale to readjust at the last moment. The ball then falls to the player who Rosenior was marking at the start of the move for a free header because no-one else had bothered to mark him. I don't think you can blame Rosenior as he was the one who was trying to do the work of at least 2 players during that attack, and did more to try to prevent the goal than most other players on the pitch at that time.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
The suggestion posted on the other thread about our options of Kevin Constant released by Trabzonspor so a free agent that could sign and play looks interesting by wiki write up. He is 28 and has a lot of experience.

He wasn't released during a transfer window so therefore cannot join a new side until the January transfer window.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You do talk some rubbish one of the midfielders should have dropped into help Dunk if he was exposed, which he wasnt, and LR should have gone wider very simple defensive operation. Yes LR has played as full back most of his career mostly at right back contrary to what many on here believe and was caught out which a natural left back possibly wouldnt have been.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Utter rubbish again, but hardly surprising seeing as you don't actually understand Liam Rosenior has been a full back for most of his career.

He comes alongside Dunk to cover for Greer who is out of position after ushering one of their players away from goal. Dunk is then facing up the player with the ball and Rosenior covering the other central player, had Rosenior not moved to a central position he would have been leaving Dunk to effectively mark 2 players. The ball is then lifted over Rosenior and into the wingers path, someone else should have made an effort to get back. Rosenior sees the danger and tries to get back an actually gets something on the ball which is what causes Stockdale to readjust at the last moment. The ball then falls to the player who Rosenior was marking at the start of the move for a free header because no-one else had bothered to mark him. I don't think you can blame Rosenior as he was the one who was trying to do the work of at least 2 players during that attack, and did more to try to prevent the goal than most other players on the pitch at that time.

I think that goal was as much down to bad luck as bad defending.

Perhaps there is also a case for blaming Stockdale. When he blocked the initial shot, rather than pushing it to one side, he pushed it out, straight on to the head of the Birmingham player whio had the simple task of directing the ball into the unguarded net.

Just one of those things that happen occasionally I'm afraid.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
I think that goal was as much down to bad luck as bad defending.

Perhaps there is also a case for blaming Stockdale. When he blocked the initial shot, rather than pushing it to one side, he pushed it out, straight on to the head of the Birmingham player whio had the simple task of directing the ball into the unguarded net.

Just one of those things that happen occasionally I'm afraid.

I think it was unfortunate rather than bad defending, the slight deflection off of Rosenior meant that Stockdale had to adjust quickly so that more than likely contributed to him pushing it back into play rather than around the post or away from goal.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Wasnt he released in October or is that counted as a loan window not recognised by FIFA and not a transfer window.

FIFA don't recognise the loan window, hence why it's going after this season, it pretty much only exists in England anyway. To be a free agent and able to sign for someone outside of the transfer window you need to have left a club by the time the previous transfer window closes. In the case of Kevin Constant he'd need to have left Trabzonspor before the Summer window closed.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
We have nio choice but to stick with him, to me, Goldson or Chicksen, or anyone else we have, just isn't an option.

As others have said, although Calde isn't a natural left footer, at least he has played in the position before.

Agreed. It's how we support and cover him if and when he is targeted. For me the natural option is to push Stephens wider and ideally use Crofts (who is more mobile than Ince) to give us extra cover inside. It means sacrificing some width but we still have pace aplenty going forward, especially on the counter attack

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Dudgeon released by Hull last summer, any better than Chicksen? Not particularly inspiring that he hasn't found a club yet. Hoping Rosenior's injury is 3-4 weeks max.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
You do talk some rubbish one of the midfielders should have dropped into help Dunk if he was exposed, which he wasnt, and LR should have gone wider very simple defensive operation. Yes LR has played as full back most of his career mostly at right back contrary to what many on here believe and was caught out which a natural left back possibly wouldnt have been.

You need to watch the replay again, Rosenior was closer to the player than any of the central midfielders, it would have left Dunk trying to cover two players on the edge of the area one with the ball and one unmarked.

What should happen when the defence shifts across is the winger fills into the full back position but they were too far behind play, Rosenior was going to leave a player exposed no matter what he did and he went to the player that was a bigger threat at that moment and still managed to get across and get something on the shot that Stockdale saved.

Rosenior has played at left back more than enough times in the Premier League to be a competent championship defender, but because you've had a bee in your bonnet since Bong got injured about signing a new left back you won't give Rosenior any credit at all and will find the tiniest little thing to pull him up on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just talking to my son we both agreed that the answer other than Ashley Cole is to play Crofts left midfield covering either Calderon or Chicksen and go 4-5-1 at Derby with 2 or 3 strikers on the bench. Apart from our left back problems Derby are very strong in midfield and up front. For our home game with Charlton we should be ok for either at left back and attack them.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Just talking to my son we both agreed that the answer other than Ashley Cole is to play Crofts left midfield covering either Calderon or Chicksen and go 4-5-1 at Derby with 2 or 3 strikers on the bench. Apart from our left back problems Derby are very strong in midfield and up front. For our home game with Charlton we should be ok for either at left back and attack them.

Crofts is also right footed no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here