Loanee left back

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo;717079 Rosenior has played at left back more than enough times in the Premier League to be a competent championship defender said:
That is far from the truth the reason I wanted a left back brought in was because he is of more use to us as a right midfield and exactly what happened yesterday. I have nothing against him and consider him to gave been one of our best players overall this season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What has Adam Chicksen done to everyone on here? The one time I watched him play, it was when Ward got injured very early against Blackpool. He kept Tom Ince quiet all game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What has Adam Chicksen done to everyone on here? The one time I watched him play, it was when Ward got injured very early against Blackpool. He kept Tom Ince quiet all game.

I think that with midfield cover he would be a better option than Calderon but CH doesnt appear to agree.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As posted on the Liam thread I think this has come across wrong as I am not sayjng Liam was totally to blame for their goal just that he was caught out of position that an orthodox left back may not have been and perhaps slightly more culpable than DS who some want to blame.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nothing to do with luck in my opinion. You have to plan for things like this happening.

For me, the club seem to have gone back to their former loan policy, noticeably present under Poyet, where only loan players who the manager believed would challenge the regular player in the position were signed. This is different to last years policy of sign anyone with a pulse; Best, Halford etc.

I'm sure we would have had a preferred option, like Wilson was our preferred option. We held out for him, and he was available and able to sign. There are plenty of untried left-backs out there, but I doubt the club would have wanted to sign a youngster who will then just become cover. We held out for our prime target, I believe to be the West Brom player, they weren't prepared to lose him, we miss out.

I think this is the only blemish on what has so far been a fantastic season for the club. I love Calderon, but the prospect of him playing at left-back, even for just a few games, makes me feel uneasy. We should have signed someone, plain and simply.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but it's still very bad luck whichever way you look at it - 20 mins into the first game after the window :facepalm:

Although if you're saying bring someone in on loan who is just back up but not good enough to challenge for the first team position then we've already got that - Chicksen. I think the WBA lad deal was dead a long time ago - I imagine we were after others but weren't successful...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just watched their goal again and stopped it as the player went to shoot 1 Brum player was just behind Greer a yard into the box Bruno was 5yds nearer the goal in the line from Brum player to goal Dunk wss a yard from the penalty spot marking no body LR was 4 yds to thd left of him, the player striking the ball is 2 yds into the box and the evental goal scorer was 1 yd from the line in the D a yard away was Kayal. So Bruno Dunk and Liam all marking or attacking nobody Kayal then ran towards the goal leaving Toral completely unmarked. So yes a lot of errors from many players

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just watched their goal again and stopped it as the player went to shoot 1 Brum player was just behind Greer a yard into the box Bruno was 5yds nearer the goal in the line from Brum player to goal Dunk wss a yard from the penalty spot marking no body LR was 4 yds to thd left of him, the player striking the ball is 2 yds into the box and the evental goal scorer was 1 yd from the line in the D a yard away was Kayal. So Bruno Dunk and Liam all marking or attacking nobody Kayal then ran towards the goal leaving Toral completely unmarked. So yes a lot of errors from many players
Jeez if only football was as black and white as you make it! They were all running back covering as there was a quick break from Brum and it all happened very quickly. If the player who initially passes it beats his man (which he did) the others feel they have to quickly cover their team mate. Yes maybe someone should have had the fella that scored as he was their only player particularly close but it was incredibly lucky. Have seen us concede far worse goals this season and less of an analysis than you're giving this one on here...

They had a man over so as matey above told you Rosenior was originally marking he scorer and had to go over to the man who shot. Rosenior isn't to blame - the only possible blame you could give him was not calling March to track back but as none of us know whether he did or not we'll never know. If you were going to nitpick you'd say March should've been back covering and GG shouldn't have followed the man up the field who flicked it initially. And one of the CMs should be back in one of them...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

As I tried to tell you on the other thread, you need to watch the move from far earlier than the shot. Bruno and Greer are advanced and a great touch from Brock-Madsen sees them both having to run back to recover position. The moment that Liam sees this flick he realises that Dunk is exposed and runs towards the centre to cover the goal. This was the right thing to do as, although it leaves the winger in more space, this is preferable to leaving the two strikers to double up on Dunk. When the lifted ball is played to the winger Rosenior dives over to cover the shot and almost gets there. The save deflects the ball to Toral. The only player who perhaps should have picked him up is Kayal who arrived in the box, but went towards the ball not the free man.

In short, a nice flick and a good cross, a good save and a deflection to virtually the only place in the box where Toral had a chance. He took it well.
The player who is most alert to the danger and does everything right in a difficult situation is... you guessed it... Rosenior.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We shall have to agree to disagree as I think Liam could have done better and Dunk and Kayal certainly should have. Greer should have been aware of the man behind him and Bruno finished up in no mans land. So all in all a bad or disappointing goal to give away.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agreed. It's how we support and cover him if and when he is targeted. For me the natural option is to push Stephens wider and ideally use Crofts (who is more mobile than Ince) to give us extra cover inside. It means sacrificing some width but we still have pace aplenty going forward, especially on the counter attack

That sounds like a plan. Sacrificing width shouldn't be a proble in away games anyway, as we often sacrifice a winger and play with an extra midfielder.

I'm sure we will be looking to keep it tight and won't be going for all out attack at Derby for instance!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Hmmm there must be a reason, and let's face it Hughton isn't the only Albion manager in recent years seemingly not to rate Chicksen, Oscar Garcia and Sami Hyypia didn't either.

I have seen him a few times, and for me he seems to be too lightweight, ansd doesn't have the presence necessary to be a Championship defender. In short, if he was going to succeed at the Albion, he would have done it by now.

No, the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Calde is the only sensible alternative that we have.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Jeez if only football was as black and white as you make it! They were all running back covering as there was a quick break from Brum and it all happened very quickly. If the player who initially passes it beats his man (which he did) the others feel they have to quickly cover their team mate. Yes maybe someone should have had the fella that scored as he was their only player particularly close but it was incredibly lucky. Have seen us concede far worse goals this season and less of an analysis than you're giving this one on here...

They had a man over so as matey above told you Rosenior was originally marking he scorer and had to go over to the man who shot. Rosenior isn't to blame - the only possible blame you could give him was not calling March to track back but as none of us know whether he did or not we'll never know. If you were going to nitpick you'd say March should've been back covering and GG shouldn't have followed the man up the field who flicked it initially. And one of the CMs should be back in one of them...

Yep, as l said on another thread, it's a wonderful thing hindsight. If only we all had it, there wouldn't be any 'errors' at all.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Loanee left back.

1). We haven't got one.
2). We can't get one until January.

So what are we waffling about on this thread?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We can sign one who is a free agent and play him against Charlton. If anybody knows of such a person.

Any new signing needs to be integrated into our system first and foremost, and it is far too late to do that for next Saturday.

As I mentioned earlier, Calde will be absolutely fine for the Charlton game, although for Derby and Middlesboro he will be tested more.

I'm confident he will come through fine, but I don't see that we have too much option anyway.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Any new signing needs to be integrated into our system first and foremost, and it is far too late to do that for next Saturday.

As I mentioned earlier, Calde will be absolutely fine for the Charlton game, although for Derby and Middlesboro he will be tested more.

I'm confident he will come through fine, but I don't see that we have too much option anyway.

We have two on the staff just a matter of registering them and digging their boots out Nathan Jones and Paul Watson CH was a full back but a little too old I would think at 57.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports