[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I sympathise, we've even seen Brexit references in VAR threads for crying out loud.

I wouldn't want to see all political threads automatically moved to the Pit, at least if you open a thread called 'Liz Truss' you can be pretty certain what it's about, and you can be pretty certain who the main contributors will be and what positions they'll take. Personally I think that's fair enough, but yeah, I think there should be zero tolerance for people who try and bring politics into absolutely everything.

THIS ^^^^ With bells on. There is a particular poster that seems to reval in the "If only we'd known" type posts and uses them in completely non-political threads. I'd suggest shortish site bans for those that do not conform rather than thread bans.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To further illustrate my point here - whilst I was typing the above, I was waiting for an ambulance to come and see my mum.

Now, I know from the news, that all health services are stretched and waits for ambulances can be lengthy.

I wanted to post on here asking if anyone in and around Worthing had called for an ambulance recently and how long was the wait, in order to get some level of expectation based on local experiences. However, I didn't because I just knew it would immediately be seized upon by a handful of posters I could almost certainly name in advance who would see the thread as an open invitation to talk about the ****ing Tories trashing the NHS. That may or may not be true, but it isn't what I wanted. I didn't start the thread because I didn't want to deal with what I knew would happen.

You may find this useful. It is not for ambulances specifically but one assumes that time to being seen by emergency services will map to time to being seen by an ambulance crew

http://www.waittimes.uhnm.nhs.uk/

Hopefully you won't see this message for a while because your mum's process is underway and your hands are full. I hope all goes well :thumbsup:

ps - you shouldn't be anxious about posting on your own forum.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but if tax cuts are given to the lower paid they will spend the money and it will come back into the economy, if given to the wealthy they will just save it and it won’t come back into the economy. Am I missing something here?

A lot of money does not go back into the economy, they go into black holes and end up on some tax haven island somewhere... and even more so, when you buy something in Britain from a company owned by those beloved foreign investors, your money exits the country and ends up in their countries (at best) or their pockets (at worst). Some money may be reinvested, lots won't. In countries where foreign investors own all significant business, there's endless poverty.

If economies worked like they should, they should just about circular... give or take a bit of export/import surplus/deficit. Meaning work would actually create value, meaning living standards should improve in an obscene rate, which isn't the case. If we set emotions and equality aside and look at it in a strictly pragmatic fashion, maybe its for the best as Malthus would quite soon have a few good points if everyone had a good life with lots of spare time and few worries.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As someone who works for a US company that only sells in USD, going to be a bumpy ride for my customers this week / months I think. And I know for sure ‘we’ won’t be subsiding the currency drop

If I were you I'd start asking to be paid in dollars...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
To further illustrate my point here - whilst I was typing the above, I was waiting for an ambulance to come and see my mum.

Now, I know from the news, that all health services are stretched and waits for ambulances can be lengthy.

I wanted to post on here asking if anyone in and around Worthing had called for an ambulance recently and how long was the wait, in order to get some level of expectation based on local experiences. However, I didn't because I just knew it would immediately be seized upon by a handful of posters I could almost certainly name in advance who would see the thread as an open invitation to talk about the ****ing Tories trashing the NHS. That may or may not be true, but it isn't what I wanted. I didn't start the thread because I didn't want to deal with what I knew would happen.

Hope the wait wasn’t too long and that your Mum is getting all the help necessary

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did anyone listen to Nikki Campbell this morning between 10 and 11 as I only caught then end of it but they seemed to be having a sensible discussion on the mini-budget. If so, is it worth listening to? Thanks

Yep, from 09:45, interesting stuff. Opinions of course, even economists never agree and if they were economic clairvoyants they'd be rich beyond their dreams.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001cg6m

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
I didn't move either of the above.

Your insinuation is I'm a left-leaner and that I am, by design, manipulating NSC's discourse in that direction.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm naturally right of centre, although I've not been able to bring myself to vote for a Conservative for many years now.

Frankly, I despise the way political discussion happen on here, particularly the way it bleeds into all manner of threads, with petty squabbles between the same few posters ruining those threads for everyone else. It has significantly lessened my enjoyment of using NSC and posting on here, and I know of several decent long-term NSCers who have abandoned the site - they're just sick of the constant sniping from a few people on here. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just confined to designated political threads, but it pollutes al manner of threads that should be free of their tiresome crap.

Maybe I should just move ALL political threads to the pits and have a zero-tolerance to those that take their shit onto other threads.

I didn’t mean to specifically insinuate you as you’ve made your politics quite clear in previous threads. It was just a lighthearted comment thrown out to highlight the politics of this board in general, which is overwhelmingly left leaning, which also doesn’t bother me. As a famous person once said, “it is what it is”. Really nothing to get so angry about.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but if tax cuts are given to the lower paid they will spend the money and it will come back into the economy

All things being equal, yes. But if those tax cuts are accompanied by a rise in interest rates so that more money is spent paying off a mortgage, then there's less money coming back into the economy,

At the moment, we have a Chancellor promoting growth via tax cuts, while a BoE stifles growth with rate rises. As one commentator described it: driving with foot on accelerator and brake

EDIT: Just seen Bozza's post. Hope your mum is well, Bozza, and gets the help she needs

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Yup, just listening to it now. Very interesting.

Sounded like a bunch of people expressing their own views with the incredibly irritating Nicky Campbell trying to stir it up by dropping in stupid statements like "would you be for it if it worked" into the discussion. Jesus, where do the BBC find these idiots. Could have been interesting without that fool in the middle of it. Couldn't listen to it with that berk involved.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yup, just listening to it now. Very interesting.

Same here. I'm working at the same time so not 100% concentrating, I keep rewinding on key comments from the 3 economists.

How refreshing and most unlike social media/TV news .... they're gently explaining differing economic viewpoints without an ounce of malice or interrupting!!!

I love it, learning stuff.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
A lot of money does not go back into the economy, they go into black holes and end up on some tax haven island somewhere... and even more so, when you buy something in Britain from a company owned by those beloved foreign investors, your money exits the country and ends up in their countries (at best) or their pockets (at worst). Some money may be reinvested, lots won't. In countries where foreign investors own all significant business, there's endless poverty.

If economies worked like they should, they should just about circular... give or take a bit of export/import surplus/deficit. Meaning work would actually create value, meaning living standards should improve in an obscene rate, which isn't the case. If we set emotions and equality aside and look at it in a strictly pragmatic fashion, maybe its for the best as Malthus would quite soon have a few good points if everyone had a good life with lots of spare time and few worries.

Even surplus money that doesn't end up in dubious places will end up in bonds and equities - Most of it will not end up in our economy, it's a fallacy that the tories pedal and some will swallow.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
CX just put out an emergency to try and calm the markets. Has promised a medium term fiscal plan on 23rd Nov and asked OBR to independently assess his tax plans. Perhaps if he had announced the same on Friday there would have been less of a reaction, maybe not, but it suggests either unbelievable arrogance or political ineptness - perhaps both.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Even surplus money that doesn't end up in dubious places will end up in bonds and equities - Most of it will not end up in our economy, it's a fallacy that the tories pedal and some will swallow.

where do you think money invested into bonds goes?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports