Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
CX just put out an emergency to try and calm the markets. Has promised a medium term fiscal plan on 23rd Nov and asked OBR to independently assess his tax plans. Perhaps if he had announced the same on Friday there would have been less of a reaction, maybe not, but it suggests either unbelievable arrogance or political ineptness - perhaps both.

And very shortly after, the BoE pours cold water on prospects of an immediate emergency rate rise. Markets had already priced that in, so the value of sterling (having recovered back to above $1.08 and even peaking just over $1.09 at one point) is now plunging again. Back down to $1.065 as I post this.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
CX just put out an emergency to try and calm the markets. Has promised a medium term fiscal plan on 23rd Nov and asked OBR to independently assess his tax plans. Perhaps if he had announced the same on Friday there would have been less of a reaction, maybe not, but it suggests either unbelievable arrogance or political ineptness - perhaps both.

I'm going with both.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lending to states. France, Germany, US, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, wherever you like. You aren't so naive as to think these funds and their investors favour a 'home' market?

of course it goes anywhere. the point being it does go into investments here or abroad, and vice versa as every £ government is borrowing is coming from somewhere. the real fallacy is that money disappears. even in tax havens, funds are invested somewhere else. an awful lot of £ do go into £ denominated bonds to avoid exchange rate exposure.

Last edited:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I will leave this here
2f194506aecbf2c81942eb889d4cb684.jpg

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I will leave this here
2f194506aecbf2c81942eb889d4cb684.jpg

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Yes, the USD is strong and has been for a while. What these charts don't show, however, is that the value of the pound has *plunged* in the last two trading days vs all the major currencies, not just the USD. The current GBP crisis has nothing to do with USD strength and everything to do with local factors. The fact those local factors are happening against the backdrop of a strong USD just makes matters worse.

Against the following, GBP is down vs 5 days ago:

USD - 5.4% (but it's bouncing around abit - when I first wrote this it was 5.3%
EUR - 3% (and worth noting due to proximity, the EUR has been dragged down as collateral damage)
YEN - 5% (currently closed, so no reaction to latest BoE news)
AUD - 2.9% (and the Aussie markets currently closed, so that's not had a chance to react to the latest BoE news)
CAD - 3.1%

And when I say vs 5 days ago, I've used that as it's easy to grab the numbers. Those losses are entirely since Friday morning's not-a-budget announcement.

Finally, comparing the strength of USD against GBP and the same 4 other major currencies:

GBP - down 5.4% (although this is jumping around a lot right now due to volatility from local factors)
EUR - down 2.2%
YEN - down 0.2% (and until very recently was actually up)
AUD - down 2.4%
CAD - down 2.2%

That GBP figure sticks out like a sore thumb. USD is strong, which accounts for maybe 2.1% to 2.3% worth of lost value. The rest is Kami-Kwasi's not-a-budget - at least 3%. And first thing this morning it was a lot worse. If the BoE remains shy about intervening, you can rest assured the value of the pound will continue to drop faster than the other currencies.

You're also forgetting that when financial traders sell off a currency, a high percentage of them will default to putting the proceeds into USD. USD is the "safe haven". So it's completely unsurprising that other currencies have also dropped against the USD - the exodus from GBP has strengthened USD further.

currency.png

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
More trouble - Virgin Money and Skipton Building Soc have announced that they are withdrawing their mortgage products from sale from later tonight. Halifax have withdrawn all their mortgages that include a fee.

All three are citing the volatility in the markets and increased cost of funding.

Gilts are spiking again as well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

It appears that the BoE are taking lessons from the fine example set. CX postpones a statement for two months amidst a run on the currency and gilts, while the BoE says 'we will not hesitate to change interest rates' while hesitating to change interest rates.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
More trouble - Virgin Money and Skipton Building Soc have announced that they are withdrawing their mortgage products from sale from later tonight. Halifax have withdrawn all their mortgages that include a fee.

All three are citing the volatility in the markets and increased cost of funding.

Gilts are spiking again as well.

Such a damning indictment of a government that was trying to fuel the housing market (ridiculous idea) - I just hope people realise how dangerous and incompetent they are, not that they care.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Are they doing as much damage as possible on purpose, knowing that this will be the last we see of them for three or so elections?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Such a damning indictment of a government that was trying to fuel the housing market (ridiculous idea) - I just hope people realise how dangerous and incompetent they are, not that they care.

They'll blame Labour in a few years time, this nation of thickos will believe them and vote them in again. It always happens

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They'll blame Labour in a few years time, this nation of thickos will believe them and vote them in again. It always happens

Perhaps the ones that you like to deride as thickos are just happy to derail whatever plans superior beings like you would like to implement? I mean, it's not easy to be superior and liked, is it? Tough call for anybody to try and take that on - telling people they're thick and hoping they'll march to your tune. Kudos for anyone brave enough to have a go (although the Greek language could probably provide a more appropriae word than 'kudos', eh?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here