Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loanee left back

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We have two on the staff just a matter of registering them and digging their boots out Nathan Jones and Paul Watson CH was a full back but a little too old I would think at 57.

Although Watto played pretty much exclusively on the right for us.

But come to that why don't we bring Steve Gatting back, he was always pretty versatile, could fill anywhere in the back four.

N.B ... Note to self, why am l having this ridiculous conversation?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We have two on the staff just a matter of registering them and digging their boots out Nathan Jones and Paul Watson CH was a full back but a little too old I would think at 57.

To be honest, CH is probably a more realistic shout than Cashley Cole. We've got Calde. Failing that, we've got Chicksen. Live with it - CH will have to.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
To be honest, CH is probably a more realistic shout than Cashley Cole. We've got Calde. Failing that, we've got Chicksen. Live with it - CH will have to.

Spot on. Calde out of position is not ideal, but remember its Calde. He's not as quick as Liam, or as strong as Bong, but he was voted our player of the season last year playing out of position. He is a team man who will relish the opportunity to start and always gives absolutely everything he has in whatever role he is asked to play for this club, on or off the pitch. He may struggle against a quick winger, but he will struggle for all he is worth and give no quarter. The way this season is going, with so many players coming in and doing their bit when needed, it seems that the 'together' ethic is written through this squad like a stick of rock and its my guess that Inigo Calderon is an important part of this.

Statistically he is also far more likely to chip in a goal than LR or GB.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think that one of the reasons for CH's success is that he has simplified the Albion playing system compared to Poyet and Garcia. The defence knows what it is doing. The advantage of the 4-4-2 with conventional players it is easy to play. The disadvantage it is easier to counter.

Playing inverted full back is much more complicated: https://www.reddit.com/r/SoccerNoobs/comments/3g9xc6/what_who_is_a_false_9_and_what_is_an_inverted/

It seems that WBA must be adopting this system ??? To my mind when the inverted full back passes out of defence he is much more (80%) likely to pass inside rather than down the line. This is OK if there are players capable of running into space &/or collecting the ball on the half turn or with their back to goal in the crowded centre of the pitch..

Inverted full backs are better at stopping inverted wingers like Tom Ince but less good at stopping ordinary overlapping full backs like Christie (as Hull found out). Why Reading played Blackman against Rosenoir ignored this.

I thought that when Calderón replaced the unfortunate Rosenoir, our vulnerability evaporated and then I was confident that we would not lose against Birmingham.

Open question: which of our mifielders/forwards are best at collecting the ball on the half turn. I always favoured the little used partnership of Bobby Zamora and Hemed, because Bobby Z was better on the half turn than Baldock (arguable).

Problems are meant to be resolved.

Chicksen is tenacious, good against some wingers, poor at interceptions.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Inverted full backs. I meant to put this link in: http://www.coachingsoccertactics.com/playing-with-inverted-full-backs/

Not that I can actually understand it. I think the idea is the right footed left back plays a diagonal pass forward inside to a midfielder.

Article-24-Bayern-Movement-v-Paderborn7.jpg

I would bring back an inverted midfielder/winger to or use a defender to cut out the gap when the inverted winger cuts in to try and shoot. Or try and shepherd him to go on the outside and try and block the cross against the winger's weaker foot.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Our best bet is 4.5 weeks of snow until January 1st, when we can sign another left back. That's unless we can find a free agent available.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Clearly, we're reliant upon Calde for this key run of games. Against Birmingham he looked fine, but then Brum weren't expecting HIM at LB, so they wouldn't have planned to exploit his lack of pace. Charlton will of course see this and try to target him. Derby, QPR & Boro all have a lot of pace available, so what we must do is avoid leaving him exposed against pace. If it means sacrificing one winger's attacking intent to cover on that side, then so be it. We have plenty of wing options now, so we simply focus more of our forward intent in the other side, and through the middle.

Van La Parra, being a natural left footer could be the right person for this role, but I guess it will all depend on how quickly he adapts to our style, how good he is in defensive positions and how well he and others look in training.

I trust Chris Hughton to get it right.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Seeing as the next match is at home to Charlton I think Chicksen should be given a chance. I don't think he's been awful when he has played, and the high tempo style we now have would probably suit his pace.

We have 6 games before the transfer window opens and a 7th on New Years Day. Calde can probably cope, but he is old and opposing teams will target him.

I doubt it will happen as current and previous managers don't seem to rate young Adam that highly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seeing as the next match is at home to Charlton I think Chicksen should be given a chance. I don't think he's been awful when he has played, and the high tempo style we now have would probably suit his pace.

We have 6 games before the transfer window opens and a 7th on New Years Day. Calde can probably cope, but he is old and opposing teams will target him.

I doubt it will happen as current and previous managers don't seem to rate young Adam that highly.

I disagree - I think he HAS been poor when he's played. Looks like a lost little boy out there.

If you think the opposition wil 'target' the dependable and vastly experienced Inigo Calderon, do you not think they'd do the very same to the untried, not match fit, Chicksen?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Calde will be fine. Obviously as it's not his natural side the onus is on both whoever plays in front of him and the left sided centre back to be even more aware than usual.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I have 100% trust that Calde can cover for a month or so. What he lacks in pace, he makes up for in experience, and just as importantly, a love and will to win for the club.

We'll be ok!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't think Calderon or Chicksen are good enough. Big worry especially against Derby.

That is true but we do not have many options. I think that against Derby we will play 4-5-1 and possibly put Ince and or Holla or even possibly Crofts in midfield. I think Holla could be the man to play left midfield to support Calderon. If you add 2 of those 3 it means leaving out either Murphy or March as well as a striker. Although we could have the option on the bench if it is needed to get back a goal.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
That is true but we do not have many options. I think that against Derby we will play 4-5-1 and possibly put Ince and or Holla or even possibly Crofts in midfield. I think Holla could be the man to play left midfield to support Calderon. If you add 2 of those 3 it means leaving out either Murphy or March as well as a striker. Although we could have the option on the bench if it is needed to get back a goal.

Why would we do that ?... 442 is working like a dream.

We can play on the counter attack even more effective away from home with Wilson in the line up, stick with whats been working i say.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Do that and Derby will be all over us like a rash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here