[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Kwasi Kwarteng is complete moron

We've reached a point where these people need to be physically removed from office before they make a total bonfire of our economy

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just like the Trump bashing and Biden bashing threads. Which one will you move to “the pit”?

I didn't move either of the above.

Your insinuation is I'm a left-leaner and that I am, by design, manipulating NSC's discourse in that direction.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm naturally right of centre, although I've not been able to bring myself to vote for a Conservative for many years now.

Frankly, I despise the way political discussion happen on here, particularly the way it bleeds into all manner of threads, with petty squabbles between the same few posters ruining those threads for everyone else. It has significantly lessened my enjoyment of using NSC and posting on here, and I know of several decent long-term NSCers who have abandoned the site - they're just sick of the constant sniping from a few people on here. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just confined to designated political threads, but it pollutes al manner of threads that should be free of their tiresome crap.

Maybe I should just move ALL political threads to the pits and have a zero-tolerance to those that take their shit onto other threads.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I didn't move either of the above.

Your insinuation is I'm a left-leaner and that I am, by design, manipulating NSC's discourse in that direction.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm naturally right of centre, although I've not been able to bring myself to vote for a Conservative for many years now.

Frankly, I despise the way political discussion happen on here, particularly the way it bleeds into all manner of threads, with petty squabbles between the same few posters ruining those threads for everyone else. It has significantly lessened my enjoyment of using NSC and posting on here, and I know of several decent long-term NSCers who have abandoned the site - they're just sick of the constant sniping from a few people on here. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just confined to designated political threads, but it pollutes al manner of threads that should be free of their tiresome crap.

Maybe I should just move ALL political threads to the pits and have a zero-tolerance to those that take their shit onto other threads.

I would heartily endorse this approach FWIW

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I would suggest that will probably increase the amount of political postings on other threads if anything

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1574332842825650176[/tweet]

[tweet]1574329155138818051[/tweet]

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Kwasi Kwarteng is complete moron

We've reached a point where these people need to be physically removed from office before they make a total bonfire of our economy
I'll have you know he went to Eton and Trinity. He has a degree in the classics!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
IFrankly, I despise the way political discussion happen on here, particularly the way it bleeds into all manner of threads, with petty squabbles between the same few posters ruining those threads for everyone else. It has significantly lessened my enjoyment of using NSC and posting on here, and I know of several decent long-term NSCers who have abandoned the site - they're just sick of the constant sniping from a few people on here. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just confined to designated political threads, but it pollutes al manner of threads that should be free of their tiresome crap.

To further illustrate my point here - whilst I was typing the above, I was waiting for an ambulance to come and see my mum.

Now, I know from the news, that all health services are stretched and waits for ambulances can be lengthy.

I wanted to post on here asking if anyone in and around Worthing had called for an ambulance recently and how long was the wait, in order to get some level of expectation based on local experiences. However, I didn't because I just knew it would immediately be seized upon by a handful of posters I could almost certainly name in advance who would see the thread as an open invitation to talk about the ****ing Tories trashing the NHS. That may or may not be true, but it isn't what I wanted. I didn't start the thread because I didn't want to deal with what I knew would happen.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just doing a bit of reading / catching up. Appears the value of the pound is recovering because the market is now assuming the BoE will put through an emergency rate rise this week (talk is 0.5%) and then a big hike (more than 1%) in November. If that emergency rate rise doesn't happen, expect the pound to crash again next week.

Also - further sharp rises in Gilt yields this morning, which means the overall cost of all that government borrowing is still climbing. It's also bad news for those with variable mortgages / thinking about getting a mortgage.

Looking at the gilts you'd expect us to have a base rate of 3.25-3.75% by this time next month

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
To further illustrate my point here - whilst I was typing the above, I was waiting for an ambulance to come and see my mum.

Now, I know from the news, that all health services are stretched and waits for ambulances can be lengthy.

I wanted to post on here asking if anyone in and around Worthing had called for an ambulance recently and how long was the wait, in order to get some level of expectation based on local experiences. However, I didn't because I just knew it would immediately be seized upon by a handful of posters I could almost certainly name in advance who would see the thread as an open invitation to talk about the ****ing Tories trashing the NHS. That may or may not be true, but it isn't what I wanted. I didn't start the thread because I didn't want to deal with what I knew would happen.

Here's hoping the ambulance has already turned up to sort your mum :salute:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Did anyone listen to Nikki Campbell this morning between 10 and 11 as I only caught then end of it but they seemed to be having a sensible discussion on the mini-budget. If so, is it worth listening to? Thanks

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
And Rachel Reeves response to this in her big speech? Doing a gurning Truss impression. :ffsparr: I swear she is going to say Pork Markets soon.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I hope your Mum is ok.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I sympathise, we've even seen Brexit references in VAR threads for crying out loud.

I wouldn't want to see all political threads automatically moved to the Pit, at least if you open a thread called 'Liz Truss' you can be pretty certain what it's about, and you can be pretty certain who the main contributors will be and what positions they'll take. Personally I think that's fair enough, but yeah, I think there should be zero tolerance for people who try and bring politics into absolutely everything.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1574329999636791296[/tweet]

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Interesting to see that The Spectator dismissed Rishi's warnings, suggesting he was banking on Project Fear.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sp...ulant-attempt-to-start-a-run-on-the-pound/amp

Screenshot_2022-09-26-13-48-43-140_com.android.chrome.jpg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bank of England statement expected shortly.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
[tweet]1574332842825650176[/tweet]

[tweet]1574329155138818051[/tweet]

I think it was this journalist that wrote the very interesting and detailed assessment the other day, knocking down the 'interest rates were 15% back in my day, it's all a fuss over nothing' argument.

In summary, interest rates at the predicted levels will cause all the pain of the 80s and then some for borrowers because mortgages now form a much, much higher proportion of the household's annual spending.

On the plus side, lots of cheap properties should soon be available so the wealthy can expand their buy to let portfolios.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports