Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Looking at the gilts you'd expect us to have a base rate of 3.25-3.75% by this time next month

From what I saw earlier today, the expectation was 0.5% via an emergency meeting within the next 2 weeks (taking us to 2.75% already) and then a whopping 1% at least in their Nov meeting (to 3.75% or more). Question will be whether the BoE thinks they can wait until that Nov meeting to make the bigger move, which will depend a lot on how the markets react to a smaller emergency move now.

Edit: I see the markets are now assuming a 0.75% increase *before the end of this week* and that is what is driving the recovery of the pound so far today. If that doesn't happen, or does happen but is weaker, the pound will start to drop again. But some pundits are suggesting the BoE will be reluctant to intervene because of prior history of what can go wrong if they don't get it right (Black Wednesday). problem is, not acting is an act in itself and will also result in a reaction from the markets. Something will need to give, only question is whether it will break or bend when it does.

This prediction for the value of sterling is unsettling given the impact it will have on inflation and therefore BoE rates.

[tweet]1574368707069022212[/tweet]

Think we're headed for a tug-of-war between the BoE and their "must keep inflation down" mantra and the government with their new "let's burn money to create growth" mantra. Don't think anyone in the UK comes out of that a winner.

Edit to add this tweet that I saw after writing the above:

[tweet]1574324351150837760[/tweet]

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Just reading an article in the Guardian about Kwarteng's "schoolboy errors." I think to put it down to a lapse of judgement is far too kind. The guy has a PHD in economic history. Surely, he knew the consequences of his actions. Rishi outlined the consequences last month. It seems to me to be a deliberate move designed to enrich his chums, including his former employer.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
No doubt the wing of the Tory party currently in control has been itching to get into power for decades, and it shows. Would be nice if they could allow for a degree of pragmatism and awareness though.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but if tax cuts are given to the lower paid they will spend the money and it will come back into the economy, if given to the wealthy they will just save it and it won’t come back into the economy. Am I missing something here?

No, but your ideas are contrary to Conservative Party policy.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but if tax cuts are given to the lower paid they will spend the money and it will come back into the economy, if given to the wealthy they will just save it and it won’t come back into the economy. Am I missing something here?

This has been mentioned. I think most agree that the government aren't acting logically if their aim is to grow the economy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes, those on higher income spend money too, while any saved goes back into the economy somewhere as investment. there's many a counter arguement and details missing, like how much any group pay back debt.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
No - that's it. Best give the cuts to those who need to spend the money on food etc. not to those who just boost their savings and investments.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Letters already being sent to 1922 Committee by Tory MPs regarding this cabinet.
You couldnt make it up

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
yes, those on higher income spend money too, while any saved goes back into the economy somewhere as investment. there's many a counter arguement and details missing, like how much any group pay back debt.

Certainly not looking for an argument. Ten years ago before I sold my shares in a company I was paying 50% income tax and had a massively negative tax code. If I had received a windfall tax reduction, I would’ve probably spent it on a foreign holiday. Just think that in the current economic climate more help should be given to the lower paid workers who desperately need it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As someone who works for a US company that only sells in USD, going to be a bumpy ride for my customers this week / months I think. And I know for sure ‘we’ won’t be subsiding the currency drop

I suggest you direct them in [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] 's way - he'll be able to guide them on how to over come the crash in sterling given he supports the non-budget - no losers you see !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here